• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help In Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So if you want to try a very safe little overclock, just begin to increase your CPU multiplier (CPU Clock Ratio. Take it off Auto) by .5x increments. After each increase, run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. If you pass, bump it up another .5x. If you fail (blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup, or one of the Prime95 "core workers" stops working) go into bios and bump the CPU voltage (CPU Voltage Control. Take it off Auto) up one small increment. Stock is 1.4125 in bios so try 1.425. Retest with Prime95. Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop as you are running Prime95. If at anytime the core temps exceed 60c, stop the test. You goal is to get to 4.0 ghz. Maybe you can do it with this method without getting core temps very high which is really the number one key for safe overclocking.

Hey did as you said me to do so...
I have oveclocked my cpu to 3.82ghz..
and after running the prime 95 test i got the following readings on hw monitor..
now my multiplier is 19
and the cpu voltage is 1.4375V
please check if the test are successful or not...
The first is when I ran for 3.7 ghz and the seecond for 3.82 ghz...
Do I have to worry about the tmpin temp(s)...

Attachments

• Snap 2012-07-06 at 09.10.50.png
    Snap 2012-07-06 at 09.10.50.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Snap 2012-07-06 at 09.59.13.png
    Snap 2012-07-06 at 09.59.13.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 49
Hey did as you said me to do so...
I have oveclocked my cpu to 3.82ghz..
and after running the prime 95 test i got the following readings on hw monitor..
now my multiplier is 19
and the cpu voltage is 1.4375V
please check if the test are successful or not...
The first is when I ran for 3.7 ghz and the seecond for 3.82 ghz...
Do I have to worry about the tmpin temp(s)...

Your TMPINs matters. they are socket and/or Norhtbridge temps. 88 degree is way too high to run.
BTW: what kind of fan you using?? its showing 67K RPM?? seems HWMonitor is not giving you currect reading. that might be the case for temps as well. have you tried to use core temp and speedfan?? I know speedfan is also not that reliable but i suggest give it a try what it comes up with....

You MB doesnt have heatsink on MOSFETs so be careful to push it way too much.

If HwMonitor is giving you correct readings on core temps, you are right on the boarderline.

राज भैया, आपका MOSFET और VRM मे कोई Heatsink नहीं हे... ८८ डिग्री बहुत ज्यादा हे..

Last edited:
The max core temps at 50c have a little room yet. 55-60 is about the limit. I'm guessing TMPIN2 is the CPU socket temp at 60c. That's okay too. I think you have about 5c of room left in both your core temps and socket temps. The other TMPIN_ temps do concern me as they are maxing out in the 80s as drosera01 pointed out. They are temp sensors in other parts of the motherboard. It might help considerably if you had better case ventilation, i.e., more fans. I would not add any more voltage to the CPU but it may go higher speed wise on what voltage you are using. Have you tried a higher multiplier on the CPU voltage you are currently using?

A more expensive motherboard would have heatsinks on more components like the mosfets and the VRMs and would run cooler.

These is the latest pic of the test I took...
I kept the processor at 3.82 Ghz and reduced the volatge to 1.4235V
It is working smoothly..And all the test are positive till now...
And regarding the fan, I dont know what it is showing because I have only one fan attached to the MB that too the One with the CPU,an dthe two other fans directly to the PSu...So first of all it should not show it at all...
I have ordered an Extra CM xtraflow Fan Lets see How much degrees it Brings down...
And the TIMPIN temp in the earlier pics were Wrong these are the exact ones...

Attachments

• Snap 2012-07-06 at 16.41.33.png
    Snap 2012-07-06 at 16.41.33.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 46
Curious indeed! Don't know then why HWMonitor is showing two fans but obviously the max reading on that one can't be right. But those motherboard temps really came down when you lowered the voltage. Much better.

raj, do you have access to a digital camera? If so I wonder if you could take the side panel off of your case, take a picture of the interior of your case and then attach it with a post? Sometimes sloppy cable and wire arrangement contributes to high board temps by obstructing air flow across components.

