• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed on previous overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not so much worried as concerned as it gets close to 72c, the limit we, as a rule stick to.
do you have fans in the case side window blowing in?
if not, make that happen.
if that will not happen, lock the two cores.

as a rule we follow Mr. Trents path. 4.0 ghz max, 55c (24/7 clock) core temp with a peak of 62c, 72c socket temp. these limits keep us from frying your stuff.
if you want to puhh higher after you know what you are doing start another thread stating you want to push for a moonshot at all costs and folks will help you with that.
we are about overclocking after all and when overclocking you toast stuff.

Last edited:
Here's the basic setup for my case:

IMG_20120810_112839[1].jpg

There is a fan in the side, but it's below the video card. There's no room between the side of the case and my CPU cooler to put a fan in there, but I put one in the front above the DVD drive and card reader, pulling in through the mesh. The back and top fans are both exhaust, and the video card exhausts out the back as well.

On a side note: Wouldn't it make more sense for motherboard manufacturers to place PCI-E and other peripheral slots above the CPU, as heat rises and they can generally take more than a CPU can heat wise? Just thinking out loud is all.

we deal with what we gots. your stll in the safe zone, and if you exceed the limits things will not just go pop.

On a side note: Wouldn't it make more sense for motherboard manufacturers to place PCI-E and other peripheral slots above the CPU, as heat rises and they can generally take more than a CPU can heat wise? Just thinking out loud is all.

Yeah, but then you adding heat to typically already hot video cards.

Generally speaking when we say (I say) run p95 Blend for 2 + hours I am intending to see how hot your stuff is going to get when fully loaded. If you are a good distance from a 70c socket temp then good. That way when the case gets dust in it and such as the heatsink compound drying out some...there is not a huge issue because most cannot do enough on the system at one time to equal the load of P95 Blend. So the idea is that you do not see that high temp in general use. If 3.87Ghz is fine with you and the two extra cores unlocked...I think you could easily rokkon; while planning for your desk remodel.
RGone...

Thanks for the insight RGone.

Bad news, I was messing with settings last night and into this morning, trying to get a stable 4GHz as x4, and now I can't get anything above stock to work for me. I can't even get the system to post with UCC enabled any more. Did I damage something? I didn't let temps get out of control, and voltages were about the same for any setting I tried. I don't know.

try a return to default, it's f5 key or f9 key or a button in the bios.
if that fails try a cmos reset.

Some of those boards and bioses are the dickens to get back to normal after disabling ACC or UCC whatever the unlocker is called. A good CMOS clear is likely going to have to happen.
RGone...

Back