• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking my Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For me it's no more than 1-2 memtest86+ passes and 1h AIDA64 memory+cache stability test. I don't like to waste energy and stress hardware without good reason ( like benching :) ).

@op

AS you can see from the last few posts, stability testing is pretty subjective too! There is no right and wrong way. Whether it is 2 hours testing, 1/2/3 passes, leaving it running overnight...the whole point is to have a procedure that will indicate to your satisfaction that the system is stable. For instance, when it's a brand new build, I run stability tests from a boot disk (no HDD installed) and leave the system running continuously for 7 nights. When it's an intermediary check to test overclocks I might only run it for an hour. All depends exactly what level of stability you wish to confirm. As long as the system is stable for the applications you normally run, and good temps are being maintained, then you are good to go.

And yes, what I do may be well be overkill. But it is the way I was trained to build systems. After all, if a new system is confirmed stable after continual testing for 7 days and nights, then you are less likely to have a unit returned for repair.

Just my 2 cents lol

7 days out of the box? Good lawd, what a waste of time. I'd flip your process around personally. Test for an hour or two out of the box, then when you settled on an overclock, do your seven days.

Seven days... Wow. We test for.4 hours in a data center for our new servers which some are mission critical. Save some time and shave 6 days off that process. :)

That said your underlying point I agree with (everyone has a different time but test so what YOU do is stable)

SEVEN days?!!! (Sorry can't get over that!!)

Back