• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me to overclock Core 2 Quad Q6600!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theoverclocker9

Registered
Hi dear community,I am new here and I need some help!

I would like to properly overclock my Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 which is on a Foxconn G31MXP motherboard!

I tried to overclock the CPU,by entering the BIOS,then opening Fox Central Control Unit,then opening Fox Intelligent Stepping,and picking the max

value of the

CPU clock which is 332. But probably because I didn't increased the voltage,because I didn't know which value for the voltage would be best for

me,after saving the changes and restarting the PC,the monitor went black with the blinking white underline on the top of the left of the

monitor,and there was some beeping noise from the computer's case!

After a few unsuccesfull tries,I finally managed to open the BIOS and reset the CMOS,and the PC worked well again!

I would please to tell me how to overclock the PC properly and safely,with the optimal voltage,so I don't go in in the previous situation!

I attached a picture with the full system's specs of my PC!

Please help me!

I would be very grateful if someone helps me!

Thanks to all in advance!

Best regards!

p.s I don't have an additional cooling system for the CPU(I can't buy one in the moment,but I really need to overclock it now!),could the

overclocking of it make some harm or no?

specs.png

Last edited:
Can you give us more info about your system hardware? Particularly, what are you cooling the CPU with? OEM cooler or some substantial aftermarket cooler? Is this a custom built PC or mass produced by one of the big companies like Dell, Gateway or HP?

Your computer failed to boot most likely because your memory frequency was too high. When you increase the base clock frequency of the system the memory frequency gets driven higher because it is tied to the base clock frequency. You should start by lowering the initial frequency of the memory to compensate for this. If the memory frequency gets much higher than stock then it will make the system unstable and even unbootable.
Are you running DDR2 800 Ram?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I see from your attached pic you are running DDR 2 800. Then you need to lower it to the DDR2 666 frequency level to create some headroom. Note: Your software is reporting DDR speed, not DDR2 speed so double what frequency is being reported.

Dear trents,thank you for replying to me!

The CPU cooler is the default one that comes with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU ! And it is a custom built PC ! In order to improve the cooling of the PC I have removed one of

the side computer's case covers ! Here's a picture of it :
What about the overclocking of the CPU?Please help me for that! Do I need to change the voltage?

Last edited:
I told you the first step to overclocking the CPU you must lower the memory frequency one level to make headroom for the overclock so that the memory frequency being too high won't cause no boot or instability. Did that not make sense to you?

And with the stock CPU cooler you won't be able to overclock very high. Taking the case covers off may help a little but what you really need is a bigger cooler.

Last edited:
The RAM frequency is on the same frequency highway as is the CPU. If you speed the CPU up the RAM speeds up to. The CPU can handle going significantly faster if you add voltage but the RAM cannot. So you have to slow down the RAM from the beginning to keep it in a stable frequency range as you raise the speed limit of the frequency highway.

Dear trents,thank you so much! :) I would like to ask you one more question! Which exact values for every setting do you mostly reccommend to me?

Please tell me! I am so grateful to you! :)

No one can give you exact values because every CPU, motherboard and system will respond differently.

The key to good overclocking is to do it in small increments, monitoring temps and voltages and checking for system stability after each incremental change. You took way to big a leap in starting at 332 for the master frequency which I think is 200 mhz at stock. Patience is in order.

Before you attempt to overclock you need to check temps under full load to see if you have any temp headroom for overclocking.

Do this:

1. Download and install these three programs: Prime95, HWMonitor (non pro version) and CPU-z. You will be using them during the overclock process.
2. At stock frequencies and voltages, open HWMonitor on the desktop and expand the user interface windows so that you can see from the top all the way down through the core temp section.
3. Leave HWMonitor open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" stress test.
4. Using Windows Snipping Tool, crop and save the HWMonitor interface as a pic after the stress test is completed. With Snipping Tool, frame the pic please so that you don't save the whole desktop.
5. Attach it with a post. Please don't link pictures. Directly attach them with your posts as you did in post #1. We can look at the image you post and see much information about your voltages and temperatures and how much headroom you might have.

Good night. I'm going to bed now.

