• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100 Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekneeQ

Hi guys, I'm pretty new in the over clocking world (only 2 years), and I recently purchased an H100 to cool my i7 960. It idles and 40c at 4ghz, and I can't seem to get it to idle lower now matter what I've tried. I have redone the thermal paste 3 different ways and made sure to clean both the cpu and the mount properly each time. I've used arctic 5, and diamond but they really didn't make any difference. I've even mounted the radiator outside the case but it still won't idle under 40c and prime95 puts it up in the 70s. Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm pretty new in the over clocking world (only 2 years), and I recently purchased an H100 to cool my i7 960. It idles and 40c at 4ghz, and I can't seem to get it to idle lower now matter what I've tried. I have redone the thermal paste 3 different ways and made sure to clean both the cpu and the mount properly each time. I've used arctic 5, and diamond but they really didn't make any difference. I've even mounted the radiator outside the case but it still won't idle under 40c and prime95 puts it up in the 70s. Is there anything else I can do?

First the paste. A little dot in the center of the cpu, about the size of a match head is all that is needed. Next I will assume you are running the 2 stock fans that came with it?? If so you may want to consider the purchase of 4 nice and quiet but good performing fans for a push/pull setup. Do you have the fans plugged into H100 or into a fan controller? What is ambient temp in room where case is located? Is rad pulling air from outside or from within case?

First the paste. A little dot in the center of the cpu, about the size of a match head is all that is needed. Next I will assume you are running the 2 stock fans that came with it?? If so you may want to consider the purchase of 4 nice and quiet but good performing fans for a push/pull setup. Do you have the fans plugged into H100 or into a fan controller? What is ambient temp in room where case is located? Is rad pulling air from outside or from within case?

I have 4 noctua NF-S12B fans doing a push pull right now mounted on the side of my case pulling outside air. The room temp is in the 60s on average.

I have 4 noctua NF-S12B fans doing a push pull right now mounted on the side of my case pulling outside air. The room temp is in the 60s on average.

What does contact look like when you reseated the block?

I just checked temps on my Lapped 980x running under a H100 Room temp is 68F and idle is 30c full load is 60c on highest core. So I would say you have average temps! May have a warm running 960. Did you run it on air?

Idle temps don't matter and are completely relative to the ambient temperature of the room/case. Load temps are the only one that matters. If you're pushing 1.3v+ to get 4ghz, hitting 70 under full load is perfectly normal. Remember X58 chips run a lot hotter than Sandy bridge if that's what you're comparing it to.

Idle temps don't matter and are completely relative to the ambient temperature of the room/case. Load temps are the only one that matters. If you're pushing 1.3v+ to get 4ghz, hitting 70 under full load is perfectly normal. Remember X58 chips run a lot hotter than Sandy bridge if that's what you're comparing it to.

Totally forgot to ask what voltage he was pushing. Just started first cup of coffee! Yeah that's a good excuse.:D

Haha fair enough excuse ;).

If it makes a difference, OP; my i7 930 at only 1.25v hits 75 max load under IBT during Aus Winter time, and hits 85 ish during my summer. My ambient temps are quite bad though during both winter and summer. :p. My room's not the best for high-end computer hardware... >.>

I see so it's the x58 chipset that's causing the heat? When my room is freezing cold, the cores still idle at 32-37 and load at 40-45.

The CPU temp has nothing to do with the chipset ;) Bloomfields just run extremely hot, largely because of the IMC/QPI. Check your QPI/VTT voltage - if you have it set to auto, chances are it's far too high, and a high QPI/VTT voltage generates a lot of unnecessary heat.

I had a lapped i7 920 until recently and it idled at 40-45 in a cool room with the very best air cooling.

Hardass said:
I just checked temps on my Lapped 980x running under a H100 Room temp is 68F and idle is 30c full load is 60c on highest core. So I would say you have average temps!

Don't forget that your 980X is only 32nm - it has the same 130W TDP as all the Bloomfields but being 32nm it is much more efficient and will therefore run a lot cooler when idling. My 990X @ 4GHz, 1.2v, idles at about 20-25C and full load in LinX (linpack) is only 55C on the hottest core; by comparison, my 920 @ 4GHz, 1.3v, was 40C idle and anything from 75-85C on the hottest core, depending what fans I had on the cooler. :)

70c is fine, but a little warm. Have you tried lowering the cpu volt down 1 notch at a time.. volt=heat. So you might be able to drop the voltage a little lower and still be stable and also lower the heat.

Back