• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having issues overclock the 5930k please advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evamodel00

Hey all I just built a new p.c. with the specs below.

Components:
MOBO - Gigabyte X99 G1 Gaming Wifi
Processor - I7 5930K
Cooler - Corsair H100i
Memory - 16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2600MHZ
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 980 Windforce
Power Supply - EVGA 1300W Gold

However, I am running into an issue when trying to overclock the cpu via the bios. At first what I did was I just used easytuner and set it to run everytime the p.c. starts up. I set it to 4.1 GHz and did a stress test, all was well. Many people told me though that it would be better to do it from the bios as the auto-oc software sets voltages too high.

So being told that, I went into the bios to play around. I had trouble at first because for some reason none of my OC settings would hold. Whether it be a bios version issue or whatever, it wasn't working. I upgraded the bios to the most recent version and tried again. This time it save my settings. However I kept running into my current issue. I keep getting bluescreens for MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I did enable the XMP profile in my bios. For the settings I tried I did,

Core Voltage - did anywhere from 1.20-1.25
Base Clock - 100MHz
CPU Multiplier - 43 (as this was my goal)
CPU Input voltage - left it at the default which was 1.8 i believe (maybe 1.28? I forget, whatever the intel default is)?.

The highest I did the voltage was 1.25, in which I was able to get into windows, run a stress test, and then it crashed afterwards.

After this, I tried one other thing in the bios. The bios as well has an "auto-overclock" feature called p.c. upgrade. It just shows your processor name with a bunch of clock settings in .1 ghz increments. So I selected 4.3 and the voltage and everything else auto-adjusted. did a stress test, same results. Ran ok and then crashed within 30 minutes.

I looked up the dump code and it said that it was a bad ram stick which I don't think is correct. Reason being, after this was all said and done I just went back to easytune and bumped it to 4.3 GHz. Everything is fine. It's weird because the easy tune settings are exactly the same as far as core voltage goes when compared to the settings I (as well as pc upgrade) set in the bios. So I am wondering what is going on with that.

Easy tune set it to the following settings for 4.3GHz
VID Voltage = 1.250
IA = 1.28V
System Agent Offset + 0.409.

I did stress testing with this. Temps at idle are at around 25 max 28. Temps under load in asus realbench were around 60-65, 68 max. This has been running games and stress tests for 24 hours now with no problems.

Do you think I should just stick with overclocking via easytune? My goal is to have it so it's at non-overbearing speed at idle but goes to 4.3GHz for gaming which I think is what easy tune is accomplishing. OCing is all very new to me so any advice is welcome.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

P.S. one other thing that bugs me that I could not get to change and maybe you all know why is (I have Windows 8.1), even when the overclocking settings did hold, my task manager and system properties still listed my processor as being 3.5GHz. Task manager said max speed was 3.5GHz (although obviously it showed the current speed as going up to 4.3Ghz under load), and system properties showed my processor as 5930k 3.5GHz @ 3.5GHz which is weird to me as whenever I OCed a processor in the past in the bios, that value would change.

So right now, this is all a mystery.:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Hey all I just built a new p.c. with the specs below.

Components:
MOBO - Gigabyte X99 G1 Gaming Wifi
Processor - I7 5930K
Cooler - Corsair H100i
Memory - 16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2600MHZ
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 980 Windforce
Power Supply - EVGA 1300W Gold

However, I am running into an issue when trying to overclock the cpu via the bios. At first what I did was I just used easytuner and set it to run everytime the p.c. starts up. I set it to 4.1 GHz and did a stress test, all was well. Many people told me though that it would be better to do it from the bios as the auto-oc software sets voltages too high.

So being told that, I went into the bios to play around. I had trouble at first because for some reason none of my OC settings would hold. Whether it be a bios version issue or whatever, it wasn't working. I upgraded the bios to the most recent version and tried again. This time it save my settings. However I kept running into my current issue. I keep getting bluescreens for MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I did enable the XMP profile in my bios. For the settings I tried I did,

Core Voltage - did anywhere from 1.20-1.25
Base Clock - 100MHz
CPU Multiplier - 43 (as this was my goal)
CPU Input voltage - left it at the default which was 1.8 i believe (maybe 1.28? I forget, whatever the intel default is)?.

The highest I did the voltage was 1.25, in which I was able to get into windows, run a stress test, and then it crashed afterwards.

After this, I tried one other thing in the bios. The bios as well has an "auto-overclock" feature called p.c. upgrade. It just shows your processor name with a bunch of clock settings in .1 ghz increments. So I selected 4.3 and the voltage and everything else auto-adjusted. did a stress test, same results. Ran ok and then crashed within 30 minutes.

I looked up the dump code and it said that it was a bad ram stick which I don't think is correct. Reason being, after this was all said and done I just went back to easytune and bumped it to 4.3 GHz. Everything is fine. It's weird because the easy tune settings are exactly the same as far as core voltage goes when compared to the settings I (as well as pc upgrade) set in the bios. So I am wondering what is going on with that.

Easy tune set it to the following settings for 4.3GHz
VID Voltage = 1.250
IA = 1.28V
System Agent Offset + 0.409.

I did stress testing with this. Temps at idle are at around 25 max 28. Temps under load in asus realbench were around 60-65, 68 max. This has been running games and stress tests for 24 hours now with no problems.

Do you think I should just stick with overclocking via easytune? My goal is to have it so it's at non-overbearing speed at idle but goes to 4.3GHz for gaming which I think is what easy tune is accomplishing. OCing is all very new to me so any advice is welcome.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

P.S. one other thing that bugs me that I could not get to change and maybe you all know why is (I have Windows 8.1), even when the overclocking settings did hold, my task manager and system properties still listed my processor as being 3.5GHz. Task manager said max speed was 3.5GHz (although obviously it showed the current speed as going up to 4.3Ghz under load), and system properties showed my processor as 5930k 3.5GHz @ 3.5GHz which is weird to me as whenever I OCed a processor in the past in the bios, that value would change.

So right now, this is all a mystery.:mad::mad::mad:

Just an update on this: It actually did bluescreen after using the easytune oc settings. It took a lot longer, but it still did. It only seems to do it when using the xmp profile for my RAM.

Back