• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help a noob please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AG boki v1

i just bought an amd phenom II x4 960 and 8gb of ram ddr3 1600mhz
my question is.
does my cpu support 1600mhz ???

Technically speaking, none of the current AMD CPUs support 1600 ram speed. They are all rated for 1333. In the real world, however, the Thuban core Phenom IIs and the FX bulldozers will run with 1600 ram speed without a problem and the FX bulldozer will do 1866 ram speed without a problem. Those two have a more rugged ICM (Integrated Memory Controller) even though they are still rated at 1333 mhz. Typically, the Deneb core CPUs will not be stable with the ram at 1600 mhz. What's more, there is almost no performance gain when going to 1600 from 1333 mhz. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

Technically speaking, none of the current AMD CPUs support 1600 ram speed. They are all rated for 1333. In the real world, however, the Thuban core Phenom IIs and the FX bulldozers will run with 1600 ram speed without a problem and the FX bulldozer will do 1866 ram speed without a problem. Those two have a more rugged ICM (Integrated Memory Controller) even though they are still rated at 1333 mhz. Typically, the Deneb core CPUs will not be stable with the ram at 1600 mhz. What's more, there is almost no performance gain when going to 1600 from 1333 mhz. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

So i should be ok with them i bought 1600 cause for some reason they were cheaper than 1333

from what i was reading people are useing that same speed of memory with the CPU, I dont no for sure.,, Just what i read.. Might have been a type :)

Some Denebs will do 1600 but most won't. We've seen a lot folks on the forum get really frustrated trying to get the Denebs stable with the ram at 1600 mhz. They seem to have initial success in some cases but in time they begin to experience instability because the Deneb IMC is right on that edge. And since there's no real performance gain to be hand in trying to run the ram at 1600 mhz, why hassle with it? 1600 mhz ram will often run at tighter timings anyway if you down clock it to 1333 mhz and there's where you might see some performance gain.

Back