• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with general overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steffen013

I'm a uber green noob here when it comes to OCing. Can someone please help me OC my system.

Thanks

P.S. my system specs are on my profile.

:welcome: to OCF!

Here, let me help a little:
AMD 4200+ (11 x 200)
Asus M2N-E
4 GB DDR2
(Might want to add a note to this thread what your RAM is. 2x2Gb DDR2-800? Other?)

Here's a good thread to browse. Just skip over the little details if you don't want to know - but you should follow each step in order. There's a cheat sheet in post#26 to use as a general guide. Once you've covered a little of that we'll be here to answer questions. I know it's a lot of data - and you don't need all of it to OC - but it's good to get a rough idea of what you're dealing with ... :)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

AMD 4200+ (11 x 200)
Asus M2N-E
4 GB DDR2
(Might want to add a note to this thread what your RAM is. 2x2Gb DDR2-800? Other?)

Here's a good thread to browse. Just skip over the little details if you don't want to know - but you should follow each step in order. There's a cheat sheet in post#26 to use as a general guide. Once you've covered a little of that we'll be here to answer questions. I know it's a lot of data - and you don't need all of it to OC - but it's good to get a rough idea of what you're dealing with ... :)

Hi, QuietIce. Thanks for responding to my post! That was a very comprehensive guide you wrote, thank you very much. :salute:

My Ram is a little embarrassing I bought 2, 1gb sticks when I build the system and another 2, 1gb sticks at a later date. This was before I started understanding anything about memory timing, speed, etc. So.... they're miss-matched. It seems to run fine though?

Ram: 2= DDR2-667, 2= DDR2-800

Current Memory Timings : 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Hi, QuietIce. Thanks for responding to my post! That was a very comprehensive guide you wrote, thank you very much. :salute:

My Ram is a little embarrassing I bought 2, 1gb sticks when I build the system and another 2, 1gb sticks at a later date. This was before I started understanding anything about memory timing, speed, etc. So.... they're miss-matched. It seems to run fine though?

First thing I see is you are running at DDR2-667 ATM, due to that being the max for one of your RAM sticks, you may want to replace that set sooner rather than later, as that will allow you to set your divider lower to hit higher OC numbers while still being close to ddr2-800 speeds.

Ice's guide is dead on as far as learning to OC, and you should read that thing until you understand all the terms he uses in the guide. Then you will know enough for us to be able to assist you more. Good luck, and keep us posted :)

Hey, we all work with what we've got - don't worry about it. The most important performance advantage is CPU speed. RAM runs a distant second and the HT Link is more of an after-thought. ;)

You might try running just the two DDR2-800 sticks for now. Did you buy them as a kit or as individual sticks?

If they're individual then you should check the factory timings to see how close they are to each other. If you use the CPU-Z SPD tab you'll see the factory timings and voltage for various speeds at the bottom. There is also a drop-down to choose which RAM stick is being read. Check both and compare to see if they're the same ...

Back