Well, keep pushing the CPU ratio multiplier a little to see how far it will go on the current voltage. In the end you will want to run a longer Prime95 stress test (at least 2 hr.) to confirm stability of your overclock settings. Increasing the CPU speed has much less effect on temps than does increasing the voltage. so don't be timid about that. As I have said before, the high ambient temps of your climate in India puts you at a disadvantage. Where I live the temps are very moderate and even without the AC running, many days the room temp doesn't exceed 22-23c, even in the summer.

It would be good also if you would attach some new pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Curious indeed! Don't know then why HWMonitor is showing two fans but obviously the max reading on that one can't be right. But those motherboard temps really came down when you lowered the voltage. Much better.

raj, do you have access to a digital camera? If so I wonder if you could take the side panel off of your case, take a picture of the interior of your case and then attach it with a post? Sometimes sloppy cable and wire arrangement contributes to high board temps by obstructing air flow across components.

Well, keep pushing the CPU ratio multiplier a little to see how far it will go on the current voltage. In the end you will want to run a longer Prime95 stress test (at least 2 hr.) to confirm stability of your overclock settings. Increasing the CPU speed has much less effect on temps than does increasing the voltage. so don't be timid about that. As I have said before, the high ambient temps of your climate in India puts you at a disadvantage. Where I live the temps are very moderate and even without the AC running, many days the room temp doesn't exceed 22-23c, even in the summer.

It would be good also if you would attach some new pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD.

Actually I did the cable management today itself, but I will attach the pics of the case as you said so..
And I am goona take a halt in OC till the new graphic card and the fan arrives and I fit it into the case....
So there will be more airflow in the cabin...
I will upload it tommorow in the morning, its late over here...GN

Actually I did the cable management today itself, but I will attach the pics of the case as you said so..
And I am goona take a halt in OC till the new graphic card and the fan arrives and I fit it into the case....
So there will be more airflow in the cabin...
I will upload it tommorow in the morning, its late over here...GN

Raj,
IF you want to OC your system, you really need a better CPU heatsink, Hyper 212 plus/evo are very decent and cheap as well. Adding extra fans will help but not much to keep OCed CPUs cool.
I think, i saw those heatsinks on the website you mentioned. (flipcart.com)
and as trents mentioned cpu-z system information will be helpful. I suggest keep RAM timing and speed unchanged for the time-being. Once you get stable max CPU OC (may be some tweaking on NB as well) on minimum volts required...... You can start working on RAMs later.

Your goal is to get max stable CPU clock speed in minimum volts.

All the pics you demanded are as follows:-
And the whole system pic I have added so you can get an idea of the kind of air flow for the PC...
I have two more fan options on the side for air intake...I is already occupied and the other one is vacant...

Attachments

• DSC02343 (Copy).JPG
    DSC02343 (Copy).JPG
    388 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02345 (Copy).JPG
    DSC02345 (Copy).JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02346 (Copy).JPG
    DSC02346 (Copy).JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Snap 2012-07-07 at 11.33.18.png
    Snap 2012-07-07 at 11.33.18.png
    43 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02350 (Copy).JPG
    DSC02350 (Copy).JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC02347 (Copy).JPG
    DSC02347 (Copy).JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Snap 2012-07-07 at 11.33.39.png
    Snap 2012-07-07 at 11.33.39.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Snap 2012-07-07 at 11.33.58.png
    Snap 2012-07-07 at 11.33.58.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 42
you definitely want to add one front intake fan (insides the grills on your last pic) and one rear exhaust fan. and again if you want to get most clocfk out of it, aftermarket CPU cooler is needed. Your core voltage is also a little high for that speed on that CPU, have you tried dropping it a nick???
That will help to drop CPU temp considerably.

you definitely want to add one front intake fan (insides the grills on your last pic) and one rear exhaust fan. and again if you want to get most clocfk out of it, aftermarket CPU cooler is needed. Your core voltage is also a little high for that speed on that CPU, have you tried dropping it a nick???
That will help to drop CPU temp considerably.

