• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink causing booting issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaosbutterfly

So my heatsink is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207009

My mobo is a MSI p35 platinum, lga 775, with a Q6600

I think the backplate is shorting something. I checked clearances and nothing seems to be touching though. After I put on the heatsink, I'll test if it boots past the CPU stage, and it will. Then after I wait a little bit it won't boot. But if I take the heatsink off, it boots.

It could be the weight of the heatsink is bowing the mobo and causing it to short on the case, but that has even more clearance than the backplate.

I really do not want to use the Intel heatsink, especially because the push pins are getting old and not working properly.

I'm considering plastidipping the entire back of the motherboard and/or the heatsink backplate. I know the company that makes plastidip has a stronger insulator coating, but computer voltages are relatively low...

Anybody else have experience with a heatsink that creates booting problems?

You can confirm if it's a shorting issue or not by putting a couple layers of electrical tape on the backplate before resorting to plastic dipping it.
And instead of dipping it (if that is the issue) brush on plastic dip so you don't have to fight with bolt holes being filled.

I've also cut out a layer of thin cardboard/heavy card stock to insulate a cheap backplate, held in place with a little scotch tape.

:welcome: to the forums!

You can confirm if it's a shorting issue or not by putting a couple layers of electrical tape on the backplate before resorting to plastic dipping it.
And instead of dipping it (if that is the issue) brush on plastic dip so you don't have to fight with bolt holes being filled.

I've also cut out a layer of thin cardboard/heavy card stock to insulate a cheap backplate, held in place with a little scotch tape.

:welcome: to the forums!

^ This.

Everything he said, +1.

:welcome:

Unsure, but does that sink come with a backplate? Can't see in any od newegg's pics. It can also be you're over-tightening the screws thus bending the board.

I'll try the cardboard trick.

The motherboard does bend a little bit, but I'm only finger tightening the screws. The backplate only supports the 4 post areas, so the CPU mount area bends into the backplate (still a good 2mm of clearance).

I just noticed the backplate already does have a thin thin thin layer of clear film over it, so it may not be the backplate itself.

The weight of the heatsink might be causing the mobo to short out on the mobo tray. Cardboard time!

What's really throwing me off is that it WILL boot immediately after I install the heatsink, but not soon after. Maybe the mobo takes a bit of time to distort?

Another note is that I that the double-sided adhesive washers that go over the nuts are a little bit messed up after I removed the heatsink, but again, don't think that's my main problem.

Here are pics of the heatsink.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1262567/2012-02-06 12.20.48.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1262567/2012-02-06 12.20.38.jpg

As a side note, this forum has some awesome smileys. Especially these two.:comp::facepalm:

Sorry to necro this, but I'm still having problems.

I coated the backplate in plastidip, and put cardboard so the mobo wouldn't bend.

Still getting the same odd problem.

I need to see if I can get the system to BIOS menu without the HSF in (I've had my GPU out while I try fix the CPU problem).

I doubt you'll get to BIOS before it's overheated, let alone do anything with it. It only takes a second or two before it's overheated (and hopefully it shuts down before it's damaged).
Did the CPU come with a heatsink you could use for now?

**BTW, did you coat both sides of the backplate? I wonder if it's touching the motherboard tray, giving a short a ground to go to...

Last edited:
I coated both sides.

I wish I could use the Intel HSF, but I think I messed up the retention pins when removing it.

Well then...Start from the beginning.
There's no clear film that needs to be removed from the heatsink base.
Thermal paste is applied properly and not oozing all over.
CPU is oriented properly in the socket.
There is a fan (any fan) plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard.
The heatsink doesn't press against any of the memory sticks.

If it's really a shorting problem after the back plate has been coated, I'd start looking at the local hardware for nylon replacement screws, or at least wrap an 1/8" strip of electrical tape around their bases to make sure it's not shorting on the hole edges (Mobo's can be 6+ layers thick with conductors). :shrug:

Do the legs the bolts go through on the top of the mobo actually touch the motherboard? or anything else?

Back