• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me choose a motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hatchermagis

Registered
My specs:
Packard bell ipower J8600
600w power supply
MOBO:Name: Vegas
Type: Full ATX motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
nVidia nForce 570SLI Intel Edition.
Ram: 2 GB
processor:[email protected] stock
Graphics card: GTX 260 stock

Hey basically i tried overclocking my cpu and my MOBO wont allow it, it is old and useless pretty much so i have decided to invest in a new MOBO that is futureproof for upgrades.

I am looking to put all my current components on a new MOBO can i just format my hardrive put all the components on the new board and am i good to go? i have never changed a motherboard before.

I am obviously looking for an intel motherboard but what specifications do i need to take into account? i see some new mobo's support ddr3 so im guessing i need one that supports that as well as sli, and core2 and quad core support, for the time being im looking at just changing my mobo and then overclocking my cpu.

so what boards and chipsets do i want to look out for that will offer me optimum upgrades in the future, some of the mobos that caught my are were:

Intel® Desktop Board DP45SG
Intel® Desktop Board DX48BT2

What chipset is better p45 or x48

i also took a look at nvidias latest chipset also but im not sure how good nforce are.

so please offer some advice on what to do, i obviosuly want to spend as little money as possible while getting a good future proof board.

i was also thinking will a new mobo just fit into my current packard bell tower?

thanks Hatcher

You will see limited performance gains in DDR3 over DDR2 when not running an I7 chip. As long as your current board is full ATX as you said any other ATX motherboard should fit (with the exception of extended ATX).

Let's start by asking, what's your budget? "As little money as possible" isn't very helpful.

first of all - you have to double check if your case supports other motherboards ...
if it is - also make sure that the PSU is standard and not weird connectors of ATX ....

as for chipsets - X48 supports Crossfire - meaning you can connect 2 video cards from ATI,
P45 is more cost effective solution ...

as for intel motherboards - they won't allow you OC as well as your motherboard , so
look for other options ...

but once again - make sure that your system - case/psu , can support regular motherboard ...

thanks for your replys,

well my current mobo is full atx, but im not sure if my current mobo a vegas something or other is a special design who knows, if i cant get it to fit i will just buy another case i guess.

i have looked on newegg at loads of mobos. however theres a couple of specs im not too sure on, im looking at a budget tops of 200 pounds.

right what is this southbridge busines ICH9R and ICH10R which is better?
FSB: first off whats best, im seeing 1600, 1333 and 1066 is or im seeing a lot of boards are 1600 and 1333 so i guess thats my best option correct?
right i decided i might as well go for DDR3 why not! again which one should i go for DDR32000? im guessing is my best bet,
last of all, am i better off getting a mobo with a p45 chipset, the intel x48 or the new nforce 790? i was only perhaps thinking the nforce chip might bode well with my gtx 260?

i think i understand the rest but yes just those points above if your able to help cheers.

Back