Ya I have tried it...the test were good all passed but when I tried playing video in VLC player it was lagging..
So I increased the voltage again...
I have few general questions:-
1.Does Increasing the voltage reduces the life of CPU if yes then by how much.
2. I am not really a hard core gamer, I am overclocking the CPU just to learn something new, and I love it...Should i continue to 4 Ghz or not.
3. My basic requirement is that my System should be fast like hell, it should never hang, so what should be my OC..
4. Does OC help in Boosting the performance of system...like speed

Ya I have tried it...the test were good all passed but when I tried playing video in VLC player it was lagging.. It has more to do with you gPU and darn sure nothing to do with your CPU. you CPU without even OC is great for that and some mid range games.
So I increased the voltage again... Increasing voltage of CPU does not help to boost the peformance of GPU, dont do it.
I have few general questions:-
1.Does Increasing the voltage reduces the life of CPU if yes then by how much. May be may be not much, i guess no one has definitive answer for this.... But i would take this way...... voltage=heat, too much heat will certainly degrade or cut life of your CPU, so you should try to stay below 55 cores when fully loaded. and heck, unless you burn your CPU, it should last until you want to upgrade it, so no worries.
2. I am not really a hard core gamer, I am overclocking the CPU just to learn something new, and I love it...Should i continue to 4 Ghz or not. Thats how i started as well. 4Ghz is easily achievable on that CPU, just you have to keep temp under control. You might get 4Ghz on stock cooler as well but dont count that stable. but you need two other fans front intake and rear exhaust.
3. My basic requirement is that my System should be fast like hell, it should never hang, so what should be my OC.. its very relative to the task you throwing on your rig. Rendering videos on HD might get benefit from more cores than clock speeds but gaming uses less cores and clcock speed helps.
4. Does OC help in Boosting the performance of system...like speed Yes and Yes thats why we do OC

raj, just wondering why you are using VLC player instead of Windows Media Player? I have not used VLC in Windows but I have used it in Linux and have found it to not be as efficient as Media Player. And are you using it to watch streaming video or to play back DVDs? And what kind of an internet connection do you have? Playing streaming video smoothly is very dependent on sufficient internet bandwidth. Playing streaming video or watching DVD movies is not a very demanding task on the hardware. Any dual core CPU and almost any video card will handle that nicely. It's just a matter of decompressing the data stream and that is not an intensive task.

Playing high detail compute games, however, is a very different story because you are rendering 3D objects on the fly. That can be a very demanding task, both n the GPU and the CPU. Your video card is kind of low mid range I would say so it will struggle with intensive, high detail games. The FX 4100 is not a particularly potent CPU and it might struggle too in games, depending on the game. Some games place less stress on the CPU more than others.

Yes, you definitely need at least a two more case fans: an exhaust in back and an intake in front and you need a better CPU cooler.

Your cable management looks good now.

Increasing CPU voltage shouldn't shorten the life of the CPU by much unless you get it way high like a vcore of 1.55+. Your overclocking goals are very modest and shouldn't put you in danger of that. With reasonable overclocking most of us find that we have upgraded components because of technology changes long before the CPU and motherboard die.

Last edited:
raj, just wondering why you are using VLC player instead of Windows Media Player? I have not used VLC in Windows but I have used it in Linux and have found it to not be as efficient as Media Player. And are you using it to watch streaming video or to play back DVDs? And what kind of an internet connection do you have? Playing streaming video smoothly is very dependent on sufficient internet bandwidth. Playing streaming video or watching DVD movies is not a very demanding task on the hardware. Any dual core CPU and almost any video card will handle that nicely. It's just a matter of decompressing the data stream and that is not an intensive task.

