• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone figured out how to...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fast420A

Has anyone figured out how to mount a standard heatsink on the Socket 754 DTR chips with no heat spreader? Looks like I can just shave down the 6 spots on the plastic piece and it will be low enough, I just need to figure out how much to shave off.

In fact, anyone know the thickness of the IHS on the AMD64's? Not the edge of the IHS but the thickness of the material from the top of the core to the bottom of the heatsink.

Seems like taking off the 4 nubs on the plastic piece was all it needed but I went ahead and ran the plastic piece across some sand paper just incase. Now the 3400 DTR is running fine with a TR2TT heatsink using the stock mounting bracket.

I clipped off the 4 little nubs on the plastic bracket and sanded it smooth so the heatsink sits flush on the plastic. Then I ran the other side of the bracket on some sandpaper to bring the overall height down a little and it works fine now and actually is quiet and cool for an AMD.

Gentleman said:
How bout some pics?
I guess I could snap a few pics and put them up. I have the PC together though and don't feel like taking it apart to show pics of the mods I did but we'll see.

With some heatsinks (without a step like socket A heatsinks) you may also have to sand down the cam box cover if its too high.

Here's some pics of the build. It's for someones portable studio rig and in a rack mount case.

AMD002.jpg

AMD001.jpg

Whoah those purp ribbon IDE cables are dope. Any socket closeups, or is that askin too much of your camera? (mine can barely do them :()

Back