• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have I made a good choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7shades

20150528_153630_zpsw4lamdrz.jpg

Hi everyone!
I just purchased the components on the above pic. I have been saving for ever in order to do a little upgrade to my rig.
My current specs are:
Mobo>Msi H81m-p33
Cpu> g3258
Gpu >msi gtx 750ti
Ram>kingston genesis 2x 2gb
Psu>(i believe )coolermaster 500w (it was a gift)
Ssd 2x 120 kingston hyperx 120gb + an old 500gb laptop hdd
I have bought the new components after many months of internet research and would like to know if the upgrades will have a significant impact on my gameplay?
From what I've found out, the new mobo will make overclocking my pentium a bit easier? I haven't been able to go over 3.7 on my msi mobo.
Also could someone point me to an assembly guide? Dunno if im going to be overwhelmed by the connections and what not.
Thanks in advanced!
Cheers!

I think it depends on what you were trying to accomplish. You likely aren't going to get a huge FPS increase with the items that you purchased (generally that is left to the GPU and to a lesser extent the CPU). It certainly doesn't hurt to add a solid state drive and more memory and a motherboard that supports overclocking, just don't expect any huge gains.

For gaming, not too much, no as you have the same videocard.

You could have saved some coin and got a non overclockcentric motherboard. You went from a board that limited you in overclocking in H81, to a board that was overkill for your overclocking.

The G3258 CPU can choke in any games that can use 2 or more threads which gets more and more daily. A lot of AAA titles already use more than 2 cores.

Thanks for the reply, I really want a small factor pc, I find them more aesthetically pleasing. i had in mind (dunno if clever) was to soon-ish upgrade my psu and buy another 750ti and put them in sli. The gpu will have to wait since I cannot afford it right now!

Well, any of these mATX mobos would have been solid choices for your needs and saved you up to $100.

I wouldn't SLI 750Ti personally. The 2GB of vRAM will soon be a limit at 1080p in more titles than it already is. You would have the horsepower, but not the needed vRAM to run games high/ultra settings without sacrifices.

As far as your PSU, which model is it specifically? If you stick with a single card, and the PSU is decent, you can not spend on the PSU and put that towards a better, single GPU.

Can you return these parts? If your goal is to get better FPS in games and better overclocking, we can likely help out with that goal. As it stands, unless you are CPU limited, what you bought will not help a lot with FPS in games.

Wow... a lot of money spent for minimal gains there...

+1 to EarthDog, can you return those parts?

I am almost positive the 750ti doesn't support SLI, so that wouldn't work.

Back