• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me put together my rig!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekPDX

Registered
Hey everyone! I'm new to all this water cooling stuff, I've read the guides, i think I got a handle on it, but I just want to get the opinion of some pros.

So first off, here's whats in the case right now:
Mobo: Asus F2 A85-M Pro
CPU: AMD A10-6800K
VGA1: Sapphire Dual X R9 270(not x)
VGA2: HIS iPower IceQ X² Boost R9 270(not x)
PSU: Rosewill Hive Modular 650w
RAM: 2x4GB G Skill Ripjaw X 2400Mhz
and a buncha Cougar Vortex fans.

I'm using it as both a Dogecoin mining rig and for work. I think I over-estimated my ability to tolerate the noise from the fans, so I want to water cool the GPUs. I think I'm just going to start with them for now, and add the CPU later.

Here is what I am considering:

EK VGA Supremacy Bridge Edition Universal High Performance VGA Cooling Block x2

EK FC Bridge Dual Parallel 3-Slot CSQ - SLI Connection

Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper Slim Profile Dual 140mm Radiator

XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump

Plus some Enzotech mosfet and VGA RAM heatsinks, primochill blood red tubing, and 3/8" ID fittings all around.

I'm not sure of two things: the radiator and the pump. Do you think the radiator will be sufficient for what I am doing? I also didn't know what to choose for the pump, and picked this one because it fit into the 5.25" bay, I liked the way it looked, and it seemed well reviewed--I just don't know if it will be strong enough.

What are your guy's thoughts? Am I missing something? Do I need to change anything?

Thanks for all your input!

You might be pushing it with that radiator unless you have high speed fans, kinda defeats the purpose of that build. Thicker radiator would be better in my opinion. As for the pump I wouldn't trust it for 24/7 use. If you plan to leave your rig mining when you're away it could be wise to invest in a dual pump configuration.
I haven't wcooled those cards before but judging from their tdp your radiator needs to cope with close to 300W heat load.

You're looking at around 300w of heat load at stock clocks. You are very undersized with a slim 2x120 radiator. It is going to defeat the propose of going to water because you'll need some serious fans to keep the GPu's cool. Go to martins liquid labs and do some research on what you're going to need to dissipate 300w of heat radiator and fannage wise. Also take into account if you're going to overclock them. You're probably going to need to go 4 x 120mm for the rad at a minimum if you want it quiet.

You're looking at around 300w of heat load at stock clocks. You are very undersized with a slim 2x120 radiator. It is going to defeat the propose of going to water because you'll need some serious fans to keep the GPu's cool. Go to martins liquid labs and do some research on what you're going to need to dissipate 300w of heat radiator and fannage wise. Also take into account if you're going to overclock them. You're probably going to need to go 4 x 120mm for the rad at a minimum if you want it quiet.

Well its actually a 2x140 radiator. Do you still think that is undersized? What do you think about the Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper Dual 140mm Radiator?

Waza, what about that pump makes you distrust it? I was also considering this pump with the dual pump option. Would that be enough, or do I need something more robust? Do you have any suggestions?

Derek you know the saying give a man a fish....teach a man to fish. Look through these two websites at the radiator testing and watts dissipated. This will give you a better idea of what you're going to need to cool your setup the way you feel you need. You should also look through fan testing so you have the knowledge to pick the fans that are going to fit your needs. Your R9 270 is a 150w max TDP Gpu I assume while mining they will be running at 100% therefore you'll be looking at 300w to dissipate if they aren't overclocked. When you look at the reviews on the rads look at the fan speeds needed to dissipate the amount of heat you are producing. The higher the fan speed, as you know, the louder it will be. If you're under raddad you're going to need to crank the fans up.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/
http://www.overclock.net/t/1190800/bundymania-user-review-triple-radiator-360-roundup-16-rads-tested

I don't see 60$ pump res combos running reliably with high deltaT and given the fact that I have heard so many of those pumps making weird noises or failing completely I cannot recommend one.
I would go for dual pump or single D5. D5 has proven itself and is very good pump that lasts. I've had mine for 6 years maintenance free and it still runs perfectly.
That aplhacool Res still needs the 2 pumps and tops for them and runs you over a 100$.
For that money you can get a good pump.