Playing high detail compute games, however, is a very different story because you are rendering 3D objects on the fly. That can be a very demanding task, both n the GPU and the CPU. Your video card is kind of low mid range I would say so it will struggle with intensive, high detail games. The FX 4100 is not a particularly potent CPU and it might struggle too in games, depending on the game. Some games place less stress on the CPU more than others.

Yes, you definitely need at least a two more case fans: an exhaust in back and an intake in front and you need a better CPU cooler.

Your cable management looks good now.

Increasing CPU voltage shouldn't shorten the life of the CPU by much unless you get it way high like a vcore of 1.55+. Your overclocking goals are very modest and shouldn't put you in danger of that. With reasonable overclocking most of us find that we have upgraded components because of technology changes long before the CPU and motherboard die.

I thought Windows Media player is not capable of playing all kind of videos and I rarely stream,, Although I am having OK connection, its a broadband connection of 1 Mbps...I will try WMP..
And I haven't installed the graphic card yet, there is some problem with the delivery service, But I will get the video card as soon as possible and then lower the voltage by one step and check the overall performance of the system...
I will install two fans and the cooler and then will try for OC of 4 GHZ...
Till then will learn something else like Over clocking the GPU etc...

So, you're using the motherboard gpu right now? Is that what you meant?

Have you actually tested the speed of you broadband connection? Is this DSL or cable broadband? With cable broadband, they typically deliver much less than the advertised speed which is a theoretical max under ideal conditions which never occur in the real world. There are all kinds of internet connection speed tests available on the internet. You might look for one in your geographical area.

Last edited:
So, you're using the motherboard gpu right now? I that what you meant?

Have you actually tested the speed of you broadband connection? Is this DSL or cable broadband? With cable broadband, they typically deliver much less than the advertised speed which is a theoretical max under ideal conditions which never occur in the real world. There are all kinds of internet connection speed tests available on the internet. You might look for one in your geographical area.

Its a DSL connection its a good conn atleast when you compare it in
India...
And yes i am using the Onboard Graphics right now...

Attachments

• Snap 2012-07-08 at 09.19.06.png
    Snap 2012-07-08 at 09.19.06.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 33
I thought Windows Media player is not capable of playing all kind of videos and I rarely stream,, Although I am having OK connection, its a broadband connection of 1 Mbps...I will try WMP..
And I haven't installed the graphic card yet, there is some problem with the delivery service, But I will get the video card as soon as possible and then lower the voltage by one step and check the overall performance of the system...
I will install two fans and the cooler and then will try for OC of 4 GHZ...
Till then will learn something else like Over clocking the GPU etc...

Nothing wrong using VLC media player. In fact, its preety good media player. You are right, some of the compressed media files uses different kinds of codecs that WMP can not play unless you install seperate codec packs on your windows.
VLC is very small Media player that has most of the codecs inbuild on it, so it can play preety much any kinds of media files you throw on.

Smoothness in playback of streaming video is a affected by many things. Besides the bandwidth of your internet connection there are things like the amount of traffic at any given time on the website servers that supply the content you are viewing as well as how the buffering is done, particularly with slower connections, and also the size of the viewing window. Having said that, your internet connection speed is not that great and could be the issue in certain situations. I'm not trying to show off or anything but compare your speed to mine (see attachment) and under certain situations I even get lag (especially when watching a big time college football game on ESPN3 because traffic is high).

Attachments

• speedtest.JPG
    speedtest.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Smoothness in playback of streaming video is a affected by many things. Besides the bandwidth of your internet connection there are things like the amount of traffic at any given time on the website servers that supply the content you are viewing as well as how the buffering is done, particularly with slower connections, and also the size of the viewing window. Having said that, your internet connection is speed is not that great and could be the issue in certain situations. I'm not trying to show off or anything but compare your speed to mine (see attachment) and under certain situations I even get lag (especially when watching a big time college football game on ESPN3 because traffic is high).

I would die for that kind of speed...But hard luck...Its India... Hey were are you from, never asked you that, I guess...

My geographic location is the northwest corner of the US. The specifics are below my avatar.

Back