• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Handheld SETI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gravity Man

I've been looking around for a PDA, and I was wondering if it were possible to run SETI on a PDA running windows CE or linux. I know it would take days, maybe weeks to complete a WU, but I'd like to just for the heck of it. :D

Hahahahah.... I was thinking about this... Would you keep the PDA on 24/7 so it could crunch? You'd be spending $20 a week on batteries for the thing, that doesn't sound too appealing for 1 WU :D

-Joe

Linux possibly, but I'm not sure. I know it won't run under CE. It could probably be done, but it would require changing the seti client code, and that's considered a hacked client.

Yeah. That was kinda like my idea for Seti on a Dreamcast.

You would need a Seti executable that can run on the PDA. Linux is available for alot of PDAs because the source code is readily available and can be compiled to run on the cpu of the PDA (which isn't x86 compatible of course). And since Seti isn't available as source code, unless the programmers are willing to make an executable available for that platform, you and me are pretty much SOL.:(

Back