• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help In Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, with all AMD CPUs since the Athlon 64 X2 series, there is only one core temp sensor anyway. HWMonitor just repeats it x number of times depending on how many cores the CPU has since he software is set up that way. The temp appears to vary a little from core to core, as it were, because of the time interval between polings of the one sensor.

OHM...

Forums are a strange arena for sure. I moved to OHM about the first of 2012 and suggested it as a good alternative to HWM since it had a few extra tricks that the freeware HWM did not seem to have. Noone seemed to want to go to OHM, so I let it be; tricks or no tricks. Hehehe.

I don't care about multiple core readings on AMD cpu since there is only a single core reading output for monitoring anyway, so seeing OHM show the core temp of AMD cpu as Core Temp 0, 1, 2 & 3 and give a single temp is to be expected and even relished since so doing is really more realistic. No reason to show virtually the same AMD core temp more than one time since that temp comes from only one sensor anyway.

OHM is slick enough though that IF the cpu has actually got more than one core temp output as on an Intel cpu, then OHM shows more than one line of core temps since they do come from different sensors.

If you are just in need of the three columns showing current Value and a Min and a Max listing of items, then OHM will do that for you also.

Attached Pics below for clarity. RGone...ster.

Attachments

• P55.jpg
    P55.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 87
  • rP55.jpg
    rP55.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 71
I am so glad to see you use o.h.m., i use it to but for screenshots i use hwm because it is the standard.

Well, the two monitoring programs seem to agree closely about temps. That new cooler is really doing the job, huh! Looks like you have some room to overclock some more. The fram rate lag might be more due to GPU limitations than CPU limitations. Did you know you can overclock the GPU as well? You can do it with a program like MSI Aftburner.

Hey I want to Over clock it to some extent to play the games like Fifa 12 at full graphics and games like GTA 4 at ok like not bad graphics..
Should i overclock it and by how much and how to do so..
I think of using sapphire trixx fot it as it is recommended by everybody for this graphics card..

It's just like you do with overclocking the CPU except less things to have to worry about. You start with incremental increases in the frequency of the CPU. Increase it maybe 25 mhz at a time to begin with (yes, that much!). After each increase, do some 3D stress testing for about 10-15 minutes to see if you get lockup or artifacts (funny lines). If not, bump the frequency up another 25 mhz and retest. Do this until you get lockup or artifacts. Then you have the choice of adding some GPU voltage or just decreasing the frequency a bit to make it stable again. Watch temps if you add voltage. Just like you do with a CPU. I would say don't allow temps to exceed 70c. After you settle on a GPU overclock, then you can turn to the video card's ram and overclock it the same way except you have no way of monitoring the ram temp so go easy on the extra voltage. When all is said and done you would of course need to play a long session of your favorite game to see if further adjustments are necessary.

Hey guys I had a new issue regarding the overclock of my CPU..
It freezes automatically and the computer stops responding..
I have OC it to 4.0 Ghz everything is under control, the temp are not to high,,
The max I have recoerded during a stress test is 39C...
Then why is this happening...
The last time I ran a stess test it also got Freezed in the middle while everything was good and no workers failed..

Attachments

• Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.16.49.png
    Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.16.49.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.17.08.png
    Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.17.08.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.17.25.png
    Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.17.25.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.18.31.png
    Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.18.31.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.18.46.png
    Snap 2012-08-04 at 10.18.46.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Okay, show us the three CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. What's the memory voltage set to?

Looks like the ram is running at DDR 1606 at 9, 9, 9, 24, 41. I get that from the CPUz tab pics above. He might have added them.

I have already added the three tabs in the above pic...

You write >> The last time I ran a stess test it also got Freezed in the middle while everything was good and no workers failed.. = Probably not enough voltage to the cpu. I would also make sure that your ram which is rated at DDR1600 and is running at DDR1606 has the ram voltage set to 1.65 volts which is the voltage the ram is rated for IF the ram is run at ~DDR1600. At DDR1600 the Ram spec is Command Rate 2T and you should check and make sure it is set at 2T. Other than those things for 'freeezing'' I do not see anything else that is just jumping out and saying I need to be adjusted.

