• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Overclocking FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry for the late reply, Here are the settings.

Multi - 23 / NB- 2200
Bus - 200 / HT - 2000
Pci - 100

1.4v Vcore / 1.268 NBV / 1.65 Dram V

And all the LLC stuff are on to Extreme and Disable.

ps. I now change the vcore to 1.4 and NBV to 1.25. priming at the moment and everything seems to be working fine.

Temps are better than before
46lowtemps.png

Last edited:
try raising the ht link speed to 2200 or 2400 making no other changes.
open cpu-z twice showing the cpu and memory tab. Rgone has informed me that bulldozer likes the ht link equal to or above the cpu/nb speed and fooling around a bit lastnight seems to bear this out.

Aiight for my 4.6 stable or 4.8 ?. and for what reason tho does the HT link needs to be above NB freq ?

Last edited:
these cpu's seem to like it that way.
if you are gaming or wanting to get get max system performance these need to be up, and i will give up processor speed to get my work done.
if you will look at the posts of bulldozer and pile driver on first install and return to default in bios this is the fasion they install.
I will be running a program i use next week that takes five days on my phenom2's and has taken almost that long with my 4170 with the ht over the cpu/nb to test this at Rgones behest
to find out if this works better.

I raised the HT Link to 2400 as you told me on my 4.6 stable. I'm priming it now. ima post the result after.

Caddi here's the result so far. HTLink.png :)

Note: hmm 1 worker stopped at within the 1st hour of prime " Illegal Sumout ".. Do I need to raise the volts or something ?

I'm trying 2200 HT Link now.. ima post pics once its done. :)

Last edited:
1. I have an overclock that is stable running P95 Blend mode for 2 to 4 hours with bus settings of X, Y and Z.

2. I now change the X bus setting and begin to run P95 Blend mode. Now one worker fails. Do I raise voltages or what?

3. It depends. You can try to raise the voltage to the bus that is failing. However it maybe that the bus that was changed just cannot run at another speed with the particular cpu speed in use. Workable bus speeds vary from one cpu to the next.

1. I have an overclock that is stable running P95 Blend mode for 2 to 4 hours with bus settings of X, Y and Z.

2. I now change the X bus setting and begin to run P95 Blend mode. Now one worker fails. Do I raise voltages or what?

3. It depends. You can try to raise the voltage to the bus that is failing. However it maybe that the bus that was changed just cannot run at another speed with the particular cpu speed in use. Workable bus speeds vary from one cpu to the next.

Hey, thanks for pointing it out. And im just doing what CD suggested so far the one with 2200 both ht and NBF is running fine, almost 4 hours on prime blend test.:)

caddi daddi said:
I will be running a program i use next week that takes five days on my phenom2's and has taken almost that long with my 4170 with the ht over the cpu/nb to test this

I will explain his statement. He has a Linux based program that to run to full completion in one area, takes about 5 days to run and get an answer. FAR more involved and demanding than most little benchmarks we use to test our systems for our games and such and we holler hallelujah when we get a 'good' score.

Now I have known him for about 3 mos now and he like me has mechaniced most of his life. We do not think inside of boxes. We test and test and test again. Then we adjust accordingly.

So he had 4 FX-8120s and he "used" one of those that was not the best Mhz overclocker but DID the most work. Something about some cpus make one better than another for REAL work but not necessarily related to the Max Mhz.

Now he has an FX-4170 that will run P95 stable at about 5.2Ghz if I remember correctly. BUT the performance seems lower when that 4170 is pushed much beyond 4.8Ghz, although it is OUR type of stable at 5.2Ghz stable.

He gave me a buzz on the fone ane we discussed some things. He described precisely where he was in his setup and I had a 'gut' feeling and related same to him.

One thing to know is that over a 5 day period the FX-4170 running at 4.8Ghz was only 3 hours quicker than his P2 965 BE running at 4.1Ghz. That is not a lot of reason to upgrade from Phenom2 to FX.

