• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Asus M5A78L-M USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sizeablerainbow

hello i bought an M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard also with a stick of 4GB RAM and AMD FX 6100 6-Cores 3.3 Ghz 14.0MB Total Cache i have installed them into my computer but nothing will show on the monitor i have used the VGA port and also the HDMI port to a HD TV and still no result the PSU i have is a 300 Watt could that be the problem???

Thanks in advance :):):)

I would not first suspect the PSU. Do LED's light up on the board and do the fans spin and does the hard disc seem to spin? Are there signs that the computer is booting into Windows if you could see anything on the display?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

im kindof new at building whats the CMOS??? and yes the LED's on the board come on and the fans move also i havnt listened to the HDD also i put a graphics card in too and still nothing comes on the screen but the monitor works with another machine but that machine is about 6 years old so it might not be compatible but the HD TV should be

CMOS: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/c/cmos.htm

The jumper I speak of is typically located near the little flat round button battery and has three pins. Defualt jumper position is usually pins 1 and 2 and to reset the CMOS you move the jumper over to pins 2-3 for about 30 seconds. Don't move the jumper off the default position until you have powered down and unplugged the PSU from the wall. Don't power the computer up again until you have moved the jumper back to default position, i.e. pins 1 and 2. This does a deep reset of the computer's bios and restores it to default factory positions. That's the first thing I would try.

If that doesn't work, remove the CPU cooler and remove the CPU itself from the motherboard socket. Find a bright light and closely examine the underside of the CPU for bent pins or thermal grease that has spilled over and gotten on the pins so as to create a potential short in the part of the CPU micro circuitry that controls the PCI-3 function. If that doesn't turn up anything . . .

Remove the motherboard from the case along with the hard drive and PSU. Hook everything up on a table top and see if it will light up the monitor. Setting up the basic system outside the case is what we call "bread-boarding" and it eliminates the possibility of a ground out short between the motherboard and the case. While you have it out, examine the position of the brass offset studs that hold the motherboard off of the metal tray below it. Make sure they are all lined up with the motherboard's mounting holes and that none are misplaced or that there are no extra ones or a loose screw that has fallen between the board and the tray- things that could cause a ground-out. This is a very common mistake by beginner builders.

Back