• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! 3570k fails prime 95 with no overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad_luck guy

Hello everyone,

I am having the worst luck with my latest build. I have been getting constant crashes, errors, lockups, etc. I had gotten a new ASUS GTX 670 DC2 top only to have it be a dud, but that is besides the point. I recently installed my older radeon hd 5770 and some new issues have shown up. They included Exception_access_violations when running several games. At first, I updated my bios, I then tested my ram with Memtest and it passed 100% with no errors. I then decided to stress test my CPU. On the first Prime 95 run, core 2 failed on the second test. I was reading up on this on various sites and have tried raising the CPU voltage slightly higher, to see if my memory was causing the issue. Below is a screenshot of my latest attempt after raising the voltage a bit.

SZBZo.jpg

My current setup is as follows:
CPU: 3570K at 3.4 GHz Turbo boost: 4.6 GHz
Mobo: ASUS Maximus V Gene
Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12p SE2
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (4GB x 4) DDR3 1600 running in XMP mode(8-8-8-24)
Graphics: Radeon HD 5770
PSU: NZXT Hale 90 (750W with +12V 65A rail)

I reinstalled windows/drivers 4 times already. I am out of ideas :bang head
Any help would be appreciated!

Looks like RMA-time for motherboard, RAM or processor. Or PSU. Sorry.

All I can say is, that the motherboard may have a buggy BIOS that sets the Vcore wrong or DRAM clock too high.

Symptoms look like a bad CPU core OC. And usually don't show up until you're near the limit of core OC'ing.

My E2180 does crap like that at 2.928. :(

Idle temps are fine, in my book.

What would changing the vcore have to do with your memory?

What test in P95 are you running? BLend? Small FFT? If not small fft, run that (blend tests memory too)

You are not at stock settings as you are running the memory in XMP mode. Try ALL stock and see what happens.

Have you tried updating your bios?

What would changing the vcore have to do with your memory?

What test in P95 are you running? BLend? Small FFT? If not small fft, run that (blend tests memory too)

You are not at stock settings as you are running the memory in XMP mode. Try ALL stock and see what happens.

Have you tried updating your bios?

I have updated my BIOS to the latest revision. I was running the blend test. I will reset the settings to default and give it another shot. I read on another forum, that having all the memory slots occupied with OC'd ram may cause an issue and that raising the voltage might correct it. An example of the errors I am seeing when running completely different games by different companies, using a freshly installed windows 7 with no updates added:
92JDc.png

That is a TON of core voltage for a stock 3570k.
Something more like 1.00 to 1.1v would be much more appropriate.

I would pull out all but one stick of ram and test with the defaults you get from loading optimized defaults.
If it errors, swap to a different single stick.
If it still errors, the motherboard or CPU has had it.

I am a total OC noob. I just use AUTO and let the bios OC my cpu and ram for me. It had set it to 1.33 and I raised it to 1.35 in the bios upon reading the other forum. I might have mistaken which voltage to modify, but @ 1.33 it still crashed and gave me errors. I guess my system can't handle the auto oc that was set. Resetting to stock settings is working. I will continue to test via prime 95 and test other games to see if the errors show up. Thanks for the help everyone. I hope to have some good results the next time I reply. I would like to find a good OC point for my setup.

Thanks for the guide. I'll definitely read through it. I was under the impression that raising the Turbo boost isn't technically an overclock since it activates under specific conditions. When I had set it to auto, my turbo boost went up to 4.6 GHz but the core clock was still 3.4 GHz.

I miss my i7 920. As far as I'm concerned that processor was one of the best. I gave my last build to my family member and went ahead with this new build, but so many headaches. I hope the K version actually serves its purpose.

Last edited:
You have to use CPU-Z to see how high the overclock is because the base clock won't change in IB and SB it's only turbo that works the overclock multiplier in the k CPU's.

Back