• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H60 Problems(Continued)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperTuner12010

I know have 3 threads open. I hate having so many threads on the same topic open. But the new problem is sort of good. So to get the proper input I thought it would be better to start a new thread with none of the bs from the last.

Long story short, I have my 965be at 3.8ghz at 1.38v. Temps were at 38 on idle, and just past 55 during prime. After trying to figure out what was wrong...Iv decided to get 2 new matched fans for the rad. And some new paste and to re seat the block. As suggested I may have overtightened to the point that the sides were so tight the center of the block lifted just so lightly.

Last night, pulled the door off the case. Rad and hoses were both very cool to the touch. May have tapped the block with my fingers. The pump is pumping though. I then loosened the block a tad on both edges. The retightened them down, not sure why if I thought they were too loose. I guess I figured that the paste would have gotten bubbles or something.

Well just checked my temps this morning. Idle is now 30c, max temp under prime was 47c.

This has me mind boggled. I dobnt believe that the loosening and re tigthening would have changed the temps that much much. The only thing I can think is maybe when I tapped the block, I let an air bubble loose or soemthing. Is this possible? To have bubbles even though its a fully closed loop?

Now I do have to say the temps in my room are about 5 lower than usual. I honestly dont believe this to be the culprit. Or could it? I just dont see that big of a chnge from just a slight change in the outside air. Then again, if the 4x120mm side fans are bringing in air 5c cooler, the fans from the h60 would be pulling relitively cooler air into and exhausting out. But then the rad has always been very cool to the touch, the air in my case is very cool.

Any thoughts? Im lost now. Still going to experiment with fans, going to turn the ones I have now around so they are intake.

Please do not create multiple threads for the same topic, because readers/repliers then have to try to track down your other threads to see what has been said before and how you've come to this point in the topic. Also, you can end up with people replying to both threads which can get confusing. The moderators tend to discourage doing that around here.

There's a good chance that when you loosened and then retightened the block it redistributed the paste and gave you a better mount, which then lowered your temps to where they should be. With a bad mount I've seen as much as 15°C+ above that of normal, and just having bad distribution of paste can cause an increase in temps.

I don't know that you can get an air bubble caught in a closed-loop system; I'd say it's possible, however it is unlikely to happen.

Yes, I agree with the request to not resort to multiple threads. Actually they all do relate to the same problem. Perhaps we could ask a moderator to combine them.

I am of the opinion (and it has also been my experience) a superior thermal paste can shave several degrees of temps. Arctic Cooling MX2 and MX4 and Arctic Silver 5 are all excellent pastes and very economical. Paste must be applied correctly as well in order to get good heat transfer. Too much or too little can have a negative result. Start with a dollup a little larger than a BB. Before applying the new, however, make sure you clean both water block and CPU face well with a paper coffee filter moistened with some rubbing alcohol.

As far as fans, there are two approaches with a self-contained kit water cooler like yours. One is to draw cool air from outside the case across the radiator. This might seem the best at first glance but has the disadvantage of adding the warmed air coming off the radiator to the inside of the case and causing motherboard components to run hotter. The other is to use the prewarmed case air to cool the radiator and then exhaust it to the outside. This may make the CPU run hotter but may be better for other components. You should experiment with both approaches to see which works better for you. The answer is not the same for every system since it depends on other factors such as how good is overall case ventilation. The best arrangement is to have both the radiator and the radiator fans on the outside of the case and separated from it, usually found in custom built water setups or the more expensive kits like the Corsair H100.

Last edited:
Long story short, I have my 965be at 3.8ghz at 1.38v. Temps were at 38 on idle, and just past 55 during prime.

Well just checked my temps this morning. Idle is now 30c, max temp under prime was 47c.

Now I do have to say the temps in my room are about 5 lower than usual.

5C or 5F? If it is 5C like you say, well there is the reason your cpu is cooler :) The matched fans probably helped too.

Back