• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me overclock please!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bixit_62

hey all.
umm..have current rig at mo
celeron d 325 running @ 3.42ghz @ stock volts @ 180FSB @37C full load using an SLK-947U with a panaflo 92mm H1A.
the ram im using (which ive got a good idea is the bottleneck in the overclock) is 2 different speed dimms.
the first is a Twinmos 512MB pc2100 Dimm rated at 2.2.2.5 @100Mhz and 2.5.3.3.6 @133mhz. the second dimm is a Vdata PC3200 rated at 3.4.4.8 @ 200mhz.
i've got BOTH sticks running without any extra voltage or anything at 2.5.3.3.6@180mhz. i KNOW that the pc3200 can manage 218mhz @ 2.5.3.3.6, but not too sure about the twinmos.
i've got the opportunity to 'acquire' 2x512mb pc3200 Buffalo tech dimms, which are rated at 3.3.3.6 @200mhz and have done 230mhz at those timings without any extra volts.
now im running a MSI 865PE neo2 PFISR board.
would it be worthwhile actually getting this buffalo tech ram?
im kinda aiming for around the 4ghz mark, the chip has infact booted at 3.8ghz, and im gna try it again in a minute, but i had to take out the twinmos ram and up the voltage too a little but was afraid of taking it too high.
what would be a safe voltage to take the chip to? it is a prescott core so AFAIK it shouldnt really suffer from that SNDS (or something like that) the detirioration should it?
just wanna see what i can squeeze from this machine before i get a hold of a 2.8c. the machine itself is used mainly for word typing, excel, and a helluva lotta we browsing.
what would be my best option?
im running the case without the side panel on too, and thats how ive managed to get it down to 37C at full load.
thanx.

I have the same processor and I haven't been able to get it to be stable without raising the voltage @ 3.0+ GHz.
As far as safe voltage is concerned, it varies. Personally, for a prescott chip I would not go above 1.55v for long term use but that's just me. Some people say 1.65v is borderline safe for 24/7 operation.

Who is saying 1.65v is ok. They will fry stuff at that voltage. I agree that 1.5 to 1.55v is about max safe vcore.

i've got the 'D0' stepping if that makes any difference? on the chip it says 'SL7ND' but yeh, is there no way that i can get this over 4ghz?
also would it be better to run just 1 512mb dimm at 200mhz+ with the chip at 3.8ghz+ or would it be better to stick to 3.4ghz and have both dimms in dual channel?
thanx

Running it dual channel will nearly double the memory bandwidth, so that's really a good thing. You probably should evenually use two sticks of matched RAM. Just to see how high the CPU will go, you could use the one stick.

been playin a litle, managed to get it to settle at 3.6ghz, with just one stick of pc3200 ram, but wouldnt budge any higher, am gna get that buffalo ram anyway,
but i've got a feeling that my motherboard is getting a little warm.
ive got some pretty big heatsinks on the mosfets, a flat low profile copper heatsink on the soutbridge, and still the motherboard itself seems to be getting really warm.
aparently theres some clock generator chip which gets hot, but i cant find anything on this board.
could someone point me in the right direction please. would be very much appreciated!
thank you

The PLL chip or clock generator IC is usually about 5mm X 10mm in size. I don't know exactly where it is on your mobo, but sometimes the layout diagram in the manual identifies it. Maybe you just need more case ventilation? Look in my signature for some solutions to modding a case for better air flow.

well ive got the side panel off the case completely, that does help the temps a little (better than having it closed nonetheless and case temps are a lot lower)at around 35 and ambient is around 30/32 so i dont think thats too bad. but its just that certain areas are really warm.
i dont really play games much, and ive noticed a LOT of heat sorta radiates from the back of the gainward ive got installed. i even stuck a temp probe on there and just randomly while in windows, it climbed to well over 60C.
i've got a riva tnt2 somewhere and a geforce 2 somewhere too, which would be best? the cooler on the geforce is epoxied on, altho it does have mounting holes i think. the riva one is mounted using pegs. but is there anyway that i can sorta channel the heat away from the back of the gfx card?
thanx for the help, found the chip, an 'ICS' wasnt warm at all so just left it.
ta

Back