• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help cooling my i7 7700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tedmann12

Registered
Hi guys,

I recently installed an i7 7700k on a new Asus Prime Z270M-Plus. I have a hyper 212 evo that I have used for the past few years on my old Fx 6300.

I also have 16gigs DDR4 Ram and an R9 280x.

I was recently playing heroes of the storm, on 1440p, max settings etc, which should be easy to do, and it was running very smooth the first day I used this comp.

The game started getting really choppy, and my Core Temp program was showing heat spikes of 90-100C on some of the cores. They would then flash back down to like 60 then jump to 90 all within a second or two. It seemed strange.

Anyway, my question is two fold: Would a cpu getting really hot like that cause a game to start slowing down and getting choppy. And also, is a Hyper 212 evo a good enough cooling device for this cpu? If not, what would be better? I'm not sure I want anything crazy intense, I don't know much about water cooling, but I guess I am open to it?

Here is a picture of my case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258078 This was a comp I bought years ago, have since replaced literally everything but the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

First off congrats on the new build! The CM Hyper 212 evo isn't enough for the 7700K. You're going to need something more robust like a Noctua NH-D15 or possibly a good AIO like the Corsair H115i. In either case you're going to need really good air flow thru that case.

Thanks for the reply!

So from Vids I am watching it looks like the Corsair H115i isn't compatible with my case.

The Noctua NH-D15, seems like it could be ok, but judging by the pictures I feel like it would be a really tight squeeze? If my Hyper 212 Evo fits, should this fit as well?

Are you running stock speed or overclocked? A 212 evo should be plenty for running stock speeds. Make sure your fans are clean and spinning. Do you have an intake fan on the front? See what kind of temps you get without the side on your case.

Well I haven't seen the inside of your case so i cannot say for certain it will be a tight fit. The D-15 is a LARGE beast of a sink and with fans it's larger. Specs can be found here: http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

You'll have to measure the clearance you have inside the case. There are other options if the D-15 is a bit much. Deepcool has some nice cooler that are a bit cheaper in price and a tad on a smaller size:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856028

Phanteks is another great one :https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011

Again it all depends on how much space you have inside the case and how many fans you have to push airflow thru it.

It's a stock speed i7-7700k. 4.2 Ghz.

No, I don't have an intake fan on the front.

Also, the computer was in a cabinet in my computer desk with the little door to it closed. The back is open for airflow. But I am thinking maybe if I keep the front cabinet door open, and take off the side of my case it could make a big difference?

Well try and see. Remember the magic is getting airflow thru the case. Suffocating it will not help your temps.

Attachments

• silent_pc_airflow.jpg
    silent_pc_airflow.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 886
If that's your case looks like a Aio will work fine if you Mount it to the side panel .

If the front door to the cabinet the computer was in was closed there couldn't have been much air flow. Flow doesn't happen through a corridor when one end is closed.

as trents said there isnt any flow if the front is closed theres also no flow if you dont have intake fan(s) all you have is moving hot air around inside your case. Remember this simple rule if you dont have intake you cant really have exhaust. Simply because theres nothing to exhaust, not saying that its not coming out just its not coming out as effectively as it could if there was some intake.

At stock speeds and voltages the CM Hyper 212 should be very adequate and even for a modest overclock of the 7700k. From a clearance to the side panel perspective he Nocutu D15 should fit if the CM H 212 does. They are approximately the same height. You need to install a push fan in the front panel of the case if there is a place for one. You might also replace the rear fan with a stronger one.

Is the cooler mounted correctly and making good contact with the CPU top? Have you tried redoing the TIM?

Another option is to delid the CPU and repalce the crappy gunk under the lid with liquid metal TIM. This will give you 10-20c lower temps with no other changes to your cooling. We know this has been an issue with the Sky Lake and Kaby Lake CPUs. They run much hotter than they need to from the factory because of Intel's poor choices with the factory TIM under the lid.

Last edited:
So I actually didn't use any Thermal Paste. Is this a big no no?

Since I opened the cabinet door, and changed some of my bios settings (I had some setting set to "performance" which increased performance, noise and power consumption, and changed it back to default) my temps have reached about a maximum of 85 Celsius when gaming, and about 35-40ish when idle.

So I actually didn't use any Thermal Paste. Is this a big no no?

Since I opened the cabinet door, and changed some of my bios settings (I had some setting set to "performance" which increased performance, noise and power consumption, and changed it back to default) my temps have reached about a maximum of 85 Celsius when gaming, and about 35-40ish when idle.

Are you serious? You didn't use any thermal paste?

Last edited:
Before you apply the TIM, clean the two surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. Then squeeze a small blob (between the size of a BB and a green pea) of TIM onto the center of the heat sink. Don't try to spread it. Then bolt the cooler back on. The pressure of the cooler mount will cause the TIM to spread between the two flat surfaces like a drop of water between two glass plates. That way you will get an even spread and not contaminate the TIM with skin oil from your finger or anything.

Doesn't the 212 evo have a base that has ridges that need to have tim scraped gently into it?? It's been so long since I've used one.

In theory lol but I recall bettervtemps with mine when I timmed the bottom properly and then did the blob

Perhaps, but we all know that you can used the same spreading method three times with the same cooler and get three different results.

Back