• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help In Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raj11

Registered
I just got a new desktop for me..
I have an amd FX 4100 Processor which i want to overclock to 4.0 Ghz
Right now using the CPU-Z software it shows an core speed of 1406Mhz only
I have no idea why its happening..
I want help from you guys to get the most out of my Build:-

MotherBoard:-Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 Bios Version:-10/25/2011
Cpu- Amd fx 4100 3.6Ghz
Memory:- corsair vengeance 4gb ddr3 1600Mhz
Power Suply:-Cooler Master GX 450 W
Video Card:- asus hd radeon 6670 1gd ddr5(yet not installed just ordered.)
HDD:-Seagate baracudda 1tb
Burner LG DVD Burner
Sound DEvice:-Realtek HD Audio Manager
USB:- three usb plugged in(KB, Mouse, Webcam)

:welcome: Welcome to the forum.

Here is what we need to see in order to get an idea of your actual settings and temps before we can be of specific help.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

Right now using the CPU-Z software it shows an core speed of 1406Mhz only
I have no idea why its happening..

Sure it is happening because you have not disabled the 'green' stuff. Cool N Quiet, C1E and setting Windows Power Mode to "performance" will make cpu not be so prone to throttle back when it is not doing anything anyway. As soon as the cpu was loaded and needed to work it jumps back into high gear.

You need to check mobo website for updated bios if available since the one you have is barely new enough to have information within it that relates to the FX-series of processor.

Yeah, as RGone said, it's happening because of the green stuff downclocking the CPU at idle. Also, turn off "Turbo" mode in bios because it limits the accelerated processing to only some of the four cores, not all of them. If you turn it off then all four cores will accelerate together. "Turbo" is a bit of a deception in this sense.

In order to attach screenshots of images as RGone suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/unload tool and the rest is obvious.

:welcome: Welcome to the forum.

Here is what we need to see in order to get an idea of your actual settings and temps before we can be of specific help.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

The configuration of my desktop is as same as mentioned earlier...
And yes i do agree That my bios Version is too old...How do i update it..
And regarding the disabling of the green stuff tried it but didnt get too much of how to do it,,:(
The CPU tab is showing some wrong readings like the Core speed and Multiplier... it should be 1400Mhz and it keeps on jumping from 3300 to 1400 aprox. And the multiplier is always x7..

Attachments

• Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.21.png
    Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.21.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.34.png
    Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.34.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.43.png
    Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.43.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.51.png
    Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.11.51.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.22.29.png
    Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.22.29.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.23.17.png
    Snap 2012-06-30 at 09.23.17.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
To update bios is called "flashing" the bios. If you will look in your owner's manual it will tell you how to go about flashing the bios. The owner's manual may not be a hard copy booklet but a digital copy on the install disc that came with your motherboard or it can also be found on the Gigabyte website. There may also be instructions in other places on the Gigabyte website that talk specifically about flashing the bios. There may even be a tool in the bios itself for doing this kind of update. You probably need to start wit going to the Gigabyte website and downloading the latest bios file and saving it to a thumb drive. If there is a tool in bios for flashing then it would be a matter of activating the tool and telling it where to find the new file you have downloaded.

Most of the green stuff is in bios but it may be scattered around in different sections so you need to poke around. To repeat, go into bios and disable the following features:

Cool N Quiet, C1E and Turbo (may be called Turbo Boost or something like that)

Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance.

Please report back and tell us which of these you have disabled and which you could not find, if any. Then maybe we can help you find them.

Raj11, we need you to create a Sig so that you system information travels with every post you make. That really helps us as the thread gets longer and the information you supplied in your first post gets left behind in long trail of posts - and I get the feeling this will be a long thread.

To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and click on Edit Signature. Enter the info you supplied in your first post but also add information about the make and model of your case.

Raj11, we need you to create a Sig so that you system information travels with every post you make. That really helps us as the thread gets longer and the information you supplied in your first post gets left behind in long trail of posts - and I get the feeling this will be a long thread.

To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and click on Edit Signature. Enter the info you supplied in your first post but also add information about the make and model of your case.

Hey I have Created a signature.. just have a look if it is correct..
I will surely try the green stuff and i had already disabled the turbo function i will shortly upload a pic showing the details of my bios...
Thanks for your replies..

Sig looks good. Thanks.

Here is the complete Details of my bios...
And I turned the power setting from balance to high performance..
And now the core speed is 3716Mhz at a multiplier of 18.5 and a core voltage of 1.37-1.4V

Attachments

• DSC02333.JPG
    DSC02333.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 267
  • DSC02332.JPG
    DSC02332.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I think you may have disabled Turbo but just in case, disable all these I've circled.

