• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed lowering voltage on 2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdfox

HI,

Specs

Asus p8z68 v pro
2600k @ 4.4ghz 1.310v
A70 push/pull
corsair vengance @ 1600mhz
1TB hitachi x2 raid0
power cool 80+ 650w modular psu
gtx 560 ti o.c
antec 902 v3 case

Ok here it is, im trying to set my bios settings manually to try lower the cpu volts a little as im hitting 71.c under load and i use my pc nearly 24/7 for work and gaming. everything is set to auto apart from RAM which is set at 1600mhz 1.5v load line is set to extreme and cpu volt to 1.310v.
im pretty new to overclocking the sandy bridges and read through a few guides but having no luck lowering the volts and getting stable. at the moment i can run prime95 all modes for a good 15 hours stable pass superPI 32 and intel burn test all run stable. im sure my chip can run at lower voltages and getting the temps down 5.c or more would be great so if anyone has had some experience with this setup id be grateful for some help.

thanks.

Last edited:
every chip reacts different to the volts. if 1.31 is the lowest you can get it stable on all the test you ran and you cant get it lower, then, you may be at the bottom line for that chip. Not much you can do about that, at least its stable.

If the temps worry you a bit (71C) is not horrific under load, and for me personally is acceptable, it may not be for you and thats cool too, but if thats the case then you may look into a better cooler, better fans etc!!

make sure you read the how to OC 25/26/2700k in the forums its a great place to start.

good luck

another question, which test did it hit 71C under load and was that the absolute highest temp, what were your temps on IBT as it will run hotter than Prime......
whats the 24/7 use? are you folding etc? or is the computer just on? if its just on with occasional gaming / surfing you may want to look into using offset mode as the vcore will reduce when not in use ie. at idle vcore could be .986 and 1.31 under load.

Last edited:
every chip reacts different to the volts. if 1.31 is the lowest you can get it stable on all the test you ran and you cant get it lower, then, you may be at the bottom line for that chip. Not much you can do about that, at least its stable.

If the temps worry you a bit (71C) is not horrific under load, and for me personally is acceptable, it may not be for you and thats cool too, but if thats the case then you may look into a better cooler, better fans etc!!

make sure you read the how to OC 25/26/2700k in the forums its a great place to start.

good luck

another question, which test did it hit 71C under load and was that the absolute highest temp, what were your temps on IBT as it will run hotter than Prime......
whats the 24/7 use? are you folding etc? or is the computer just on? if its just on with occasional gaming / surfing you may want to look into using offset mode as the vcore will reduce when not in use ie. at idle vcore could be .986 and 1.31 under load.

How do i use the offset mode i have a stable overclock @4.4ghz 1.310v in bios and temps as you say are fine at 71.c but i would like it to throttle down when not in use so its staying at 1.3-1.320v 24/7 how would i set it in bios to keep the same voltage under load but when idol to lower the volts and multiplier thanks

just to clairfy i said the temps were fine for me personally at max load and was it during IBT cause no gaming will stress it that much and leave you in the 60's or below range for gaiming, you may or could want them lower. Lower the temps the better.

i have the same board and chip your using. On the CPu Voltage tab, instead of selecting manual you would select offset mode. Then bleow that select the - offset. then below that set 0.03, so it should read offset mode , - (negative offset) and the 0.03 as the negative offset voltage.

since the 2600k stock voltage is 1.35 and you want it to run at 1.32 you would subtract 1.32 from 1.35 setting it at a - 0.03 offset. because your going below the stock voltage.

if you wanted it to run at 1.40 then that would be a + (positive) offset
1.40 - 1.35 = +0.05 offset. cause your going above the stock voltage.

along with the forums i used this video this may help
also NOTE in the video he is OC at 4.7 at 4.4 if you wish to leave the C states enabled...thats fine......most disable the c states above 4.5 OC's from what i have seen.

what test did you run to get it to 71c @ load, what cooling are you using and what case do you have it in?

one thing to consider when going negative offset is if you set it too low you also lower the idle vcore and if too low it wont boot, you should not have a problem at 1.31 or 1.32 but i wanted to indicate in case you drop you multiplier and want to go lower on the offset.

I would highly reccomend googling using offset mode to ensure that you have further knowledge before attempting offset mode. but simplisticly, they way i brefily described it is how.

Last edited:
thanks for the info im using a corsair A70 pushpull with 2 CoolMaster Blade Master 120 mm along side a Antec 902 (V3) full cooling 2 intakes 3 exhausts @ full speed

There's no need to run a stress test of any kind for 15 hours. That's unnecessary wear on your part. 4.4@ 1.31 is not unreasonable at all and it sounds about right for an average bin chip. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I assume the load you're reffering to that it hits 71 with is artificial load from something like Prime95. Your real world load would be much lower anyways, in the 60s, for the most intense gaming. I don't think you have anything to worry about and I would just let it be.

Noob are you a John Lennon Fan..... LOL
and JD hes the one i was refering you to, so, should be ok....
hows the offset working out for ya?

not too bad got it -3 offset i think its reaching 1.320v under stress intel burn test and as low as 1.185v idol lowering temps to 21 23 21 25 managed 2 hours of prime95 blend so alls good learning more as i go along..

not too bad got it -3 offset i think its reaching 1.320v under stress intel burn test and as low as 1.185v idol lowering temps to 21 23 21 25 managed 2 hours of prime95 blend so alls good learning more as i go along..

glad to hear that.... I only use offset now, i was nervous at first but to me since i dont always want it at full load is the best option for me, but i didnt start there LOL.... lots of reading and asking questions...

Dam dont know whats gone wrong but now with offset to -0.03 it has a voltage of 1.318v idol speedstep is not working and when i run prime95 and cpu is stressed it lowers voltage to 1.25 and bsod everytime had to revert back to manual volt setting at 1.315 and running stable again.

well ive tried using a -2 -3 -4 -5 +3 +4 +5 offset and none work have to stick with a manual 1.315v for 4.5ghz till i do some more reading up on using offset.

well ive tried using a -2 -3 -4 -5 +3 +4 +5 offset and none work have to stick with a manual 1.315v for 4.5ghz till i do some more reading up on using offset.

Do you still have most of everything at auto?
Did you set your stuff like the video showed you?

Do you also have the alienware power supply or another kind?

yeah everything is on auto apart from ram set at 1600 ram volatge 1.5v load line ultra high ive even tried to turn off ht it just seems with -3 even -2 offset the power when idol is not enough and bsod when idol under load its fine it hits 1.328v prime95 runs fine all tests with temps hitting 74.c on the hottest core rest reach 69-70.c but just crashed when idol as it is @4.5ghz im hitting 73.c max under 5 hours+ of stress idols around 34.c so i thinks alls good was worth the learning experience especially as i intend to go in the custom pc building and alsong as i know i can reach 4-4.5ghz oc its all good will keep on trying with other chips and boards as i have 5 orders just come in for some gaming machines will try using offset on those. ive only had oc experience with asus boards so im going to extend my knowledge and buy a few gigabyte and ASRock boards for these builds. thanks for all the help bud and will be in touch most likely with these new builds.

cool, if you follow the guide here on the forum and dont stray too far away Tweaking you should be able to manage very well.. This site is awesome and a ton of people who really know thier stuff...

Back