• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Overclocking FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well looks like I have an extended holliday ..... truck broke down.

OCing is not about settings .... what will work for me might not work for you its all about finding what will work for you. What I am siggesting and what I feel works best when pushing your OC a bit more on these FX CPUs is to use a combination of the FSB and a multiplier to help get stable.

Correct me if I am wrong but you are stable @ 4.6GHZ .... right.

What I am suggesting is set your FSB to 225 and a multi @ 20.5 and test for stability. You will need to check and back off some settings at the same time ..... Your ram, CPU/NB and HT Link will all be raised as you do this, bring them back down to something near or below what you have them at now @ 4.6GHZ. What worked for me with a 225 FSB was CPU/NB and HT around 2350 ish ..... can't remember exactly but you will see the numbers when you click on the setting in bios look for something in the 2300 - 2400MHZ area and it wont hurt to go lower we can always bump them up later and keep both the CPU/NB and HT the same. My system would not boot at annything over 2500MHZ on the CPU/NB.

This is just a different way to get your 4.6GHZ clock you have now. If this is still stable then post back your results. Lets get you stable there first and worry about 4.8 later. I am gonna be home all day today though I have lots of work to do around the house and will keep an eye out for yur progress.

An hour on prime and 1 worker stopped.

ballzsettings461hourworkerstopped.png

hmm I couldn't see any 2300-2400 link and nb freq coz im only running a 1600 ram. So the closest I found was 2250. So it's probably the reason why one of the worker stopped. idk >.<

well that looks good the upper end of your safe temps..... but with a core temp of 50*C you are slowly getting up to the max temps that we would recomend for a 24 / 7 OC. We still have some room to go mind you though not much as you will soon see heat generate allot faster. It looks like you are coming up on the limits that your cooling can handle.

I would add a bit more VCore, 1 or 2 bumps only in your bios, try 1 bump first ..... if you were able to go for an hour you should be pretty close. Keep a closer eye on your temps now Max Core 55*C - 60*C and Max CPU Socket temp of 70*C. It probably wouldnt hurt to bump your ram volts a tiny bit .... 1.7v. What is LLC set to ..... if extream lower it one step.

Okay I bumped the vcore once and yeah the llc is set to extreme. :) im running prime now, see if it will surpass the 1 hour mark.

ok ..... next time you are in bios drop your LLc down one level. You shouldnt need to use Extream that is meant more for the Extream OC'rs here using LN2 and such.

I've been running Priming for 1 hour now and everything seems fine including the temps maxing at 52 core and 60 cpu. Hmmm. I use 1.40 v on bios and extreme llc takes it to 4.5 so I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to leave it on extreme so long I " -5volts " what ever volts I set my vcore to ? is that even proper English ?

Dont worry about your english it is very good.

What LLC does ..... it helps stabalize your VCore under load. You might have heard or read the term vDroop or vDrop. Check out some of the threads on Gigabyte boards. What happens is when you push your CPU the VCore drops cuasing you to run a higher VCore when it isnt needed. I am sure there is more to LLC then that and RGone or trents or even caddiedaddie who all know about the inner workings can explain it allot better.

Ahh okay Ima go read on that. Priming for almost 2 hours now with your suggested settings and with volts up by a bit...

2hoursballzsettings46.png

Does that mean that we're moving on to the next step ? >.<

Yes you are good to go ...... up your multi to 21 (4.725MHZ) and run prime you can leave everything else as is and run prime ...... not sure if you will pass but keep an eye on your temps. If a worker stops then reboot and add a bit of VCore and try again ...... watch those temps ..... 55 - 60*C MAX on your cores.

Ive already said we are getting close to the limit of your cooling. If you can get stable at 4725MHZ I think you should be hapy with that till you can get some better cooling.

I'm going to leave prime running while I go to sleep. It's now 6 am here in South Australia so Ima call it a day for me.. Just post the stuff that I have to do next and Ima get on it as soon as I wake up. Thank you for helping out, I really appreciate it. >.<

ps : Priming the new settings before I sleep >.<

I tried the 4.7 settings but so far, within the 1st hour of prime a worker stops. I raised the volts all the way to 4.3 and my llc takes it up to 4.8 and still does nothing. Temps are reaching 62 degrees on cores and 64 on cpu. Hmm I think Ima just back off a lil bit and keep my 4.6 settings until I get another rad. Thanks for helping Rgone, Caddie and Bass. Ima go and ask you for help again once I installed my other rad =) Cheers you guys rocks !!! >.<

Your welcome. The good thing in all this is you have worked at and learnd 2 different ways to OC your FX CPU. They are a pretty good CPU but do draw a bit of pwer and gen a lot of heat / fair amount of heat, dealing with the heat is the hard part. One question though .......

