• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with AMD OC Stability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds to me you are still using a program either in windows or in the BIOS to OC the system. Have you tested it for stability? What are your temps at?

It is called "HT Link Frequency". Your's is at 1000 because that is the limitation imposed by the chipset of the motherboard.

We need two things from you: First, we need you to put your system info in a "Sig" so that it travels with every post you make. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top and then Edit Signature. This is a common courtesy on the forum. You can refer to mine or one of the other regulars if you want guidance as to what to include in the Sig.

Second, we need you to post pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. That will help us and you with a lot of system and bios info in graphical form. There is a built in forum tool for attaching pics. First, crop and save the images to disk using Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window which will take you to the advanced post window. Locate the little paper clip tool at the top of the advanced post window and that will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

Have you tested the stability of your overclock settings by running the Prime95 blend test? Try it for 20 minutes. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop while you do that to monitor core temps. If you core temps are exceeding about 57c they are getting too hot for stability.

Correction, what and how do I access "HT Link" displayed in CPU-Z. Sorry for the confusion!
Rpg

What are the consequences and what may be affected by a 1000 HT link? I will attempt through your instructions on creating a sig and getting a picture of CPU-Z - Thank you!

On that board you probably do not have a control in bios to do this. You could do this indirectly by increasing the fsb (aka, CPU frequency or HT Reference) but then you would have to make other adjustments to ram frequency and CPUNB or they will get too fast and become unstable.

What are the consequences and what may be affected by a 1000 HT link? I will attempt through your instructions on creating a sig and getting a picture of CPU-Z - Thank you!

A slow HT Link could bottleneck hard disk and PCIe performance, I think. Good question and I'm a little deficient in knowledge of microprocessor architecture. It will probably not be noticed that much in real life computing unless you do some real demanding computing tasks.

Success! Ran Prime95 for about 20 some minutes and it stopped with - PASS! I ran the blended test. I think I've pushed this puppy as far as i can, I am now at peace. Thanks to all those who helped me, much appreciated. By the way, none of my CPU core temps exceeded 50C!
Rpg
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
ASUS M4N68T-M V2 MB
Cool Master 212 Single Fan
Corsair XMS3 4GX2 1333
Antec 500W PS
Dual LG Blue BD Re-Writers
Antec Case
HP W2207 Display
XFX Radion HD9650 2GB GPU
WD 1TB Velociraptor HDD
Patriot Wildfire 240GB SSD
Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

Passing a 20 minute Prime95 blend test only may mean you are close to a stable overclock and depending on how you use the computer it may be good enough. Usually, we confirm stability with a Prime95 blend run of at least 2 hrs. But congrats! You certainly have made progress. What is ou CPU speed now?

CPU speed increase from stock 3.4 to 4.0 ghz. Ram Corsair XMS-3 2X4gb stock 1333, 9,9,9,24,34 to 1500 9,9,9,24,34. Cpu core voltage set to "Auto" 1.44V. I will try running prime95 for a couple of hours, which of it's tests would you suggest? After the Blend test passed after 20 minutes or so, it seemed to stop and just said "passed" on all 4 cores, no other messages.
Thank you very much! By the way, had my Kids play BF3 for over an hour and this machine now screams without signs of any type of glitch, the game is set to all ultra settings of course, and i think i may have increased the FPS as it seemed to run not only very fast but very smooth too, is this possible after a successful OC?
Rpg
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
ASUS M4N68T-M V2 MB
Cool Master 212 Single Fan
Corsair XMS3 4GX2 1333
Antec 500W PS
Dual LG Blue BD Re-Writers
Antec Case
HP W2207 Display
XFX Radion HD9650 2GB GPU
WD 1TB Velociraptor HDD
Patriot Wildfire 240GB SSD
Windows 7 32 and 64 bit

Last edited:
Sounds like Prime95 locked up on you in midstream. It does not stop itself. I think the blend test is the best all around test.

Back