• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDPE injection molded Reservoirs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skane

I just installed one of those DD/Swifty reservoirs (the white plastic ones). Noticed one design glitch --- the fill hole doesn't allow full bleeding of the res. so there's always a fairly large air pocket. If the res. is installed flat (as intended), there's a contiuous splashing / gurgling sound. I'm running mine at an angle with the fill hole side tilted up to minimize noise. Anyone else notice this with these res's? Any way to easily minimize the size of that air pocket? The threading that accepts the fill plug extends about halfway through the res. so it's difficult to fill it up. I'm thinking of dumping it and going back to a T line or PVC res.

skane said:
I just installed one of those DD/Swifty reservoirs (the white plastic ones). Noticed one design glitch --- the fill hole doesn't allow full bleeding of the res. so there's always a fairly large air pocket. If the res. is installed flat (as intended), there's a contiuous splashing / gurgling sound. I'm running mine at an angle with the fill hole side tilted up to minimize noise. Anyone else notice this with these res's? Any way to easily minimize the size of that air pocket? The threading that accepts the fill plug extends about halfway through the res. so it's difficult to fill it up. I'm thinking of dumping it and going back to a T line or PVC res.

I have the very first one in my rig ;) Tilt up slightly fill, tilt again fill...after you "burp" it a few times it will be full to the top. I think most guys figured out this trick. However, the fill issue has been addressed and corrected for future revisions. Feel free to email me at CoolingWorks or PM me if you have any problems getting it filled:)

Thanks for the reply, ya, I tilted it at all angles and ran the loop to top it off as much as possible. Would be nice to have a better design on the fill plug so you can fill it or top it off while it's mounted in the bay. Maybe I'll check out "rev. 2".

skane said:
Thanks for the reply, ya, I tilted it at all angles and ran the loop to top it off as much as possible.".

If you fill the counter sunk hole and tilt, it should work out for you...give it a shot. It works for me every time. I filled this one like that...

DSCF0018.gif

skane said:
Would be nice to have a better design on the fill plug so you can fill it or top it off while it's mounted in the bay.

Noted, its a minor modification and it has been implemented in house by some of the kit producers already. BTW it is just a hole at a 30Deg angle through the threads...easy mod just make sure it is a "clean" hole. ;)

Last edited:
i have a DD HDPE bay res - i love the thing

and mine isnt filled all the way, but most of the way by tilting it back and to the side

plus the stepped design prevents any of that air from getting sucked into the loop

i'm not crazy about the large bit of air that you can't get rid of either, but not having to worry about your acrylic come apart on you is worth it me.

Lothar5150 said:
Noted, its a minor modification and it has been implemented in house by some of the kit producers already. BTW it is just a hole at a 30Deg angle through the threads...easy mod just make sure it is a "clean" hole. ;)

Lothar5150, do you have a pic of this mod? I'd be interested in doing it next time I drain the system. What size bit to use? I'm not sure where the o-ring makes a seal, so I'd appreciate a pic to avoid drilling in the wrong place. Thanks

skane said:
Lothar5150, do you have a pic of this mod? I'd be interested in doing it next time I drain the system. What size bit to use? I'm not sure where the o-ring makes a seal, so I'd appreciate a pic to avoid drilling in the wrong place. Thanks

ditto!

This picture is not intended to advertise for anyone. However, it is the only pic I could find on the web that shows the mod.

The mod is the hole just below the plane of the counter bore. The hole is normally punched but you can use a #36 if you’re very very careful not to flatten the threads.
svcompucycle_1827_80940432

I noticed the "sound" of swishing water, and it drove me nuts. So, I used a 'Y' on the return and used both return holes. This reduced velocity and noise but not flow.

yes, because the countersunk threads for the fill plug go fairly deep into the res., the hole lets air escape and allows liquid to fill the remaining air gap, without having to tilt the res.

Back