So what he said he will be testing is the sweet spot speed-wise of his cpu which is not its' fastest Mhz and will be adjusting his HT and CPU/NB to 2600Mhz AND raising his ram speed to as fast as it will go and tight as it will go to see if his REAL work can be done in say only 4 days and not the 5 it has been taking.

I have speculated that instead of 5 days, now the application may finish in 4 days. Time will tell the outcome. But what he is doing is far away from what most understand in forums. Most don't do anything but go for max clock. Caddi Daddi is going for Max amount of real work that can be done in a period of time. I am waiting to see if my 'gut' was accurate or if I just had too much pizza. Hehehe.

RGone...ster. :chair:

I see.. Nice. Me, I just want to get the most out of this cpu while staying in the safe spot. I'm running 4.6 on prime for 12 hours and my highest core temp only reaches 52. I would want to push it to 4.8 but within 20 mins on prime a worker stops. And if memory serves me right, I did read about your post on you trying 8350 on 4.3 all the way to 5 and found out that the best spot was around 4.5 ? I don't remember exactly if it was 8350 or something but like I said I have read your post on something like that. :)

stable4613hours-1.png

Last edited:
Well a hair over 4.6Ghz at only 1.45Vcore seems about right. It would have taken that voltage to reach 4.4Ghz on FX-8150 for most people. Sure there were exceptions.

I would bump the FSB from 200 to 205 and that will bump the Mhz another 100 and see if it will hold that. 68c on the CPU Temp is right up there where it surely can become unstable.

You may just be at the end of more Mhz without more Vcore. But your CPU Temp is mighty close to the unstable area.

Yeah regarding that 68 cpu temp, it only went up there for at least 30 secs then went back to 50-55 stable for as long as I have my prime running * still running till now * . It's weird but yeah. And Ima go try raising the fsb to 205 without changing anything then ima go post the result later. Thanks again for all the help. :)

I'm not sure if you are there yet but there comes a time when OCing the FX COU that you will find working with the FSB will get you stable allot easier then just working with the multiplier. Though doing this complicates things a bit and there is a bunch of things that also get changed that you have to deal with at the same time.

Yeah, even when I change the fsb a lil bit one worker will stop. Would you mind giving me your settings in bios since we have the same mobo and cpu ? that's if its okay with you.. and those llc settings aswell since I have mine on extreme and disabled .. Thanks .

I'm not trying to throw a wrench in bassnuts work here.
when he's not on line, save the settings he has you at in a profile under the tools tab
so you can pick right back up again.
I would like you to bump the settings up and down one or two clicks to learn the effects.

Yup :) but Ima go give it to you when he gives it to me well that's if he will =)

Well looks like I have an extended holliday ..... truck broke down.

OCing is not about settings .... what will work for me might not work for you its all about finding what will work for you. What I am siggesting and what I feel works best when pushing your OC a bit more on these FX CPUs is to use a combination of the FSB and a multiplier to help get stable.

Correct me if I am wrong but you are stable @ 4.6GHZ .... right.

What I am suggesting is set your FSB to 225 and a multi @ 20.5 and test for stability. You will need to check and back off some settings at the same time ..... Your ram, CPU/NB and HT Link will all be raised as you do this, bring them back down to something near or below what you have them at now @ 4.6GHZ. What worked for me with a 225 FSB was CPU/NB and HT around 2350 ish ..... can't remember exactly but you will see the numbers when you click on the setting in bios look for something in the 2300 - 2400MHZ area and it wont hurt to go lower we can always bump them up later and keep both the CPU/NB and HT the same. My system would not boot at annything over 2500MHZ on the CPU/NB.

This is just a different way to get your 4.6GHZ clock you have now. If this is still stable then post back your results. Lets get you stable there first and worry about 4.8 later. I am gonna be home all day today though I have lots of work to do around the house and will keep an eye out for yur progress.

Last edited:
Back