• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink for 2600k and Good Case Fans + Fan Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Redish Blue

So I want to start OCing my 2600k so I can start folding and I am trying to figure out what heatsink I want to use. I looked into it and I it seems like the Noctua NH-D14 wont fit on my MOBO with my current RAM :( I have a P8P67 Deluxe and Corsair Vegenance which from doing reseach sits to high to use this heatsink (please correct me if I am wrong about this). So now I am trying to decide on another heatsink and everywhere I look people are suggesting the coolermaster 212+. Any other good heatsinks you guys can suggest?

Next up I want to redo all the fans in my case and get a fan controller. I have an antec 1200 V3 with the stock number of fans (6). I am going to grab a 7th fan for the side panel as well and then replace the stock fans in the case as well. I dont really care about how much sound they create I mainly just want performance. I know nothing about fans so any tips would be great.

And last of all I want a sweet fan controller for the front of the case becuase I dont really want to control 7 fans individually. I would like to have atleast 4 channels on the controller as a minimum requirment but other than that I am open to suggestions.

I am hoping to spend no more than 200 on this so if we could keep it below that it would be awesome. I was thinking 50-70 for the heatsink, 40-70 for the controller, and 100 on the fans becuase there are 6 120mm and a big 200mm up top.

How many sticks of RAM do you have? If the answer is 4 then you're really limited in terms of aftermarket coolers, if you've got 2 sticks then most coolers should fit.

The Prolimatech Megahalems and some of the Thermalright coolers like the Venomous X and True are quite good coolers.

How many sticks of RAM do you have? If the answer is 4 then you're really limited in terms of aftermarket coolers, if you've got 2 sticks then most coolers should fit.

The Prolimatech Megahalems and some of the Thermalright coolers like the Venomous X and True are quite good coolers.

I only have 2 sticks of ram but don't they need to be in the 1 and 3 slot to perform the best? So it shouldn't really matter what slots they are in because as long as they arein the one closest to the CPU the heatsink won't fit. So can I put the ram in the 2 slots furthest from the CPU or will that degrade their performance?

Yeah, your will lose some performance because the ram will be working in single channel mode then. install in the second slot and 4th slot from cpu socket and you should be ok. For a heatsink that will give you clearance for all 4 ram slots and performs better than the 212+, look at the Thermalright MUX120. A bit more expensive than the 212+ but much better performance too, plus no clearance issues.

Yeah, your will lose some performance because the ram will be working in single channel mode then. install in the second slot and 4th slot from cpu socket and you should be ok. For a heatsink that will give you clearance for all 4 ram slots and performs better than the 212+, look at the Thermalright MUX120. A bit more expensive than the 212+ but much better performance too, plus no clearance issues.

I just realized that I already have the RAM in slots 2 and 4 becuase that is what is suggested as the best for my MOBO. THat heatsink you linked looked perfect, but it says it is made for 1156 socket and I have the 1155. Will it still work or do I have to keep looking for something else?

Both 1156 and 1155 use the same mounting pattern for the mobo holes, so anything you see that says it's made for LGA1156 will also fit LGA1155 with no problems.

Both 1156 and 1155 use the same mounting pattern for the mobo holes, so anything you see that says it's made for LGA1156 will also fit LGA1155 with no problems.

I was thinking that as soon as I posted that reply but its nice to know for sure. Anyone have any advice on good fans and a controller?

Fans for what? As case fans, or heatsink fans? The MUX comes with 1 fan included.

For case fans, I personally like the Yate Loon low speed fans, as they are very affordable and are pretty quiet. You can get 4 for $20 at Petra's Tech Shop. Be aware they are sleeve bearing fans and some people have reported reduced lifespan in them when installed horizontally, like top case mounted fans. But I have been having a couple of the LED models mounted in the top of my U2-UFO case for going on 2 years now with no problems and this machine runs 24/7/365.

Dealextreme.com has some good looking fan controllers for a very cheap price if you don't mind waiting a while for shipping.

Ok well I amm in Canada so I don't know if they will ship here. I would prefer to orfer from NCIX because I can just go to their store near my house and avoid shipping chargers :)

Muddocktor I am liking those fans more and more, but I am worried because I don't know that they will move enough air. I would like a quite system but I would rather preformance over silence. If you think they will move enough air having 4 intakes and then 2 as outakes and a 200mm outake than I will grab them.

OK, so NCIX it is then. ;) They are selling some Yate Loon fans also. They have a 5 fan bundle of the D12SL-12 (with sleeved wires) for $40 right here. They are a little different from the Petra's Tech Shop Yates, but I would give them a whirl. And they will give good case ventilation if you have a half decent case.

Wow thats actually perfect becuase I only need 5 1200mm fans :D I will be grabbing those for sure. Now all I need is a fan controller and I am set.

Thanks a lot Muddocktor that was a sweet find :D

I have that heatsink (MUX-120) on my P8P67 board, and it works fine. On one side, there's a blue metal heatsink of the motherboard, that you have to just gently scoot over (just a 1/16th of an inch or so). I like that heatsink.

On the case I had, I replaced the (ridiculously) slow original case fans, with fans that pulled twice that much air. Since the case sits so close to where I read a lot, I opted for two Gentle Typhoons. Overpriced, but they do a great job. Having worked around delta fans in electronic cabinets for years, I dislike fan noise.

Back