• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with first overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have gone back and re-read the entire 2 pages of threads. I was looking for the mobo police. I really did not find them on the scene. ...

I think I pointed that out in post #11, Robert.

Manually set the CPU vcore to similar levels as we saw in your opening pics of HWMonitor back in the beginning. You could be blue-screening because your vcore is now too high and the CPU is overheating.

If that doesn't help and you have access to another computer, download and burn to a DVD one of the "live" versions of Linux like Ubuntu live. This will bypass the hard disk completely. It could be you have corrupted an OS file or a driver file in Windows by repeated blue screens. That happens sometimes.

Gonna weight in here....My wife's rig is has the same mobo with a FX 6300, Thermaltake water 2.0 Performer, same case with front bottom and 1 top 120mm fan. Running F@H with cpu at full 100% on all cores only hits around 34C.
My sig rig again same mobo, FX6300, with Asetek 240 water cooling, in a Cooler Master HAF X with max fans. Under F@H at 100% cpu(all core) and 100% on gpu (EVGA GTX 650 2gb) sits right at 33C.
In both cases the CPUs are at stock running 4.0Mhz and ambient room temp of 28C.

Gonna weight in here....My wife's rig is has the same mobo with a FX 6300, Thermaltake water 2.0 Performer, same case with front bottom and 1 top 120mm fan. Running F@H with cpu at full 100% on all cores only hits around 34C.
My sig rig again same mobo, FX6300, with Asetek 240 water cooling, in a Cooler Master HAF X with max fans. Under F@H at 100% cpu(all core) and 100% on gpu (EVGA GTX 650 2gb) sits right at 33C.
In both cases the CPUs are at stock running 4.0Mhz and ambient room temp of 28C.

Awesome 'weigh-in'. Now not what you have but how you have your same motherboard setup to run. Maybe how your wife's rig is setup in bios to run. That is the how that "Denii3D" needs to know. Now that would be a whale of a weigh-in with particular voltages and other pertinent settings.
RGone...

Awesome 'weigh-in'. Now not what you have but how you have your same motherboard setup to run. Maybe how your wife's rig is setup in bios to run. That is the how that "Denii3D" needs to know. Now that would be a whale of a weigh-in with particular voltages and other pertinent settings.
RGone...

Only changes to either rig's bios was to set the ram speed and timings. Everything else is still at stock settings.

the 6300 turbo takes them up to 4.1. only change I made was in Windows power setting to high performance.

After I read what you said about only changing timiings related to the ram, I figured you were using TuboCore which will only clock 3 of the 6 cores to 4.0Ghz or so. That is not the same as what most want to do with an overclock. Or how they wind-up doing it with most tutorials since they disable TurboCore and adjust the mutliplier upward and run with all cores on at whatever speed they can overclock up to. You are using the FX-6300 as AMD designed it to run but not how most overclock. I expect you can do what your are doing with that motherboard and experience the temps you are seeing. But I doubt you will have such results with the multiplier locked to a speed of 4.0ghz and all the cores on at the same time. Happy computering.
RGone...

One thing we haven't seen from the OP is some CPUz shots of the memory and spds. Some of this instability could be from ram timings.

I tried changing vcore manually with no success. when I put in desired voltage it just keeps saying auto. As rgone and trents I.believe said, maybe I just shouldnt expect much from.this setup. I cant even change vcore manually and on auto its at 1.4 whichI cant cchange and even though I dont know much, I know thats very high for how mine is set up

yes I.figured. the problem was I was changing.it wrong. I figured it out. Anyway im going to see about returning it. after 20 mins of league of legends im around 60 degree s and before I was at 30. I think I fried somthing lol not quite sure

Denii3D, please take some digital pics of the overclocking areas of your bios and attach them with your post. I get the feeling you still do not have manual control turned on in bios. We need to see what you see so we can help you more specifically.

/\+1 Trents.
Denii3D did you manage to set it back to default? Or clear the CMOS?
EDIT: when you cleared the CMOS did you also pull the battery?

After I read what you said about only changing timiings related to the ram, I figured you were using TuboCore which will only clock 3 of the 6 cores to 4.0Ghz or so. That is not the same as what most want to do with an overclock. Or how they wind-up doing it with most tutorials since they disable TurboCore and adjust the mutliplier upward and run with all cores on at whatever speed they can overclock up to. You are using the FX-6300 as AMD designed it to run but not how most overclock. I expect you can do what your are doing with that motherboard and experience the temps you are seeing. But I doubt you will have such results with the multiplier locked to a speed of 4.0ghz and all the cores on at the same time. Happy computering.
RGone...

Yes, I am fully aware that turbo core is not the same as making changes in bios. You say that turbo core only clocks 3 of the 6 cores. Interesting since core temp shows ALL 6 a 4.0Mhz not just 3 (see attached pic) I've been showing that core speed 24/7 while folding. So, is it a proper OC? No. But it's still OC'ed from stock and not just for a few minutes here or there. The point I was trying to make is this...If turbo core can boost clock speed to 4Mhz 24/7 stable then changes in bios should be about to also.
Don't get me wrong, I know you guys have more experience than me. And, I respect your opinions and advice.

Attachments

• core temp.JPG
    core temp.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 15
Yes, I am fully aware that turbo core is not the same as making changes in bios. You say that turbo core only clocks 3 of the 6 cores. Interesting since core temp shows ALL 6 a 4.0Mhz not just 3 (see attached pic) I've been showing that core speed 24/7 while folding. So, is it a proper OC? No. But it's still OC'ed from stock and not just for a few minutes here or there. The point I was trying to make is this...If turbo core can boost clock speed to 4Mhz 24/7 stable then changes in bios should be about to also.
Don't get me wrong, I know you guys have more experience than me. And, I respect your opinions and advice.

Perhaps AMD themselves are wrong. They say TurboCore will only clock up the full multiplier when 3 of the 6 cores are not under full load.

There is 2 levels of turbo now.
EXAMPLE
FX-6100 (3.3ghz)
level 1 : All 6 cores oc to 3.6ghz.
level 2 : Only 3 cores oc to 3.9ghz.

That is how AMD describes TuboCore for that cpu. What you have is unknown to me based on what AMD says. Maybe it is a board thing, which I will never experience since I will not have that board or its options. I think you can consider yourself lucky since I have not heard of TurboCore pushing ALL the cores to their max overclock nor does AMD say such is possible.
RGone...

Perhaps AMD themselves are wrong. They say TurboCore will only clock up the full multiplier when 3 of the 6 cores are not under full load.

There is 2 levels of turbo now.
EXAMPLE
FX-6100 (3.3ghz)
level 1 : All 6 cores oc to 3.6ghz.
level 2 : Only 3 cores oc to 3.9ghz.

That is how AMD describes TuboCore for that cpu. What you have is unknown to me based on what AMD says. Maybe it is a board thing, which I will never experience since I will not have that board or its options. I think you can consider yourself lucky since I have not heard of TurboCore pushing ALL the cores to their max overclock nor does AMD say such is possible.
RGone...

Well, I'll admit, if I had it to do over I would have gotten a better board. Maybe I got one of those elusive "golden" chips, I've heard of :)
As soon as I see how my temps will be once the real hot weather gets here, I'll jump into bios and OC this puppy.

Back