• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help isolating problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
In the past couple weeks, I noticed my computer freezing sometimes. I thought it was just F@H background GPU folding and games interfering with each other, or Windows 10 being retarded and trying to force me to reboot for updates while a full-screen application was running. The screen would freeze, but audio would keep playing to the end of whatever file was currently playing. No keyboard/mouse input would do anything, but sometimes I could still move the cursor for a few seconds before that froze. Now this morning it won't boot at all. Nothing on the screens, not even POST. Everything powers on fine, including GPU (and I even swapped to another GPU to make sure), the lights on the mouse come on, and then a few seconds later it reboots itself. No beep codes or anything. It will repeat this indefinitely until I flip the power supply off. The self-test on the AX1500i spins the fan and the green LED comes on, so AFAICT it is working. Any idea what is going wrong? I'd expect if it were the RAM the board would at least boot to fail at POST. And the whole thing is plugged into a line conditioner, so any failure would be kind of spontaneous :(

Last edited:
My guess would be either motherboard or CPU failure. Nothing to do but start swapping out components. Do you have another machine you can test individual components with?

My guess would be either motherboard or CPU failure. Nothing to do but start swapping out components. Do you have another machine you can test individual components with?

No, and having just bought a new car not exactly in a position to buy spares. Can't take it back to Fry's after a year and a half. All I can do is reseat the CPU, but if that doesn't work, I can't tell what's broken.

No, and having just bought a new car not exactly in a position to buy spares. Can't take it back to Fry's after a year and a half. All I can do is reseat the CPU, but if that doesn't work, I can't tell what's broken.

Pettey,

A quick digital multi-meter check of your 12v & 5V power supply connectors could tell you if your power supply is failing. The lack of beeps or codes won't show for a failing power supply / caps. Just a thought before you begin yanking things out.......

Even though you don't think its a memory issue, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pull all sticks out and test them one at a time in each slot.

Took apart and reassembled to no effect (and tried each RAM module individually). Before it stopped booting, I did apply a microcode update from Intel. It was definitely not the one they rescinded as broken, given the date was in the past couple of weeks. What's the chance they're still publishing killer microcode updates that brick CPUs? Will RMA that first, since everything else on the motherboard appears to be operating. Maybe they'll be out of stock of 5930k and give me a newer model :p Most disappointing part of this is the 600k folding PPD gone ;(

Back