• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Board (B450) powers up with Ryzen 3 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hallen

AMD Ryzen 1200 w/stock HSF

Asus Strix B450-F Gaming

Hyperx Fury 8gb (2x4gb) DDR4 2400 {PC4 19200]

Thermaltake Smart 430w

Powers up. Doesn't boot. Optical mouse lights. Keyboard lights (caps, scroll, number) don't light.

Sugestions welcome.

Unplug all USB and see what happens.

When you say doesnt boot... you dont get through POST or does it? Nothing happens on screen? No monitor signal? Can you elaborate a bit?

Could also be a memory issue, try booting with only one stick in the second slot

Forgot to mention video is AMD ATI Radeon HD 7450 2GB.I tested it on my FX system.

When I remove the video connection from the FX system I get "No connection" on the
screen. When I plug it into the running Asus Strix B450-F system nothing happens.

I removed the USB mouse, only USB device connected. The keyboard uses PS2 connection.
Still doesn't boot.

When I say doesn't boot I mean I don't get into the BIOS or even the logo screen.
Same using just memory slot two.

Do you have or can borrow some different memory to try?

Any chance you have an internal speaker? Looks like this motherboard uses the beep diagnostic codes: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039383

Other than that first step is to try the ram one stick at a time in each slot as Johan said. Don't just test slot two. Unplug literally everything else not needed to post, including SSD/HHD, all SATA, m.2, USB, etc. Double check all the power connectors are plugged in securely, 8-pin CPU, PCI-e etc. If that doesn't work, remove from case and try again as an open bench on a non conductive surface.

First, did you build this system yourself from new components or is it used? If used, can you confirm it was previously working?

Second, remove the CPU and check for bent pins.

Did you try Johann45's suggestion of removing all but one memory stick and trying reach memory stick in each slot? Make sure the memory sticks are seated all the way in their slots.

Have you tested the PSU to confirm it's working properly?

Board seems to be doing what it's supposed

Tried another memory and discovered there were status lights on board. Previously, the yellow(memory) light went and stayed on from the start.
Now I have some activity and end at white(VGA) with an occasional foray to yellow-green(boot).

BOOT.jpg

Looks to be a nice board. I find 3 PCIEX16 slots.

crossfire.jpg

So three cheap radeon boards might keep up with this:

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=8707801

Added a hard drive and a Navidia Gforce 750 TI card and now able to boot.

Tried installing Windows 7 first but install started asking for drivers something
it never did on other chipsets.

Installed and ran Linux Ubuntu. That was easy and I like what I see. But, I could
download BOINC but didn't know how to install it. Also, I tried to change screen
resolution and got "Out of Range" and couldn't get back.

So I'll reinstall tomorrow. I might have to buy Windows 10 to go with my new system.

Windows 7 does not have the native drivers for supporting the chipsets of the Ryzen motherboards.

Added a hard drive and a Navidia Gforce 750 TI card and now able to boot.

Tried installing Windows 7 first but install started asking for drivers something
it never did on other chipsets.

Installed and ran Linux Ubuntu. That was easy and I like what I see. But, I could
download BOINC but didn't know how to install it. Also, I tried to change screen
resolution and got "Out of Range" and couldn't get back.

So I'll reinstall tomorrow. I might have to buy Windows 10 to go with my new system.

If you "want" Win7 it works fine. I made a guide here for creating the media https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781091-AMD-Ryzen-Win7-ISO-Guide. Or there's an easy way I found that some board partners have utilities for making the ISO all you need is your Win7 disc and something to copy the new one to either disc or USB works very well I have tried it. You can also add NVMe drive support at the same time to install to a fast PCIe drive. Here a direct link for the MSI Smart Tool utility. http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/mb/Smart_Tool_1.0.0.38.zip

Board now running Windows 10 (90 day evaluation). Couldn't get past the white(VGA) light at boot after Inux misadventure. Moved videocard from PCIEX16(1) to PCIEX16(2)
and everything went well after. Thanks all. ryzen1.jpg

Back