I still think you don't have enough radiator, unless you're using some high speed fans. Though, If after doing the research you feel it's enough, it's your rig. An Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 360 will dissipate 204 watts with 3 1400 rpm fans. With Dual R9 270 Gpu's you're looking at 150w if only using them both at 50%. The 280mm radiator is only going remove around 160w all depending on the fans you choose.

Last edited:
An Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 360 will dissipate 204 watts with 1400 3 1400 rpm fans. With Dual R9 270 Gpu's you're looking at 150w if only using them both at 50%. The 280mm radiator is only going remove around 160w all depending on the fans you choose.

At what dT?

Nearly all testing show data with a 10degree C delta, like that is the only acceptable temperature drop. I say, why? Honestly, I'm OK with a >10c delta. Assuming the ambient temp is 72F, that's 22C. If the delta is 10, that means my GPUs are only 32. Heck if the delta is 20, thats only 42C. I am totally OK with that. Right now theyre running around 75-85C so a delta 20 would still be a huge improvement. And not having to listen to the crappy GPU fans! Worth it just for that.

Nearly all testing show data with a 10degree C delta, like that is the only acceptable temperature drop. I say, why? Honestly, I'm OK with a >10c delta. Assuming the ambient temp is 72F, that's 22C. If the delta is 10, that means my GPUs are only 32. Heck if the delta is 20, thats only 42C. I am totally OK with that. Right now theyre running around 75-85C so a delta 20 would still be a huge improvement. And not having to listen to the crappy GPU fans! Worth it just for that.
10c delta means the water is 10c over ambient which doesn't mean the Gpu's will be 10c over ambient. Derek it's your rig and if you feel you did enough research, where it will run like you want it to then do it. I just feel if you want good temps and want it to be quiet you're going to need more radiator, but that's me. I just don't want to see you buy something and find out down the road it doesn't meet your expectations.

Derek that sounds good on paper but if you are trying to build a quiet system as Mandrake has stated by running with not enough rad you will have to run your fans allot higher which can equate to more noise then expected. If you are gonna go ahead as planned I would look at some of the 140 mm Prolimatech Vortex fans. I can't post a link on my phone but they are easy to find at frozen pcu. They are expensive but push allot of air at a reasonable noise level. Might want to consider a push pull but then you are looking at about $100 for 4 fans. Your rig your choice.

Good luck.

Is it possible to stack radiators? I don't have a lot a places to put radiators, but don't mind having the radiators mounted outside on the top of the case. So if i can do one on top of the other, with fans sandwiched between each, then that would be ok with me.

Derek that sounds good on paper but if you are trying to build a quiet system as Mandrake has stated by running with not enough rad you will have to run your fans allot higher which can equate to more noise then expected. If you are gonna go ahead as planned I would look at some of the 140 mm Prolimatech Vortex fans. I can't post a link on my phone but they are easy to find at frozen pcu. They are expensive but push allot of air at a reasonable noise level. Might want to consider a push pull but then you are looking at about $100 for 4 fans. Your rig your choice.

Good luck.

I also found these fans at newegg:

Rosewill Hyperborea 140mm

89.55cfm, up to 1300RPM, and 2.76mmH2O static pressure! That's damn good for a 140mm fan, and they're a good price.

That's a great article, Mandrake, thanks for that. Hey, sorry if I came off as argumentative, that was not my intent and I appreciate all your help with this.

It seems like all of this really might just be getting to cost more than its worth. I guess cooling 2 gpus at once ain't easy.

That's a great article, Mandrake, thanks for that. Hey, sorry if I came off as argumentative, that was not my intent and I appreciate all your help with this.

It seems like all of this really might just be getting to cost more than its worth. I guess cooling 2 gpus at once ain't easy.
No sweat Derek, sometimes it's tough to tell the the emotion behind a sentence when on the net, I didn't take it as argumentative anyway nor do I mean to be that way if my posts seem it. I'm just trying to help you get it the way you want it.

Back