• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help me OC a friends i7 960

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Modz 4 Higher

You guys have greatly helped me with overclocking my 2600k, we now have a new challenge, i7 960.

So far I have reached a stable 4.0 clock after 10 passes on Intel Burn Test.

Here is the setup and current BIOS settings:

MSI Big Bang X-Power x58
Intel i7 960
Water cooled
MSI 560-Ti Frozr 2
Corsair XMS 8Gb 1333(9-9-9-24)
TT Tru-power 650w PSU

CPU Frequency 4000MHz
CPU Ratio 20
CPU Voltage 1.3
BaseClock 200MHz
C1E support disabled
Intel EIST disabled
Intel C-State disabled
Turbo Boost disabled
Hyper Threading ???
QPI Vdroop low or high???
CPU Vdroop low or high???

Trying to get to 4.5 and that will be perfect.

Last edited:
I don't use your motherboard but I have no luck at all with Hyper Trend enabled unless I lower the clock so when H.T. kicks in the BSOD doesn't happen. From my memory the other two are set to Auto. With you vcore at 1.3 watch your temps because going over that the temps on my 960 go up quickly.

Last edited:
After playing with several settings I was able to get a stable 4.2ghz and that's the max I believe. Ran 10 passes on IntelBurnTest w/ LinPack maximum strength, then 10 on prime95 followed by 20 on LinX just to make sure. I believe after a while I left the multiplier alone and just started tampering with the base clock. Lemme tell you my 2600k is soooo much easier to overclock. I don't mean easier to get a higher clock speed(which it is) I just mean the settings in general. I think max temperature was 70c on IBT.

Back