• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED help getting a 955be to 4.5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I could be wrong but wasn't the 965 be the exact same chip but set with a higher factory multiplier? In essence pre overclocked?

945? So in theory it would be much more economical to get the 955 and oc it to match the higher processors? Or are there benifits to getting a 980?

if it's the same cpu, i would think that price would decide it.
if that's true then i'm not so unhappy.

945? So in theory it would be much more economical to get the 955 and oc it to match the higher processors? Or are there benifits to getting a 980?
945 has a locked multiplier.

980 would be better binned CPUs, higher MHz for less TDP. More energy efficient. OC wise, really no difference, maybe worse than lower models because the CPUs that are more leaky (make more heat, need less frequency and/or voltage to fit in 125w TDP) often overclock better.

Otherwise the price difference is just for the difference in stock performance.

Think 2600K vs 2700K.

it's done, 3 minor changes, move it to the garage and it's done.
here is the screenshot.

Attachments

• 955be-4.5-2 hours.jpg
    955be-4.5-2 hours.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 66
yea i gotta figger out whats next.
beepbeep you should e-mail me.

Ok, I have another 955BE, this one I got from our good freind Mandrake.
Mandrake is crawling up my hyde because I just had it stuffed into what for the most part is an HTPC and not making the little thing scream a little.
WELL, says I, I have made one or two of these things scream once or twice so I'll just have a go at this one.
I had one of the guys from the car shop come up and swap the 955 into my Asus M5A97 R2.0 machine and I am off and running.
I did a little research and see that this processor should take a bit more vcore than my 965 I have been running in the rig.
How might I figure that without even looking in the bios or benching it you might ask, if you will read my thread "just putzin around" you will find that answer, I'm not telling.
So to start here is p95, stock and to hop right in to the fire right to 4.0.
we allways run one at stock just so we know we can.

Attachments

• STOCK 3200.JPG
    STOCK 3200.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 4000.JPG
    4000.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
and just for fun a little more for 4.1

Attachments

• 4100.JPG
    4100.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
4.2 now.
this is a much lesser processor that the 955 i used before, it takes a lot more vcore and i had to raise the cpu/nb speed some to free it up a little.
It seems the lower cpu/nb speed was making it just a little unstable.
I am a little suprised the board is keeping up really well, it's a step below the sabertooth that I was using under the other processor.
This board has run my 965 as high as 4.4 so it must be a steller processor.
Well, I guess it's time to press on with it as mandrake wants to see 4.4.

Attachments

• 4200.JPG
    4200.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
so, we drug the thing out into the somewhat cool garage and we got our 4300.
this processor is well below my 965 and not even close to my 955 from way back, but even so 4.3 is really good as we se some that 3.8 is it.
speaking of 3.8 as that is where we work these processors and over 4.0 is just showing off, I have benched these three processors and I will be danged if it dose'nt hold true that the worst overclockers that take the most vcore get the most work done.

well here is the screenshot and now to try 4.4.

Attachments

• 4300.JPG
    4300.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
We are going to call it right there at 4.3, the vcore, cpu/nb voltage and ram voltage are just to high and making it unstale no matter what i do.

This is a very good processor, it's just not steller for overclocking but it is one beast of a cpu at 3.8 and 4.0, thanks mandrake, I guess you should have kept it.

I am very impressed with this m5a97 r2.0 board, it has fed this cpu over 1.75 vcore and not blinked one time and I am able to cool the vrm, I have had to do some things but i was able to keep the temps in check.

also thanks to the people who have schooled me along in this stuff, I was able to push this cpu into places I should never have tried but I was able to do it in a fashion that it has all survived to try it again another day and that is something I could not have done a year or two ago.

Last edited:
Hey CD you saw me hit 4.5 on my 6100 with an M5a97 R1. This weekend I'm going to try for 4.6 and 4.7 because the wife is out of town with the kids, I have doors to paint, and paint to watch dry.

If I pop the mobo, sabertoof here I come.

If it does get cold enough to give you a real shot at some big numbers, just remember you need to increase the cpu_nb speed to let the ram keep up with the cpu. CPU_NB up to 1.35V is okay even according to AMD overclocking stategy. BUT some boards don't repond well to over-volting CPU_NB so up in increments as needed. I say this in case you are going to bench and test for stability. Good luck man.
RGone...ster.

the cpu/nb needs to come up a little with this processor, Ido'nt understand quite why, but it does.
I tried my 4170, 125 watt processor on this board and 4.5 was a disaster.
the 6100 is a 95 watt processor I think so you have a better chance at it.

Back