• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Needed With First Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@ssiVe

Hi all
ive been back and forth to this great site alot but never had the balls to try and Oc, well ive finally grew a pair WOO HOO! and would like some help from you guys at starting of.
ive just done my first build and would like any suggestions or help on getting abit more out of it as im a virgin to Overlocking.
my pc specs:

Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L rev 1.1 motherboard with f9 bios
4gb kingston hyperx KHX8500D2K2 memory (2 x 2gb sticks)
Intel Q6600 core to quad processor
512mb Xfx Nvidia 9600gt graphics card
720w power supply
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

my memory only reads at 800mhz, but i expected that as on Gigabyte website for my mobo it says my ram is supported but it will be downgraded as the board is for 667mhz and 800mhz ram http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3261&dl=1#ov

So please if any of you could help would be great Thanks

Welcome M@ssive! I will say you picked the right place.

I used the above guide Hokie is recommending, and it was perfect. Very simple to understand, and very easy to follow step by step. I have no need for CRAZY OCs, and it got me from a 3.0 C2D up to 3.6 without ever having to read anything else. It even got me up to 3.8 with NO problems once I fixed my own fauxpas!

The number one thing I found was keeping me back on my OC on my first build (stuck at 3.6 on an E8400 C2D) was my thermal compound. Not really the type I was using, but my application of it. It took me about 3 times of applying it to be able to get it up above 3.6 stable and cool on a stress test. The first time I was running stable on Prime95 for about 12 hours at 3.6 but the cores were running at about 68C** the whole time. The second time wasn't too much better, 3.6 at about 63.5C**. With the third application I ran stable at 3.8 and only running at about 55-58C** the whole time. I could have probably reached 4.0 but never attempted.

I used Arctic Silver 5 on that build. It worked plenty well once I figured out a good amount and good spread on it. The first time I think I used too much. I was told to reapply and use less, and ended up using too little. Third try I apparently go it right. I just installed my new Q9400 using MX-4, and I'm excited to see the results over the next few days! If you've tweaked everything else, and gone as far as you can go, you may consider reapplying.

** I accidentally posted all the temps 10C higher than they were, so I edited this to reflect the true values. SORRY!

Last edited:
Back