I raised the volts all the way to 4.3 and my llc takes it up to 4.8 and still does nothing. Temps are reaching 62 degrees on cores and 64 on cpu.

I am gonna asume 4.3 and 4.8 is a typo and you didn't mean you raised your VCore that high.

Your welcome. The good thing in all this is you have worked at and learnd 2 different ways to OC your FX CPU. They are a pretty good CPU but do draw a bit of pwer and gen a lot of heat / fair amount of heat, dealing with the heat is the hard part. One question though .......

I am gonna asume 4.3 and 4.8 is a typo and you didn't mean you raised your VCore that high.

Lewl I'm meant to say 1.43 - 1.48 >.< ehehe oh well, Thanks heaps !!!

Jah, me thinks he left-off a 1.

I have been doing some testing of the FX-8120 I finally got and it is nothing to clock an FX on CHV board. The board is tough enough and has enough easy to reach settings to clock the FX thing. But my gawd the heat.

Then C_D called and wanted to know how to get more real work out of FX thang and then the fun started. I have not really had to clear the CMOS but once since I got the FX but since looking for more real power to do work, I have had to clear the CMOS twice and had windows fail to boot or BSOD on booting at least 25 times. You get this FX things out of their comfort zone and they pitch a freeken fit. Hehehe.

A pretty big pattern is beginning to come to the front and that is it is not much use to go for that 2 or 300Mhz since it does not do much except for someone doing benchmarks. The last Mhz do not do much more day in and day out work. One could save a lot of money by not trying to use 4.7Ghz when 4.3Ghz easily does the job without having to wrestle with the heat.

One thing that has bit me is that raising the CPU/NB beyond the 2650Mhz speed brings me grief. The difference between 2550Mhz CPU/NB and 2650Mhz is 0.1 Voltage. On an air-cooled rig that is another big hit in heat.

C_D starts his long-run test on Monday, so I think we may get more insight into work per Mhz and that will interesting to me. Might keep me from having to 'think' I must move to Vishera. Hehehe.

Good luck with cooling "deftone". I think it is not worth the extra money in the long run but beating back the heat is the only way they will run that last 200Mhz, even if that last bit is mostly wasted on real work.

True. This chip gets pretty hot. Ima keep this 4.6 since I don't really do bench-marking and all, It's more like .. I wanted to squeeze every ounce of mhz I could out of my 200 Australian dollar chip but it seems that my cooling system is keeping me from doing so. Oh well, 4.6 does the job and its going to be summer here in dec - feb so there's really no point for me to go for that extra 200 mhz in exchange for heat * LOL temps are prolly going to be 70c +++ *. Anyway's I'm pretty excited my self to see C_D's results. Ehehe I wish him all the best and for all the people who have helped me. Keep it up !!! and once I do get another rad, then Ima go annoy you again. Lewl !!! >.<

@"deftone", forgot you were just before entering your hot seasons. That stands a good chance to raise your temps some for sure. It does on my minimulist rigs for sure. Doesn't affect my bench rig much though.

We hear this phrase pretty regular >> " I wanted to squeeze " << and it sounds okay at the first saying, but after many years of fooling with this stuff it is not wholly accurate to me anymore.

With that FX-8350 you have and the CHV board, you can manipulate the HT Speed, the Ram speed and timings and the CPU/NB speeds for more 'power' with an AMD rig than just WFO cpu mhz. Far more power to do work most likely. You have just barely scratched or put a nick on the deal with 4.6Ghz. Now is when the real fun should begin. Manipulating and balancing the other three busses and the Ram speed and timings to get the system to really crunch the 1s and 0s. Doing the balance dance of the other bus speeds may have you running at 4.48Ghz or something along those lines but the speed in completing real world applications might be faster. Only the doing and testing will tell the real story. Have fun man. RGone...ster

It sounds like that is what C_D is doing/testing ? Ima go try and play around with it and see how it goes... Ima go read more stuff about overclocking. But sersly, being on this thread taught me a lot LOL I feel like I'm getting a free lecture !!! ahah win win for me >.<

Back