• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help setting up fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdfox

Hey guys, i have the Zalman fan controller thats in my sig and i havnt had chance to install it yet. I had a go this morning but could not get my head round how to get all 8 fans connected to it.
Here is a a very poor diagram i made :/
What i would like to do is be able to control 2 fans per channel but no idea if its possible and if it is how to do it. If you need me to take some pics of the inside of my case and so on just tell me which ones and i will post them up. I know this isnt one of the best controllers but i liked the digital display and temps, watts usage.
Also since my case wont fit the H100 with fans attached inside i have had to put the rad inside and the 2 120mm fans on the top blowing down, not ideal but its the only way will fit until i can afford the antec case.
So... im looking to invest in some new fans 4 120mm fans and 3 80mm that would offer better cooling and lower db :D any suggestions would be great, never bought or looked into cooling fans before.

Attachments

• poor painting.png
    poor painting.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
The Zalman ZM-MFC3 only has four (4) channels to control fans with, with the 4th channel being PWM. So, without any modding you will only be able to control 4 fans.
If you wanted to control 2 fans per channel you either have to 1) cut, strip, solder the connectors together or 2) buy a 2 male 1 female Y connector like this
With a max output of only 0.7A per channel I would not recommend running 2 fans. Here are the specs.

-H

Attachments

• ZM-MFC3_b_03.jpg
    ZM-MFC3_b_03.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 187
ok yeah i get ya now, so if i leave the 3 80mm fans which are molex connected to psu and connect the 2 corsair front l.e.d and back exhaust fan to it that would be the best way to go?
Any sussgestgions on some 120/140mm fans to replace these ones i have in now?

I would be tempted to leave the back exhaust fan on molex power and connect the Z11+ LED 120mm to your controller for a couple of reasons.
1) You will probably not hear a difference between 100% and 70% from your back exhaust.
2) You probably will hear a difference from the front intake fan. (at least that's is the circumstance with my computer.)
As far as replacing your current 120/140mm fans it depends on what you want and what you are willing to compromise. Do you want your computer to be silent and sacrifice performance? Generally you cannot have both.

-H

sound in not an issue, i use a 7.1 surround sound system and even when the h100 fans are set to max i can barely hear them and price wise i would pay up to £10 per fan. I just want that extra cooling performance to push my 2600k a little further. I spent a tidy sum on this comp so might as well pay the extra £££,s to keep it nice and cooling during benchies.

I recently have bought some AeroCool Shark Series fans that I love. They push a good amount of air and aren't excessively loud. But, they are on the pricier side of fans.
I don't know too much about UK PC sites but I did find this. You can get them in whatever color you want.

-H

Nice they look awsome, do you think with 2 of those with my H100 and 2 more later on in push/pull that they will lower my temps enough to justify spending £45 ? Right now i can manage 5ghz @ 1.5v which is pushing my temps to the point it throttles back during primes and around 80,s benching. I could probably get 5ghz with lower voltage with some tweaking but their is so many setting on this board its hard to keep track of all the changes. :bang head

Probably not. I would estimate that you would gain a few degrees at best, but the main advantage you would gain would be sound since in P/P the fans can spin at a lower RPM.
If you want better performance, the next step would be a custom W/C loop or mod your H100 to add another 120.1 rad.

-H

Edit: Read this thread, it might help to show the performance differences and in your decision making.

Last edited:
Back