• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with an asus m4n98td evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acutekat

alright i hope this is the right place to do this but here goes

i have recently purchased a m4n98td evo along with an amd phenom II 1090t black edition and now have decided that i would like to overclock the thing

this is my first attempt overclocking and so far i have not gotten the results i have been looking for. the only semi-stable OC setting i have gotten was when i only bumped up the multiplier by one ( OS loaded and ran a CPU tester for a few minutes), any tomfoolery with the bus frequency makes the computer not start (like what happens when you ram isn't seated right is just turns on and off continuously or crash right when the OS is starting

the base cpu bus rate is 200 and the base multiplier is 16.0 i have only been messing with these two settings there are far too many options in and around the bios to attempt to keep and sort of experimental process going on

on the mother board there are two settings related to over clocking, the core unlocker switch (which i have on ) and the overvoltage jumper (which i do not have on regular voltage allows up to 1.5 and over volt to 1.85)

i would appreciate any insight or advice you could render

here's the processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

ram is a 1600 g skill ddr3

Last edited:
. . .any tomfoolery with the bus frequency makes the computer not start http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849ram is a 1600 g skill ddr3

In bios, make sure you have the overclock mode set to PCIE async. What you are describing could be caused by the PCIE frequency being increased along with the "fsb" (dated, incorrect term) increase because you left the overclock mode on PCIE synchronous or "Auto". The PCIE bus is very intolerant of speed changes.

I don't think that is the issue because the mode i have it in manual shows the PCIE frequency at the default 100 even when i mess with the bus frequency

and update i finally have the thing booting but it is unstable during some of the stress tests i have followed a few of the guides i found and took off all the voltages from auto to their recommended or suggested values (for OC'ing) and now using prime 95 is usually blue screens around test 4 or 5 right when im trying to take a screen shot to prove i did it ill post what i have runnin in the bios
the most stable configuration i have is running the cpu ratio at 20
turning off the CPB control
leaving the cpu bus frequency at 200
leaving the PCIE frequency at 100
DRAM frequency at 1600 ram at timming 7-8-7-24
CPU/NB frequency at 2400
HT link speed at 2000
processor voltage at 1.5
cpu/nb voltage at 1.35
cpu vdda voltage at 2.5
dram voltage at 1.66
ht voltage at 1.20
nb voltage at 1.1
and nForce200 voltage at 1.2
i've disabled all of the spread spectrums

Also realize that when you increase the fsb you are increasing your ram speed, the HT Link speed and the CPUNB speed all at the same time, any of which will create instability after a certain point. When overclocking with the fsb (correct term with AMD is "HT Reference" but shows up in bios as "CPU frequency") you need to start your ram at a speed that is lower than its rating and clock up to its rating. Watch the HT Linkd speed and NB (CPUNB) speed as well as you increase the fsb and don't let them get too high. CPU-z is a handy program for this. The important tabs are "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". This program reports lots of useful info about your system and various system settings.

i have reduced the HT and the NB frequency down a lot below what their regular running speed is and still it crashes i also turned down the ram frequency and it is usntable as all get out

i finally got overclocking with just the multiplier to work im running at 4ghz relatively stable (haven't had any BSOD yet knock on wood)

You will see very little performance sacrifice by just overclocking with the CPU multiplier. It is curious, though, that you couldn't use the system bus to overclock at all.

Back