Attachments

• Turbo.JPG
    Turbo.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 247
Which revision of the board do you have, 1.x or 3.1? Look on he motherboard itself. Often, it is between the PCI/PCI-3 slots in white print.

Or, run CPU-z and attach a pic of the Motherboard tab. It should tell us that info. I'm trying to download you online manual but I need to know what version of the board you have. We still need to turn off Cool N Quiet and C1E and C6.

Which revision of the board do you have, 1.x or 3.1? Look on he motherboard itself. Often, it is between the PCI/PCI-3 slots in white print.

Or, run CPU-z and attach a pic of the Motherboard tab. It should tell us that info. I'm trying to download you online manual but I need to know what version of the board you have. We still need to turn off Cool N Quiet and C1E and C6.

The version is a 3.1.. I hope you got all the information you were looking out for my bios update...
If any info you need from my side do tell me...

I'm downloading the manual now. The transfer rate is really slow and it's taking forever.

So what do you want now? You have green turned off for a steady cpu mhz. Your TMPIN2 shows 62c and max should be around 70c. There is some small amount of extra Mhz might be reached and temps be right up against what is considered max. Up the CPU Clock Ratio to 19 or 19.5 and test P95 (blend mode) again with HWMonitor open on desktop logging min/max temps volts and then capture HWMonitor and attach to the forum.

Here's Cool N Quiet and C1E. Disable them if they aren't already. They may not be visible because configuring the Power Options in Windows to High Performance may already take those out.

Attachments

• Advanced.JPG
    Advanced.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 262
Now, we should have the green stuff disabled. Where were we?

Now, download and install these three free programs: HWMonitor, CPU-z and Prime95. These are standard tools the overclocking community uses to monitor temps and voltages, to report system info and to stress test for stability of the overclock settings.

Get back to us when this has been done.

Now, we should have the green stuff disabled. Where were we?

Now, download and install these three free programs: HWMonitor, CPU-z and Prime95. These are standard tools the overclocking community uses to monitor temps and voltages, to report system info and to stress test for stability of the overclock settings.

Get back to us when this has been done.

I guess we have already turned off the green stuff completely and we can proceed to overclock it to 4 Mhz stable..
And i have already attached the images of all the programs you demanded in the forum... along with the test of prime 95 running for 20 min...

So what do you want now? You have green turned off for a steady cpu mhz. Your TMPIN2 shows 62c and max should be around 70c. There is some small amount of extra Mhz might be reached and temps be right up against what is considered max. Up the CPU Clock Ratio to 19 or 19.5 and test P95 (blend mode) again with HWMonitor open on desktop logging min/max temps volts and then capture HWMonitor and attach to the forum.

Firstly thanks for your support.. I highly appreciate it.. And I would like you to know that the readings that you are saying regarding (62C) are the readings I took when prime 95 was running(As you said to do so), so they aren't the real readings of my system..
I am attaching two images which will show the real running conditons of my pc right now...
And help me overclock my pc to 4.0 GHZ (stable)..I am a little bit confused regarding the voltages and Bus speed(Should i alter it, if yes then by how much)...

Attachments

• Snap 2012-07-02 at 10.27.26.png
    Snap 2012-07-02 at 10.27.26.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Snap 2012-07-02 at 10.27.53.png
    Snap 2012-07-02 at 10.27.53.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 236
Before we proceed with the overclock of the CPU, let's see if we can get more out of the memory.

Please go into bios and manually change the memory speed to 1600 mhz.

Set the memory voltage manually to 1.65 (Take DDR3 voltage control off of Auto).

Take Memory Clock off of Auto and set to x8.00.

Press Enter to go into manual "DRAM Configuration" and set the tRC timing to 41 and the Command Rate (CR) to 2T.

Please post back with pics of CPU-z tabs: Memory and SPD. I want to check the frequency and timing changes.

I'll look at this again tomorrow morning. It's 10:15 PM here and I need to get to bed.

After we make sure the memory timings and frequency are correct we will run another 20 minute Prime95 blend test to see if the memory is stable at these settings. 1600 mhz is the "XMP" mode (EXtreme Memory Profile) and is kind of the manufacturer approved overclocked capability of the ram.

Oh! Raj11, please put info about the make and model of your CPU cooler in your Sig. Even if it's the stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU we need to know that. Keeping core temps low is critical to good overclocking. It looks like from the first Prime95 test you did your core temps were already running on the warm side at 51c. You only have a little room to overclock without better cooling.

Good night!

Back