• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help. My Mobo is beeping at me :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hypercypher

Hey folks,

I have an inquiring question. I have bought a new mobo - Gigabyte M68M-S2P AM2+, and a new Athallon II CPU. I have the mobo, cpu and RAM on and I'm getting 4 long beeps followed by 1 short beep. Does anyone know where I can find what these beeps mean? I have searched the web but could not find anything for my motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Hypercypher

Thanks Trents for your link. But I can't seem to find the beep code that I have. 4 long with 1 short. or 1 short with 4 long. I'll keep searching. I have emailed Gigabytes support line. Now it's a waiting game. But if anyone has any thoughts I would be glad to hear them.

One basic trouble-shooting strategy to try is to remove everything from the system that is non-essential: remove all but one stick of ram and try each stick in turn in each ram slot, remove all disk drives but the hard drive, if you have on-board video then remove the video card, try a different keyboard, etc. You get the picture. The old process of elimination strategy. Beeps indicate something is wrong with the hardware. Sometimes it's something simple like a ram stick or a video card isn't completely seated. Please don't be insulted. I'm not sure what your experience level is. Another good idea is to take the motherboard out and put the system together outside the case on a table top. It could be a ground out problem where the underside of the motherboard is contacting the case as when a standoff is misplaced.

What cpu? What board revision and what bios is it currently on? Your cpu may not be currently supported

No insult taken. I totally understand the process of elimination. I started with the motherboard and cpu only. And I got the same 4 long, 1 short beeps. Then I added ram. Same beeps. All of these components are brand new. I can try taking the board out of the case and see if anything happens there.

Trap05 - I have an Athlon II Multi-Core Processor. The board revision, I think is 2.3. As for the Bios, I don't know because I could not get anything on the screen. Unless there is another way to find out. Is there? Now the CPU says AM3 and my board says AM3 ready. Could it be that I have to do something to the board to get it really ready? :)

Thanks for all of your input.

According to Gigabyte it should work...have you tried clearing cmos or reseating the cpu and then the heatsink?

I actually have not tried clearing the CMOS. I will try that and see. As for the CPU, I was really careful at setting it down and anal about getting the Heatsink right. But I can try those as well if the CMOS doesn't work. Thanks.

I will let you know what comes out of this next step.

Thanks again,

It's Working. YAY!

SWEET!!!! It is working now. I did reset the CMOS but I feel a little Sheepish. I looked at the Mem and saw that it was not seated properly. DUH! Could it have been just that? I say it was the CMOS that did it. :)

You guys have been great help. Thanks again for all your info.

Peace out.
Hypercypher

Back