Dear trents,thank you so much!!! I'll do everything what you have told me! Sweet dreams!

----Edit----

I ran the prime95 blend stress test and in the 6-th minute of the test and the PC shutted down on itself,and now I can't start it!!!

The CPU temps went more than 87 degrees Celsius at 91 degrees at max!

What do you think,is my PC dead now?

Please help me!

Last edited:
I doubt its dead. Reset the cmos and start over. That said, trents was clearly correct here...stock cooler isnt good enough for whatever you set it to.

Have you read the guide???? Read it... twice, lol, and learn those fundamentals. It will give you an understanding of what you are doing. :)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

I see your board is really not cut out for doing this though. Its a 2-3 phase board without heatsinks on it...this can be a problem due to the budget board not having a robust enough power delivery.

Last edited:
Dear EarthDog,thank you for helping me!

The PC doesn't boot at all! The prime95 blend stress test ran for only 6 minutes, trents told me to run the test for 20 minutes ! ...

The CPU cores temperatures went up to 91 degrees Celsius,but they dropped to around 87 degrees Celsius,some to 75! And then suddenly the PC shutted down but the cooler still

worked with a very lower noise than the normal cooler noise, and I shutted it down by pressing the start button,then I tried to turn it on again,but it didn't show any signs of

working!

Please tell me if there is a little chance something didn't frie ? Please!

Ill repeat my post...

1. i doubt its dead.
2. Reset the cmos/bios and it should boot (your manual will show you how).

Did you do that and it still doesnt work?

I don't know how to reset the CMOS ! :( I have tried to start the PC after I have disconnected and recconected the power supply cable for a few times , but it didn't work!

Could you please send me a link of the most proper for me, istructional video where it is explained how to reset the CMOS (it would be great if it is for a Foxconn motherboard!)

Please help me ! Thank you sooo much for helping me!!

As i said earlier, instructions on how to do this will be in the manual. You can find the manual online or in the box.

There is either a button on the back, or jumpers on the board you need to switch and switch back, or remove all power and take out the battery on the board for a few minutes (replace and then try booting).

I toke out the battery and I placed it again after a few minutes,then I plugged in all of the cables,the PC didn't boot ...Then I switched the jumpers and switched them back,the pc didn't boot again!!!

What would you suggest me now? :(

Test with another motherboard if possible. That thing, im surprised it even had overclocking options being g31 based and with such weak power delivery that wasnt heatsinked....

What is it doing? Do you hear any beep codes?

The PC doesn't turn on totally! There is no noise coming from it!

The last noise from the PC I heard was when the prime95 blend stress was running,in the 6-th minute of the test ,the PC accidentally shutted down ,and the power supply coolerwas working with a very low noise,lower than the normal... the monitor turned black,then I shutted the PC down myself with pressing of the power button ,the PC shutted down totally, then I pressed the power button again and again but it wouldn't turn on at all ! Oh,I think I am gonna die...

So... no fans spun or anything? No leds on the board (if it had any) turn on? What power supply are you using? Brand and model please..

You wont die, but its possible your motherboard or something did. :(

The power supply is Switching Power Supply model : KY -400 ATX

And the two LED lights don't work at all....

Do any lights come on or do any fans spin? Do you have any fans in the pc besides the CPU cooling fan? Can you hear or feel the hard drive spinning?

When you took the battery out, how long did you leave it out? Leave it out for about 30 minutes. That should reset the CMOS. But there should be a jumper on the motherboard to do that as well.

You had the side panel off the case. At stock frequencies and voltages the CPU, cooler and motherboard should be able to run Prime95 without harm. 91c is high but should not harm the CPU.

If there is no electrical activity such as fans and lights then the problem could also be a dead power supply (PSU). It is also possible that the motherboard failed. Perhaps a capacitor or a mosfet blew up. This is very old equipment.

There is no any noise of any of the fans nor the HDD!

About the battery,I placed it back after around 5 minutes...

- - - Updated - - -

There is no any noise of any of the fans nor the HDD!

About the battery,I placed it back after around 5 minutes...

And I switch the jumpers for twice!

Back