• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me put together my rig!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not totally familiar with Nvidia cards, but the 270s are similar to Radeon 7870s. And I know its not completely practical, but I use it for mining, and its also my work computer, and its also in a small 1 bedroom apartment. In other words it is constantly loud. More than anything at all, I am looking to just lower the volume on this thing.

I thought this was just strictly a mining rig. Didn't know you'd have it in your room or use it for other things than mining. I would look at universal blocks and put some heatsinks on them. It's cheaper that way and not worth grabbing a full waterblock that go for around $120-$130 when your GPU is worth anywhere from $230-$250. Save some money there for the newer case and other parts. I am assuming when you're not using it its mining so its safe to say this is a 24/7 rig?

You can get this to work the way you want. Nice looking new case with everything internal and much quieter than what you have now. I am guessing here it might cost around $500-$600 including the case.

In assuming that this is correct, and it looks logical, how much additional cooling are people losing by having their radiators inside their cases as opposed to outside?

As your inside radiator starts to disperse heat the entire radiator will stabilize at the internal temperature of your case. An outside radiator will stabilize at room temperature and actually disperse almost all the heat from the loop becoming much more effective correct?

From this study the temp of the inside radiator should be just as adversely affected as a stacked radiator by the higher temps inside the case shouldn't it?

In assuming that this is correct, and it looks logical, how much additional cooling are people losing by having their radiators inside their cases as opposed to outside?

As your inside radiator starts to disperse heat the entire radiator will stabilize at the internal temperature of your case. An outside radiator will stabilize at room temperature and actually disperse almost all the heat from the loop becoming much more effective correct?

From this study the temp of the inside radiator should be just as adversely affected as a stacked radiator by the higher temps inside the case shouldn't it?

Not if you're constantly feeding the case with the ambient air. Sure it will rise a bit but not by much, at least I don't think. Externally you'll have to worry about cleaning the radiator much more often as dust impedes performance. Other than corrosion and growth, dust is a common enemy. Plus people like a clean build.

Not if you're constantly feeding the case with the ambient air. Sure it will rise a bit but not by much, at least I don't think. Externally you'll have to worry about cleaning the radiator much more often as dust impedes performance. Other than corrosion and growth, dust is a common enemy. Plus people like a clean build.

First let me say that while my radiator is on top of my unit it is a clean build and I do get compliments on it. The radiator is also designed so that I can easily lift it back for fin cleaning with a shop vac. All air feeding into my radiator came through filters inside my unit so dust isn't an issue on my build., I planned for that as everyone should. I have more pressure feeding into my case than out.

As for the internal radiator it won't matter over the short term but on a 24/7 run time it will. Every time the radiator catches up with those "few degrees" of temperature the radiator becomes a heater. The internal temp will then become slightly hotter and the radiator will adsorb that and the cycle will continue. Sure you can and do throw more radiators at the problem but case cooling efficiency appears to be a problem people look away from. I guess that is the price for an all in one solution. By having the radiator outside the cooling surface area is also increased as I now use my case and internally the radiator case works against the cooling system.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I meant with people liking a clean build I meant having nothing hanging on the outside so its not an eye sore or easier to move the case around. I have no issues with those that have parts on the outside. I was planning for a project like that many years ago. From the sound of your setup, you're getting the same air inside your case being exhausted to your external radiator. Other than being surrounded by the ambient temp, they are still getting the air that is inside your case if you think about it. Nonetheless to each their own and nothing wrong with it at all. As long as youre happy with it is all that matters.

Again I will disagree with your theory that a external radiator will cool cooler than being internal, at least not by a big margin or anything of importance. Its all about the air they're fed. I have my rads internally that get air from the outside and exhaust it inside which is sent quickly out the back from the positive pressure configured in the case.

I thought this was just strictly a mining rig. Didn't know you'd have it in your room or use it for other things than mining. I would look at universal blocks and put some heatsinks on them. It's cheaper that way and not worth grabbing a full waterblock that go for around $120-$130 when your GPU is worth anywhere from $230-$250. Save some money there for the newer case and other parts. I am assuming when you're not using it its mining so its safe to say this is a 24/7 rig?

You can get this to work the way you want. Nice looking new case with everything internal and much quieter than what you have now. I am guessing here it might cost around $500-$600 including the case.

Yeah, Jack, I'm looking at the EK Supremacy Bridge Edition universal water blocks. They seem to get good reviews, and I really like the way they look--especially with the bridge. I would couple that with Enzotech copper heatsinks for the VRAM and mosfets.

But, I think I am going to get the Corsair 540 first and save up for the rest of the cooling system. That way I can go all out.

By the way, Jack, did you see 24 is coming back?? I cant friggin wait!

So I picked up the Corsair 540 last night, and...wow...just...wow...IT IS MASSIVE. It doesn't look huge when its sitting in the showroom at Fry's, but once you get it home and set it up...damn. It takes up like a third of the desk. It looks sweet, but it also looks funny; this giant block just chillin out. It has a presence in the room, you can't help but notice it. The airflow is certainly great, its well built, but honestly...I think its too big. I'm considering returning it and getting the Fractal Arc Midi instead, but I dunno I might keep it. It just looks so funny...I'll post pics in a bit.

Back