• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me answer some questions about building my first Pc :)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, that should work fine. You could definitely go smaller and cheaper though, you never told us what hardware you're trying to power with it.

They load up faster. Really what to put on the SSD is your decision, whatever you want to load faster should be there.

After a lot of research, since using 2 Drives, and using SSD is all new to me, this is how my SSD & HDD Setup is gonna be:

Samsung SSD 250gb:
OS - Windows 8
ALL Applications
Games

Western Digital HDD 1TB:
Music/Pictures
Documents
Movies

Seagate 1TB (external backup HDD):
I use this to backup my 1TB HDD Western Digital. So if my HDD crashes, i can back the lost data up. If my SSD crashes, i only installed OS, Apps & Games, witch can all be reinstalled.

I will do 1 partition with all the space on the SSD, and the same for the Western digital HDD. I call it C, and D.

Fear not for having all games and apps on SSD, i only play few games, and the "only" heavy apps i really have is Adobe's applications. If i need space, i found a way to move steam games from the ssd, to the hdd, and still be able to play them without having to uninstall - install.

What do u think, any improvements i should need, plz tell me! :attn:

everything look ok, although i think 1tb is a little small for movie.

I already have the seagate, or what ever its called, that has 1TB for backup, so i kinda have a problem if i buy more space then that for my pc.

But, nvm. I wont be using more then 1TB for storage compared to my current 500gb HDD :D

What is best?

FRONT - 200mm Intake fan
TOP - 200mm Intake fan
REAR - 140mm Exhaust fan

OR

FRONT - 200mm Intake fan
TOP - 200mm Exhaust fan
REAR - 140mm Exhaust fan

Front and bottom and side are intake, back and top are exhaust.

All you gotta do is unscrew the fan and flip it to change the through....

Thx again Knufire! :thup:

As for the 16GB RAM, are you really sure you would need them? I upgraded to 16GB RAM (I use after effects, too) and it gave me a mere performance boost of about 0.5%-1% in Render time. If you have the money and like to spend it, go for it. If you like to keep it on budget, even for AE 8GB is plenty.

I would like to save some money of the ram :D If i buy 2x4 ram now, can i later upgrade to 16gb ram by using the current 2 sticks, as 2 of the 4x4 stick that would be needed to 16gb ram. Or will It be better to buy 1 single 8gb stick, and buy another stick later?

Btw, i will be posting my list later today!

Or will It be better to buy 1 single 8gb stick, and buy another stick later?
That depends on when later is, I'd always go 2x2GB, 2x4Gb, 2x8GB. If you would wait months for the other 8 GB stick, go 2x4GB now, and add 2x4GB later. If you really 16GB though.

That depends on when later is, I'd always go 2x2GB, 2x4Gb, 2x8GB. If you would wait months for the other 8 GB stick, go 2x4GB now, and add 2x4GB later. If you really 16GB though.

Thx for the info! I was just curious about what to do if i wanted more later :)

Here Is my final list of components:

--------------BASIC--------------
CPU----Intel i7 4770 Haswell
MB----ASUS Z87-A
GPU---- Gigabyte GTX 770 2 GB GDDR5
RAM----Kingston HyperX blu DDR3 1600MHz DC – 8 GB
SSD----Samsung 840 Basic SSD 250 GB
HDD----Western Digital WD Black – 1TB
DVD/CD----Samsung SH-224BB Black
PSU----Corsair TX650 650W 80 Plus Bronze
Case----Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
---------------------MORE STUFF-----------------
CPU cooler----NZXT HAVIK 140
OS----Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Extra Top Fan----Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 Red
-----------------MONITOR & KEYBOARD-----------
ASUS 24” VG248QE 3D Ready
Razor DeathStalker

I've done my best to make sure everything will work!
But......To be 100% sure...Will This Fit/Work/Power/Mount together :confused:?

If u see a easy opportunity to save some bucks, then let me know, my budget have become kinda tight.

Looks like a pretty good list, and everything will fit and work together fine although the only thing I would consider changing is the CPU cooler for one of the sealed water cooling variety, such as a Corsair H80 / H100i, or other such brands. They're easy to install, take up far less room, making it easier down the road to switch out or add RAM modules, provide adequate cooling and better airflow around your motherboard, particularly the VRMs. Its also easier to change out a rear or top mounted case fan(s) without needing to clean and reapply thermal paste.