You write >> The last time I ran a stess test it also got Freezed in the middle while everything was good and no workers failed.. = Probably not enough voltage to the cpu. I would also make sure that your ram which is rated at DDR1600 and is running at DDR1606 has the ram voltage set to 1.65 volts which is the voltage the ram is rated for IF the ram is run at ~DDR1600. At DDR1600 the Ram spec is Command Rate 2T and you should check and make sure it is set at 2T. Other than those things for 'freeezing'' I do not see anything else that is just jumping out and saying I need to be adjusted.

The RAM is all good... The set voltage is 1.65V... And the timings and the command rate are also good... But I fear that the voltage of my cpu is Not stable... The voltage I am giving to CPU is only by increasing the Vcore and that too I am not able to decide what should I give the exact voltage as...I read somewhere if the pc freezes after an OC then it has do something with Voltage as you said earlier, but they also mentioned that you need to increase the
Nb and the Sb voltage, so far I haven't done anything with that.. Can you please say something on this....

The RAM is all good... The set voltage is 1.65V... And the timings and the command rate are also good... But I fear that the voltage of my cpu is Not stable... The voltage I am giving to CPU is only by increasing the Vcore and that too I am not able to decide what should I give the exact voltage as...I read somewhere if the pc freezes after an OC then it has do something with Voltage as you said earlier, but they also mentioned that you need to increase the
Nb and the Sb voltage, so far I haven't done anything with that.. Can you please say something on this....

I dont think you need to mess with SB voltage but its a good idea to increase NB voltage by a tick. Increasing NB voltage after OCing help to stabilize your OC.

Edit: You might want to increase your NB frequency as well a bit. I think x12 multi to get it to 2400 would be ideal.

Last edited:
I dont think you need to mess with SB voltage but its a good idea to increase NB voltage by a tick. Increasing NB voltage after OCing help to stabilize your OC.

Edit: You might want to increase your NB frequency as well a bit. I think x12 multi to get it to 2400 would be ideal.

Sorry to say but there are two NB voltage, One Is the CPU NB and other is the only Nb so which should I increase the Cpu Nb right??
I tried increasing the frequency of NB along with one increment in the CPU Nb voltage but then the computer was failing to boot...
I tried adjusting many times but the computer wasn't responding so had to clear Cmos many times and start again...
Now my PC is running at 1600Mhz Ram and 3.7Ghz Cpu frequency at 1.4375 volt...

Last edited:
Sorry to say but there are two NB voltage, One Is the CPU NB and other is the only Nb so which should I increase the Cpu Nb right??
I tried increasing the frequency of NB along with one increment in the CPU Nb voltage but then the computer was failing to boot...
I tried adjusting many times but the computer wasn't responding so had to clear Cmos many times and start again...
Now my PC is running at 1600Mhz Ram and 3.7Ghz Cpu frequency at 1.4375 volt...

I just checked your User manual.
One is NorthBridge Volt control and other one is CPU NB VID control. You want to increase NorthBridge Volt Control which is just after DDR3 voltage control and before South Bridge Volt Control.

See the screenshot below from your User Manual. Check User Manual page 36-40.

On a side note: Your CPU voltage seems high, do you need that much?? have you tried lower voltage???

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 28
@Raj11, here is a link with big pictures and good information. You need to read it until you pretty much understand what AMD is saying in their 'own' guide to overclocking their FX series processors.

They give lists of Max voltages for some items that are higher than most seem to recommend today, but I doubt AMD would really give a suggestion for a voltage that was just too high.

They give pretty clear descriptions of many of the terms that need to be manipulated in the bios to overclock an FX-series processor. The AMD FX Performance Tuning Guide in .pdf format is a good tool for understanding so you can get somewhere and use that computer. You have got to get this stuff in your own head. You have to have the terminology and such at your command. Many of us already have it. You need it at your fingertips.

AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf I used this myself to learn about the FX processors since there are clues to many previously un-noticed tweaks.

Bumping up the CPUNB also can help with stability, especially if you are overclocking the CPUNB as you suggested, drosera01, as the CPUNB is part of the integrated memory controller. The other NB which you highlight is the chipset NB and is the PCI-e controller I think. Before ICM ame along, the memory controller function was in the NB motherboard chip but no more.

Back