• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with first overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No I didn't. This pc is only about a week old, I read that under the prime test everything being at 100 percent load 60+ degrees is normal under that kind of stress, but again I'm new to all of this so of course you would know better then me. Could it have anything to do with vcore being on auto? Anything I can do?

The temps under full load of Prime95 may be normal but the point is you really have no room to overclock as the temps are already at the max of what we recommend and overclocking just drives them higher. Your temps make me wonder if your cooler is not functioning properly or your case ventilation is inadequate as those temps are pretty high for stock voltages and an aftermarket water cooler.

Tell us about your case. Make? Model? Number, size and placement of case fans? How many of the fans are moving air into the case (intake) and how many are moving air out (exhaust)?

Ok, running again now. But aside from the worker failing on prime, even when I had overclocked to 4.0 my temp was the same as 3.3 after 1 hour of prime. Will post results in 20 mins

Ya I asked earlier he has a Tt commander comes with 2 fans.

It's this case Trents it looks like it only has 1 120mm installed from the factory.

This is exactly right, I have liquid cooling from cpu to heatsink with 120mm fan looks like its attached to heat sink or very close to it, and that's it for cooling. no other fans

And as of now my vcore is set to auto, I havnt made any adjustments to it.

Denii, you could try pulling the case door off and see if your temps drop. I feel that your issue is partially caused by the lack of airflow in the case. I would go out and get some case fans such as these for the case you really can't beat the price of these for the performance and maybe get a 70cfm yate loon to add to the heatsink if it will fit.

If I can come up with a solution and get to 3.8-4.0 ghz. do I want to enable all those things I turned off to oc (cool n queit, turbo, and windows power management)?

Funny thing im noticing right now!! In Coretemp my cpus are showing as 1.4 ghz. Shouldn't that change to high performance and all the bios features I messed with stop that from throttling down?

cfm is the number you want to look at, cubic feet per min.
size matters, it has to fit. 120mmx 25 is the most common.
pwm counts also, that is how the mother board controls the fan speed.

Now im getting error on windows 8. reset my motherboard to default again and my vcore in bios is on auto showing 1.420 seems like I cant win today.

Funny thing im noticing right now!! In Coretemp my cpus are showing as 1.4 ghz. Shouldn't that change to high performance and all the bios features I messed with stop that from throttling down?

Not necessarily. The power management scheme for the FX CPUs is very complex. It encompasses both CPU and motherboard power management. What you are experiencing is the typical scenario I'm afraid, for all but the highest end motherboards on the market. And that boils down to about four or five boards. The power management scheme seems to defy us but it's probably a good thing for the safety of the equipment unless you are employing high end boards and high end cooling.

I have gone back and re-read the entire 2 pages of threads. I was looking for the mobo police. I really did not find them on the scene.

The D3 not UD3 board he has comes in 4 revisions. 1.0, 1.1, 1.4 and Rev 3.0. The 3.0 is still using some kind of 4 + 1 VRM but the 3.0 now shows to have sinks on the VRM. Generally by now there would be a pretty serious warning about the board being pretty weak for use with 6 and 8 core processors.

The FX-6100 has a default cpu speed of 3.3Ghz and most of the time it will be with only a few cores running. Not all of them. But when we teach overclocking it is with ALL the cores on ALL the time and there is an immediate heavy load on the 4 + 1 VRM circuit. Will the board even handle a 700Mhz overclock to 4.0Ghz and with ALL the cores on? That is a pretty big consideration before he starts buying fans and mixing and modding for cooling when the board is not going to give him much overclock. Well not the overclock he has seen in all the forums.

If the OP is going to be happy with only 4.0Ghz then maybe spend for fans which he will have to have with a GooD mobo but I hate for him to think he is going into the 4.2 or 4.4Ghz range by only buyig fans. It is not likely to happen is my suspicion. The reason I am saying this now is that fans can get expensive. My pull fan for my Xigmatec cost me $15.99 plus shipping. Big CFM and PWM and 120mm.
RGone...

I appreciate all the responses. Seems like something is more wrong with everything at stock settings. After switching back, when I turn on the pc im getting blue screen and forced restart. after checking bios with all setting back to normal and windows setting back to balanced my bios is saying vcore is 1.420. I let computer sit for a while and came back and had another error to either restart pc or check for more repair solutions(somthing alone them lines). Anyway, after that restart it booted up and the vcore in hwmonitor was 1.425. The past few days I have not seen it exceed 1.320. I loaded up gw2 played for 10 mins and temp was at 50'degrees whereas before it never exceeded 43 while gaming for hours. Clearly I messed something up. Sorry for all the typos but im on phone now and its hard to be perfect.

Look in your motherboard manual and find how to clear the CMOS. Do so and it should return to your previous condition.
RGone...

Back