• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me answer some questions about building my first Pc :)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Amen. You spend $120 and find out it's bad right away or 3 weeks later. The you wait for as month after sending the crap AIO back (on your own dime btw, and wait

That is simply wrong and spreading misinformation.

First, you have 30 days of where you can request a full refund with Newegg's Standard return policy, so there is no out of pocket expense or loss.

Second, in many cases, you can get a new component shipped as you ship your defective component when within the warranty period, which in this case is 3 years.

Lastly, 90% of ALL RMAs are due to improper handling, user incompetence or error. Myself, I have never had to do an RMA, but I did have to order some new power/reset switches for my case, which I had in my hand one week later from Taiwan after contacting them via email.

Also, NO computer component is exempt from being possibly defective out of the box. Some do have higher return rates, especially motherboards. I'm sorry you had trouble with your Intel or Corsair AIO CPU cooler

On Newegg's standard return policy, you pay for shipping the defective product back to them. And they do not ship you a new product after they have received the defective one and confirmed it is dead. They do pay for shipping back.

What they did for you for the first switched was a favor, probably because shipping cases is expensive and it cost them less in the long run.

Motherboards? Hard drives (logically, as they are the most vulnerable to damage through physical shock and shipping companies aren't exactly gentle) have the highest DOA rate. There's a rather disproportionately large amount of users complaining about issues right now.

Watercooler or not, I already ordered the stuff :)

I went with the Cooler Master 212 Evo, Bang for the buck! and i won't be overclocking so I'm all good :) In my opinion, then watercooling kits, are not worth getting atm. In a couple of years it might be.

HUGE THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME OUT! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :ty: :thup:
Ordered another PSU, CPU cooler, motherboard and keyboard thx to you guys helping me out with what is best for me! U saved me around 200$ !! :ty: :ty:

Congrats 1stPCBBoy!

A brief sidenote, I knew I saw this somewhere... this quote is from MSI regarding their cooling setup. Now, sure this is marketing speak, but the underlying point is what should be taken away from this.

Because it is optimized to work in low-airflow situations, it is the ideal cooling to use with your liquid cooling setup.
http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-XPOWER.html#overview

Water cooling = (generally) low airflow around the VRM area.

Congrats 1stPCBBoy!

A brief sidenote, I knew I saw this somewhere... this quote is from MSI regarding their cooling setup. Now, sure this is marketing speak, but the underlying point is what should be taken away from this.

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-XPOWER.html#overview

Water cooling = (generally) low airflow around the VRM area.

:rofl: I never thought I'd see the day when ED starts believing in marketing sales pitches. If you're going to buy them from one mfg, you might as well buy them all, including the "thermal armor jacket" sold w/ Sabertooth.

Pp, that is based off of facts though. But truth be told any overkill heatsink around that area the same thing can be said for it. With water cooling/extreme cooling there is generally less airflow around the vrm so in most cases they run warmer.

The marketing I dont buy from Asus is their unspecified military testing (vs MSI that lists the standards and specific tests). The armor and its functionality is a different story as there isn't anything quantifiable about it really. I'm not sure of its purpose, lol. Like does it physically protect the board that is already inside a case anyway? Why is it NEEDED? I hoped you would have seen the difference there...the xpower is made for extreme cooling where there is less air around the vrms and pushing them harder usually happens. A more robust solution around that area seems pretty logical. :)

Last edited:
No doubt Z87 is state of the art, especially in the VRM section. I suppose engineers themselves realize the problem areas in previous designs and improve on them with each new MB release.

I do think a Sabertooth with the armor would look good on this , and perhaps offer some benefit to dust penetration, but as you say "inside a case", it is really pointless, and mine don't have it except for a jacket @ the back I/O

Just a note, my Gryphon came with documentation listing the mil-spec tests that they performed on it. Reviews seem to show they only started doing this with the TUF Z87 boards.

.....I'd also like to see screenshots of your cpu never breaking 33c under stress tests. You must live in a freezer!

I also like to see that too, even at stock, my i7 3770k already run at 52 to 54 C(depend on if i turn the ac on ar off )
If the guy CPU are run at 33c then he must be live in Siberia :D

Back