• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gulftown 980X on Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's a couple of bench shots of super pi and wprime on mine with my crippled-*** Asus board. Not as good as Ed's stuff but not too shabby either. I had HT off when running the wprime run. I assume that HT will help a bit there, but I'm not sure. I'm presently trying to get her stable enough to go after some bot points with an old 7900GTX vid card. :D I forgot to include a real temp shot when I captured the other 2 screenshots, so I just captured an idle temp shot on it right now.

Attachments

• superpi 1m.jpg
    superpi 1m.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 422
  • wprime 32m.jpg
    wprime 32m.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 423
  • real temp1.jpg
    real temp1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 420
Looking real good Jim, your voltage and temps are sitting nicely.:thup:
Yes you want to enable HT with WPrime, it will reduce your time quite a lot.

What is the max bclck you got?

I figured that, but forgot I had until after I d/l'ed wprime and was ready to run it. I guess I'll reboot and enable HT and try again.

EDIT: Here is with HT enabled, plus I played with the multi a little, so I could get the ram speed up some more. This ram speed is very close to one of the profiles programed on the spd of the ram.

Attachments

• wprime 32m run2.jpg
    wprime 32m run2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
@muddocktor: Thanks for moving this thread here. It is great to see some 980X air clock action. What batch is your chip? A or B?

Nice clocks... Mr. "Brolloks"

@muddocktor: Thanks for moving this thread here. It is great to see some 980X air clock action. What batch is your chip? A or B?

Nice clocks... Mr. "Brolloks"

B- its shows right there in CPUz

Nice clocks guys. man how long before we start seeing these in the classifieds lol

I've been experimenting with bclock some more and have it over 200. I just ran a 3dmark 05 run with an old 7900GTX and this is what I got out of the old girl with this 980X. I know it doesn't look like much compared to a more modern gpu but that's all I have to play with in my test rig.

Attachments

• 3dmark5 run1.jpg
    3dmark5 run1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 402
nice work Brollocks and mud.

I was slightly disappointed at the temps UNTIL I re-read it and realized it was AIR

omg. Can't wait to get my hands on it. 4.8 folding here I come :D

Very nice Jim, curious to know if most of these can take high (>200) bclck, something which was lacking in previous Xtreme CPU's.

Those of you guys rocking 32nm 1366 chips, how does uncore scale voltage? And have you tried clocking it at anything higher than the default setting, or just a notch about the default setting?

He's pumping cold air directly from an AC unit into the PC if I remember right. Something like that, looking at his idle temps.

So it's air cooling, but not normal room temps.

Amazing results, very well done.

B- its shows right there in CPUz

Nice clocks guys. man how long before we start seeing these in the classifieds lol

Does that revision letter in CPUz corrospond to the letter of the cpu's batch #?

Brolloks chip has a batch #3003B242. So a 980X with a batch # of 3003A957 will show revision A in CPUz?

Hey "muddocktor"... I still would like to know your chip's batch number (assuming that you don't object).

Very nice Jim, curious to know if most of these can take high (>200) bclck, something which was lacking in previous Xtreme CPU's.

I don't know how well the previous i7-9xx Extreme's handled high bclock, since this is my first experience with one. I will have to go with your experience on this, Ed. And yes, I am curious to see more peoples experience with these Hex core Extremes.

Those of you guys rocking 32nm 1366 chips, how does uncore scale voltage? And have you tried clocking it at anything higher than the default setting, or just a notch about the default setting?

Since this is my first experience with any i7 system, I don't even know which setting that is in bios. I'm just glad that MIAH has that great guide published on the front page to help me out. :thup:

Does that revision letter in CPUz corrospond to the letter of the cpu's batch #?

Brolloks chip has a batch #3003B242. So a 980X with a batch # of 3003A957 will show revision A in CPUz?

Hey "muddocktor"... I still would like to know your chip's batch number (assuming that you don't object).

Only thing that ever displays the batch # is the retail box, and the IHS of the chip itself.

Back