• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have you ever thought what a fan would do to your finger?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had an all metal 120 v radio shack fan on my first water cooling rig, on a bottom mounted Taurus heater core. It didn't get my finger, but it took a male/female molex connection right off the wires and shut the computer down!...it got a screen installed that evening.
The worst I'd done was three knuckles against the hexagon fan grate in an old Antec Piano Black. I don't think I ever found the screwdriver I threw a second later! Lol

I can't remember who it was here that adamantly warned against naked overclocking...:shock:

That spoiler was awesome! Can you imagine the agony? They probably juiced that hand up with some narcotics :thup:

I lost chunks of knuckles here and there over the years.. I've always been aware that my fans can cause bodily harm so I've tried to keep appendages away, tho not always successful. Bet your finger stings a bit still :D

Suddenly, I have a strange craving for steak.... I can almost smell it....

/pyscho

Damnit rollie, Im pretty iron in the stomach department, but man that was rough haha.

That spoiler was awesome! Can you imagine the agony? They probably juiced that hand up with some narcotics :thup:

I lost chunks of knuckles here and there over the years.. I've always been aware that my fans can cause bodily harm so I've tried to keep appendages away, tho not always successful. Bet your finger stings a bit still :D

Tell you the truth it doesn't actually hurt, it burnt when I first done it for 5 minutes and it stopped, no blood or anything, just the nail's missing, that's all, lol

that spoiler is pretty awesome, was obviously some kind of multi blade slicer no doubt for food service. reminds me of this,

planecut_zps765a437b.jpg~original

Last edited:
Been there, done that. Hurts.
Looks like a ~2000RPM job if it's a 120mm, maybe 3000 if it's an 80.

That's what did almost exactly that to my finger, years back.
3500RPM 80mm thing.

You have my sympathy.

that spoiler is pretty awesome, was obviously some kind of multi blade slicer no doubt for food service. reminds me of this,

planecut_zps765a437b.jpg~original

I remember seeing a pic of a guys finger that went into a paper shredder that looked like that....i want to run a stick down it to see if it makes a noise like a picket fence.....the internet has ruined me.

I remember seeing a pic of a guys finger that went into a paper shredder that looked like that....i want to run a stick down it to see if it makes a noise like a picket fence.....the internet has ruined me.

just did a image look up of the spoiler alert and that's exactly what it said happened, she tried to get some paper out... oops.

Great. Now I know what's in the spoiler, and that plane has me shuddering now. :screwy:

If there's blood, I'm miles away. I don't like the stuff.

Man I sound weird now that I read that.

"I once over volted a delta until the RPMs reached 16,000+ and one of the blades shattered and embedded itself about an inch and a half into my thigh.

Needlenose+Bounty+Duct Tape and I continued on with my "testing"...but it hurt the next day, lol.

Good times....good times..."

I could not stop laughings... I am running 12 high power Delta fan 38mm thick for my radiators. I have safety guard on 10 of them. You are really looking for trouble try to spin the delta up 16k rpm. I keep mine maximun at 5k....

I remember my 92mm Vantec Tornado cut me up pretty badly once, I bled like a stuck pig. Luckily it didn't hit my nail. I'm much more careful when working around high speed fans now.

I got to see the aftermath when a homemade model airplane crashed into a person. The plane itself wasn't going fast enough to do any real damage but the propellers definitely made for some very nasty cuts. I'd imagine a high end PC fan would be similar.

On a side note, a high powered 80mm fan connected to a battery pack makes a very good "fly swatter". It works especially well for tiny bugs that don't set off bug zappers.

oh yeah. I got 2 80mm 38mm 9000rpm delta fan. I attached the fan on a bracket and playing with the pwm controller I bought from Bobnova here. At 9k rpm the fan can blasting air at you from 6-7 feets away. When I was holding on the the bracket. I was holding it tight and I felt the torque of the fan.

done that with a tornado before iirc it took off the nail and sliced up the finger pretty good. Also the fan didnt survive either snapped off a blade. Deffo made me get grills for them lol. Was playing around with slk800a's on a Barton 2500 trying to get a 92mm tornado onto a heatsink made for 80mm fans lol.

Last edited:
done that with a tornado before iirc it took off the nail and sliced up the finger pretty good. Also the fan didnt survive either snapped off a blade. Deffo made me get grills for them lol. Was playing around with slk900's on a Barton 2500 trying to get a 92mm tornado onto a heatsink made for 80mm fans lol.

That's exactly what I was doing w/my Vantec Tornado. I managed to get a pretty good overclock out of my old T-bird (non-Barton) before it finally died and took my motherboard with it.

I went to a LAN party once w/the above system, everyone noticed when I powered it down.

oh yeah. I got 2 80mm 38mm 9000rpm delta fan. I attached the fan on a bracket and playing with the pwm controller I bought from Bobnova here. At 9k rpm the fan can blasting air at you from 6-7 feets away. When I was holding on the the bracket. I was holding it tight and I felt the torque of the fan.

Talk about living dangerously. Are those the fans Bobnova mentioned that can hover?

I got to see the aftermath when a homemade model airplane crashed into a person. The plane itself wasn't going fast enough to do any real damage but the propellers definitely made for some very nasty cuts. I'd imagine a high end PC fan would be similar.

On a side note, a high powered 80mm fan connected to a battery pack makes a very good "fly swatter". It works especially well for tiny bugs that don't set off bug zappers.

NHMike, do they still have model airplanes that use two-stroke engines? Or have they been banned?

Last edited by a moderator:
well went and looked at the old thread I posted that on...on another forum and well dang i didnt take any pics but the post reminded me the nail stayed on but finger was a bloody mess lol.

Back