• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me OC a q9550 on a GA EP45-UD3L w/ 1066 DDRII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The SPD tab shows what settings it should be at for those speeds. Your MEMORY tab shows what its currently running at.

Aha, that's what I was guessing, but I wasn't positive.

So should I change it back to 5,5,5,15 or keep it @ 4,4,4,12?

I want the way that will give me best performance for how I have it set (800 1:1)

I suppose if I changed it back I could decrease those voltages and get a bit less heat, but heat does seem fine.

Incidentally I dropped down the CPU clock last night to 3.4 w/ 400 fsb @ x8+.5. I did not like those temps passing 75 like they had been at 3.8, and I don't want to chance damage...I know my cpu cooler is not the greatest. In doing that I was able to drop the core voltage as well, to 1 or 2 notches below the stock recommendation. With it set like that, and the RAM voltages slightly bumped my loead temps (in real temp) are mind-upper 30's, and mid-upper 50's-low 60's in prime...

The truth is I don't do much gaming, so I don't need the cpu as blazing fast as is possible. I think 3.4 is gonna be plenty fast for me. I would like to get things perfect though, with the votlages, and the RAM set the best it can be for most performance...and of course temps as low as possible.

Last edited:
You should be at 900Mhz (450Mhz FSB) at 1:1..... Like I said, I would just leave it at 5-5-5-15 and w/e the lowest voltage it will take is (probably 1.9v).

I think 3.4-3.6 is best for Q9550s with air unless you don't mind noisy high speed fans to keep them cool. You can't even tell the difference if you don't play games. :D

This weekend I will help my friend finish his new Q9550 rig and hopefully I can get 3.4ghz with <70C full load temperature orthos small fft with 92mm CPU fan set to 1700RPM like mine. :p

Hopefully when my new GTS250 arrive it will run cooler than my old evga 9800gt and then I can set all fan speed to minimum for a silent computer. :clap:

welp I guess I will keep it like this unless someone says I should do otherwise (someone who knows!)

450 @3.6

Ram set to 1:1 @ 900 set to 5,5,5,15

Still managed to keep the vcore a few notches under stock, and I think I have the Ram voltage set @ 1.9.

Temps hovering right around 63-65 with prime small fft running.

I am still curious about dropping that 5,5,5,15 to 4,4,4,12 but I'm not sure if it's worth it nor how much I would have to raise RAM voltages to do it. It was easy w/ my FSB clock set @ 400 but I'm not sure now w/ it @ 450.

bump to 8.5 multi. 3.825 and see temps .. ?

T I had it there for some time, stable. Vcore had to be a bit higher of course. I did not like the temps though...they were pushing (and even breaking) 75 I think, with my hsf on max speed.
Safe perhaps, but I was uncomfortable with it.

I have been reading about this "lapping" thing too. Wondering if I should do that to my HSF, or possibly get a better one altogether.

Yep...I tried it again @ the 3.825

Prime runs w/o errors but temps go past 75...fluctuating up to and around 77 or 78 even.
I am not comfortable with that.

I think 3.6 will do me just fine for now, until if/when I look into some better cooling

Thanks again to everyone who has given me guidance. You guys are really great! =)

Yep...I tried it again @ the 3.825

Prime runs w/o errors but temps go past 75...fluctuating up to and around 77 or 78 even.
I am not comfortable with that.

I think 3.6 will do me just fine for now, until if/when I look into some better cooling

Thanks again to everyone who has given me guidance. You guys are really great! =)

I have pretty much the same setup you have Suftop with the Intel stock cooler and my idles are between 38C - 42C and load 70C - 80C!? It's bugging me because I have amazing cable management as well as good airflow but the stock cooler that comes packaged with this chip is a joke! Only half the size of previous releases! Arg! lol

I've only been able to get 3GHz stable using a vcore of 1.0000v, anything close to this chips stock and my temps start reaching idles of around 50C+! Anyone else notice this.

Lastly, I'm not fimilar with this BIOS can someone post a "detailed" list of things that need to be changed/turned on/off etc? Detailed I mean for this particular mobo, exact names etc. I've been searching the net and haven't found anything that comes close to my rig other than here.

Man my old system (Q6600) was breeze to OC, mind you I had to go water cooled to get it stable @ 4GHz but geez, these new babies are picky. :p

Thanks in advance for any help guys/gals. Cheers.

P.S. I have reseated the chip numerous times as well as using good paste if that helps.

*BUMP* Anyone out there? lol got her up to 3.2GHz with a vcore of 1.024v peaks at 65C, wondering if that's good?

Back