• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with first overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Denii3D

Registered
So as of yesterday I overclocked my rig for the first time (just the CPU Ratio Clock from 16.50 to 20.00). Everything has been running smooth but I wanted to run prime 95 and make sure it was stable before I tried to push a little further.

During my first run of Prime95 within 5 minutes my Worker 6 stopped running, so I closed out restarted and ran again, same thing happened.

I Then went back to the BIOS and Hit "Load Optimized Defaults" to reset back to factory setting and try Prime95 With stock settings. After around 1 hour 20 mins I had a max temp reading of 65 Degrees and all workers worked properly.

Does this mean that my setup was unstable? I would like to get that 4.0 Ghz back as it made all the difference in the world when playing Guild Wars 2. A little more info on my rig.

Amd FX-6100 3.3
Gigabyte 970A-D3
8 GB Corsair Mem
Corsair 500 or 600 watt PSU (not sure, will let you know when home)
Liquid Cooling

Anything else you need to help out I will certainly provide you with.

:welcome: to the forum Denii3D
Firstly I assume that you are using a stock cooler?
It would help all of us help you if you could put up a signature like you see in the bottom of my post. At the top of the page you'll see a header called Quick links if you click on that you'll see Edit Signature. Once there put down as much info as possible about your rig. :ty:
So if you want to hit those higher clocks you sill need a better cooler for the CPU. You are hitting 65 at stock settings I don't know if that's your core or socket temp but it's already hot.
The case makes a big difference too try running it again with the side panel off and see if the temps drop.HWmonitor free is what we use here and we're all familiar with it. This will give you a package and CPU temp. We need to see that
EDIT: sorry I just re read your post I see you have liquid. You probably need to re seat you heat sink. with temps like that. Or you don't have enough air in that case

Last edited:
+1 johan.
I would also like to see a hardware monitor snip and cpu-z also.
welcome Denii3D

Im using Asetec 510LC liquid cooling system with 120 mm fan also. Will update sig now.

Ok, so I need 3 posts on the forum to have a sig, which I will work on now, but I will post everything right here for now.

CPU [email protected]
Mobo GigaByte 970A-D3
PSU CX500 v280
Ram 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Video HIS Radeon HD 7850
OS Windows 8 64 bit
Case Thermaltake Commander
Cooler Asetec 510LC Liquid Cooling

You will probably need more than 3 posts to be able to create a Sig. I think there is also a time parameter after a certain number of posts. It used to be you could access the Sig within one hour after your second post but I'm not sure if that's the rule anymore.

Along with increasing the CPU core multiplier you will also need to increase the CPU core voltage, what we call "vcore" in shorthand form, in order to maintain stability. You can usually get a small to moderate overclock without having to add voltage but once you get to a certain point you will need to add vcore to restabilize.

From what I see that COOLER SHOULD DO A DECENT JOB. sO LIKE I SAID EARLIER aW MAN CPS AGAIN Either there isn't enough air through your case did you add any fans or is that case stock cause it only comes with two. Or you have bad contact..and need to redo your heat sink.
EDIT : was that ladt shot under load cause your temps seemed fine. And 1.488 vcore is a lot.

From your HWMonitor pics it is obvious you still have Cool N Quiet enabled as your vcore swings wildly. Disable Cool N Quiet, C6, Turbo Core Boost (or whatever they call it), APM and C1E in bios. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure the power scheme to high performance if it is not already. That should disable all the "green" stuff that interferes with the overclocking process.

Then we will need to see pics of HWMonitor that reflect max temps that were reached during a 20 minute Prime95 blend test run.

+1 trents
looking at his cooler i'm thinking 4.0 is going to be the upper limit with the 6100.
adding a second fan might help further down the road.

And just so you'll know, that motherboard is not a good choice for overclocking the 6300 so don't expect too much. You really need a board with 8+2 powerphase and good heat sinks on the VRM area.

Cant tell you how much I appreciate the help so far, going to do what was suggested above and I will post back as soon as its done.

yea, don't get to down about the mother board.
johan and trents can help you get what can be gotten out of what you have, and thats what overclocking is all about.

Ok, I don't know if this matters at all but when playing games temp usually ranges from 35-42 degrees and idle between 15-22. Anyway thought I would throw that out. Here are the screenshots after 20 min prime test alone with CoreTemp.

CaptureNEW.PNG

CaptureNEW2.PNG

Ya that's definitely toasty. Did you have the side panel off?
Also do you have any of the MOBO utilities installed? That 255 is off the charts makes me think you have the OC software or dimilar installed?

The problem with using CoreTemp for monitoring temps is that it only shows the Core Temp which is already too high actually. If you pull on the bottom of HWMonitor you can get all the Voltages and also the "package" temps which are a renaming of Core Temps in HWMonitor.

With 64c Core/package temp being too high, you have no real room to overclock.

Running two monitoring programs and them both trying to get info from the same electronic point, you will have errors as seen in HWMonitor.
RGone...

No I didn't. This pc is only about a week old, I read that under the prime test everything being at 100 percent load 60+ degrees is normal under that kind of stress, but again I'm new to all of this so of course you would know better then me. Could it have anything to do with vcore being on auto? Anything I can do?

No MOBO Utilities at all. I basically got the pc and jacked up the cpu clock ratio with in a day or 2, aside from LOL, guild wars 2, and a few monitoring programs I have nothing on this pc.

The problem with using CoreTemp for monitoring temps is that it only shows the Core Temp which is already too high actually. If you pull on the bottom of HWMonitor you can get all the Voltages and also the "package" temps which are a renaming of Core Temps in HWMonitor.

With 64c Core/package temp being too high, you have no real room to overclock.

Running two monitoring programs and them both trying to get info from the same electronic point, you will have errors as seen in HWMonitor.
RGone...

So should I run again without Core Temp?

Denii, Re-run Prime for 20 minutes with HWmonitor open not core temp at stock so we know the temperature readings are accurate. If they are then you aren't going to have much head room for an overclock. As suggested above, possible additional case fans and/or Heatsink fan.

Back