• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello im new and need help oc amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xXJfedXx

Registered
well I am 100% new to overclocking so i was wondering were to begin, what programs to use, tuts to follow, ect...

My computer specs:
MB: Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Graphics: XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

the cpu i want to overclock is a amd Athlon II x3 440. i do plan on getting a 1100T later on this December but for now i want to learn to overclock on this thing. i dont want to do a heavy overclock because i am using a stock fan on my cpu and 3 case fans (2 on each side pushing air from the front to out the end and one on the part of the case i would remove for access to my mb)
I do realize that aftermarket cooling would be a lot better but until i get my 1100T im sticking with this setup.

Edit:well im having issues when i run the stress test on my cpu without overclocking i get to 70C before i stop it within 1 minute anything i could be doing wrong?

Edit2: well im having a lot more issues then that before not sure why but my cpu is getting way to hot i tryed a thermal paste change and it helped a lot but its still getting way to hot. do i have any chance of overclocking this cpu?

before new thermal paste

attachment.php

and after

attachment.php

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. also new to over clocking I'd say the best place to start is reading the amd ultimate sticky threads, I was clue less on ocing but after reading the the intel sticky I was well on my way. good luck bro

hmm i thought i checked out the ultimate thread already but it is apparent i didn't :/ thanks for the help guys.

well im having issues when i run the stress test on my cpu without overclocking i get to 65C before i stop it within 1 minute anything that could be causing it?

well im having issues when i run the stress test on my cpu without overclocking i get to 65C before i stop it within 1 minute anything that could be causing it?

A lot of beginners to overclocking that are now beginning to think to overclock their systems are finding that the temperatures are already too high when a full stress load is put on their stock speed and stock cooling with stress testing.

If that 65c is the temperature of the three "cores" then you have no room to overclock since you are already too hot. Better cpu cooling and or more cool air thru the case are going to have to be attended to first.

A lot of beginners to overclocking that are now beginning to think to overclock their systems are finding that the temperatures are already too high when a full stress load is put on their stock speed and stock cooling with stress testing.

If that 65c is the temperature of the three "cores" then you have no room to overclock since you are already too hot. Better cpu cooling and or more cool air thru the case are going to have to be attended to first.

ya but if i leave it under stress i bet it could get to the 70's I'm going to try replacing the thermal paste and see if that helps. when I'm not doing much on the computer it gets around 40C. whats the best type of cooling? i thought about buying a watercooling system but it tends to be a bit expensive if you want it to be good. is there any other good alternatives to it?

Give us a 'signature' so we can see what you really have inside the case. You may have one of those cheap mobos that will not overclock well anyway and no sense in spending for cooling to overclock if the whole thing is not going to do very good anyway.

Sigs are pretty easy.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

Give us a 'signature' so we can see what you really have inside the case. You may have one of those cheap mobos that will not overclock well anyway and no sense in spending for cooling to overclock if the whole thing is not going to do very good anyway.

Sigs are pretty easy.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

lol i know how to make a sig im not that much of a noob xD

My computer specs:
MB: Gigabyte GA-785GMT-USB3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Graphics: XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2

and my "core" voltage according to cpu-z is around 1.488v isn't that extremely high i think i saw somewere that you must stay away from 1.5?!

Last edited:
To start with, ditch the Ballistix. I doubt you'll have any performance problems running 8GB instead of 10GB and it will adversely impact your ability to overclock using 4 sticks.

Definitely try a heatsink remount. Also remember 'less is more' when it comes to thermal paste. You can check BIOS to see if there are setting that allow CPU fan speed ramping based on CPU temp. Tends to make stock heatsink/fans loud under load, but really helps control temps.

:welcome: to the forums

To start with, ditch the Ballistix. I doubt you'll have any performance problems running 8GB instead of 10GB and it will adversely impact your ability to overclock using 4 sticks.

Definitely try a heatsink remount. Also remember 'less is more' when it comes to thermal paste. You can check BIOS to see if there are setting that allow CPU fan speed ramping based on CPU temp. Tends to make stock heatsink/fans loud under load, but really helps control temps.

:welcome: to the forums

kk thanks ill take the sticks out but would it matter if i went with 4 sticks of the same Ripjaws? and i need to wait 3hrs before i can get the thermal paste to remount it. im going to use artic silver from what i heard is pretty good. and also i already set it so the fan always runs at max in the bios.

Last edited:
Good luck with your OC adventures if you can get your temps down :), 65c on the stress test is a little surprising, i thought i had problems @ 55c 200Mhz on stock clock.

Keep us apprised i'd be interested to see what you can get out of it. :)

well here is a img a couple min after a 2min stress test.

Good luck with your OC adventures if you can get your temps down :), 65c on the stress test is a little surprising, i thought i had problems @ 55c 200Mhz on stock clock.

Keep us apprised i'd be interested to see what you can get out of it. :)

and its 69c :D Well i didn't get to overclock it like i wanted to but at least i found out i have bigger issues.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
well i applyed new thermal paste (arctic silver 5) and now it wont rise above the temp 65C after leaving alone for a lot longer then before were it would reach 70c before i just stopped it for fear of breaking it. maybe i just have a hot cpu?

Attachments

• after new thermal paste.png
    after new thermal paste.png
    195.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Sorry I'm not an AMD guy, but someone should be able to find you an app for monitoring the CPU fan speed. Like I said in my previous post, you might be able to ramp the fan to a higher speed either with BIOS or some sort of software that works with your chipset.

Back to the 4 sticks of RAM, IMhO is it better to run two sticks when possible. The memory controller is part of the CPU. That controller gets stressed a little when running 4 sticks vs two sticks & even more so when you are overclocking the CPU.

Sorry I'm not an AMD guy, but someone should be able to find you an app for monitoring the CPU fan speed. Like I said in my previous post, you might be able to ramp the fan to a higher speed either with BIOS or some sort of software that works with your chipset.

Back to the 4 sticks of RAM, IMhO is it better to run two sticks when possible. The memory controller is part of the CPU. That controller gets stressed a little when running 4 sticks vs two sticks & even more so when you are overclocking the CPU.

kk thanks and in the bios i did max out my cpu fan. it might be getting old... ehh ill just have to delay my overclocking until i get my T1100 and my h100.

Your cpu voltage seems pretty high, try lowering it to 1.4 or 1.35 for stock speeds and then run P95, 1.5 is something you run when you want a high overclock.

ya, i thought it might be high. but i dont know to much about voltage, ill try lowering it.

Your cpu voltage seems pretty high, try lowering it to 1.4 or 1.35 for stock speeds and then run P95, 1.5 is something you run when you want a high overclock.

it made a HUGE difference Ty. after a bit of testing (first image) on 1.35 without oc it seams very stable so i went and oc it to 3.4 and raised the voltage to 1.4 and the results are the 2nd image. i still have to do a 24 hr test but thats for later.

Attachments

• aftervoltagelowering.png
    aftervoltagelowering.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    544.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Back