Just my .02

Why a water cooling AIO system if he runs at stock clocks?
See his other thread, I think he went for the hyper evo.

Also something to note, is that using an AIO like that will tend to cause no changes or the the temps to go UP for the power delivery area as there is usually LESS air movement around the socket than compared with an heatsink/fan combination on the CPU (assuming one has proper airFLOW in the case of course and does not have the top fans blowing down).

My CPU never gets above 33c and VRM above 39c under maximum load and stress tests.

To me, more clutter and a huge monstrosity hanging off the motherboard equals less air flow, and when you can visually see every part of your motherboard (except where GPUs are mounted, you tend to have better air flow across the motherboard, which equals better cooling, similar to configurations involving water loops from blocks, which provide lower temps, not higher, and only in this case its an AIO which doesn't require routine flushing.
Also the heat that is dissipated off the radiator from the CPU cooler gets exhausted immediately from a push / pull configuration at the rear of the case, as opposed to having all that heat recirculated inside the case in a vortex.

My CPU never gets above 33c and VRM above 39c under maximum load and stress tests.

To me, more clutter and a huge monstrosity hanging off the motherboard equals less air flow, and when you can visually see every part of your motherboard (except where GPUs are mounted, you tend to have better air flow across the motherboard, which equals better cooling, similar to configurations involving water loops from blocks, which provide lower temps, not higher, and only in this case its an AIO which doesn't require routine flushing.
Also the heat that is dissipated off the radiator from the CPU cooler gets exhausted immediately from a push / pull configuration at the rear of the case, as opposed to having all that heat recirculated inside the case in a vortex.

The major flaw with the AIOs is not performance, it's shoddy build quality. Other than the Swiftech H220, they all pretty much use low quality pumps which have a rather high failure rate. Of course "high" in the PC world is probably around 8-10%, so for the majority, they work fine, but it's still easier to avoid them and stick to air unless you have a very hot running CPU where that extra bit of performance is necessary.

solid temps... Proves nothing though unless you tested with an air cooler too and temps were higher. :)

Can you elaborate on whatyou mean in the second paragraph? Both a cpu heatsink and a rad in a properly configured case will exhaust air out of the case. I have to imagine the heatsink may have a bit more recirculated flow, due to physical location...assuming rad is mounted on top. But the air across the motherboard is usually more with a heatsink due to fans being immediately above the area that actually needs it. This conversation is splitting hairs as the difference isn't that much. But from my experience with an aio and heatsink, I managed to have temps a few c lower with the heatsink setup in my case(s). Did your experience tell you otherwise?

I'd also like to see screenshots of your cpu never breaking 33c under stress tests. You must live in a freezer!

Edit: after thinking more critically, it really depends on the location of the fans/rad/heatsink as to which can be better. What ever provides the most airflow over the vrms will yield the best temps. The closer the fans are to it, the better off they will be. That said an aio can be in a number of locations versus a heatsink has no choice but to be right on top of the cpu amd vrm area. ;)

Last edited:
I don't doubt anything either of you two say, since you both have had the leisure of exposure to several components over several platforms to form an overall conclusion across a wide spectrum.

I can only give my knowledge based on my experiences with my setup over the past year, and so I must be one of the "lucky" ones.

I also have absolutely no regrets over my "low quality pump" CPU cooler. After all, old-timey brick sized air heatsinks have never failed, or perhaps only one in a million. I've always heard how noisy they can be, which would drown the noise from my AC unit blower in the house. Helps to have the "coolest running" motherboard, or so ASUS claims.

Fans are louder or quieter than one another, blanket claims that air cooling is quieter than water cooling or vise versa are just wrong.

The major flaw with the AIOs is not performance, it's shoddy build quality. Other than the Swiftech H220, they all pretty much use low quality pumps which have a rather high failure rate. Of course "high" in the PC world is probably around 8-10%, so for the majority, they work fine, but it's still easier to avoid them and stick to air unless you have a very hot running CPU where that extra bit of performance is necessary.

Amen. You spend $120 and find out it's bad right away or 3 weeks later. The you wait for as month after sending the crap AIO back (on your own dime btw, and wait

Back