• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat @ Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ravara

is it just me or does the heatsink under the Cpu slot gets insanely hot? i believe 50-60* celsius? atleast you cant touch it without it burns you softly ive notiched its one of the few parts the pc doesnt measure heat show as in HWmonitor and so on but still wondering if its my board thats running to the graveyard or its normal? :)

*And another thing*
when clocking what is recommended with Load Line Calibration - due to what ive seen my Cpu voltage can spike quite nasty and im not sure what to think about it my max was 1,45V where my bios is set to 1,36V

Heat beast.jpg

Last edited:
Two things on that board need to be watched out for.
Once is that AUTO LLC will set it very high sometimes. Set it manually to "low" or whatever works well for you.
The other is that "Core Performance Boost" adds about 0.2v to the "stock" vcore. It should be disabled.

EDIT:
Ha I should read more.
That heatsink and the MOSFET heatsink need airflow. Normally they get airflow from the CPU heatsink, but in this case there is no CPU heatsink.
I would add a small fan to the hot one, or a large fan in the general area.

Use the lowest LLC setting on these boards. Regular will add about .03 to .05v depending on how heavy the load is. I rock my 8120 on 1.25v and @ full load LLC will push it to 1.3 solidly which is all I ever needed to get 4.2-4.4ghz stable. IMO just adjust LLC to stabilize your system, because the only reason to go above 1.25vCore on these chips outside of sub zero benching is when you hit the point where it wont boot with 1.25v(around 4.8ghz) and honestly there just isnt much point in overclocking higher than that anyways.

I have the same mobo with 1055T, the northbridge heatsink is hot as hell, even while idling and stock CPU speed + cool 'n quiet on.

I immediately noticed this when I got mine. I've read a lot about this and Gigabyte says they have tested it up to 80 or 90 degrees. Even with an 80mm fan and some poorly rigged heat sinks working on it it's still pretty warm. I've also had a hard time finding a NB cooler that fits because the anchors are far apart. It does kinda suck but if you're like me it's a good excuse to get into water cooling. <<edit I see you have, maybe you should make a second loop for it....

Edit: This temperature thing worries me because there were a ton of one type of Nvidia NB doing this a while back and I was replacing several motherboards per month on these cheap machines because it was melting the TIM off then burning up. Our NB chips are getting especially hot considering they aren't doing double duty on video.

Last edited:
How hot the heatsink is isn't an accurate way to determine if it's actually hot in a way that matters. The whole point of a heatsink is to draw the heat away, and the better it does its job the hotter it will feel unless the part in question generates almost no heat.

With that said, TMPIN1 in HWMonitor should be the actual chipset northbridge that you circled.

Back