• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my 1.6a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
micamica1217 said:

the bd7II is nice but the p4pe has better voltage options and better temp readings....at $124 for a non-raid, non S-ATA it's a steal.

the max 2 2edition is also a great board, yet as you said, price is a factor.

there is just no reason not to go with a "PE" chipset mobo today.

GB might be just around the corner, yet I too have to watch my budget. (paying almost $75 more for just a little extra bandwith:mad: )

mica

Yes, there is not doubt temps read high and voltages read low on the BD7-II. But once you understand the temp is inflated by 5C and the voltage will read 1/2V low on the 12V it is a very effective board.

I considered the P4PE, but I could not justify 50% more just to get a 4:5 multipler. This is the only reason to consider PE boards, which the P4PE is one of. But as you said, putting big money into a PE board is probably not wise. If your ram is good screaming cheap boards like the BD7-II will provide clear improvements in fsb capablity over his current SiS for less than 90 bucks.

larva said:

As long as it's cheap, the RDRAM will be fun to play with. My system hovers in the 3260 range one sandra, but with a cpu that allows more fsb 3800 is achievable. Not that Sandra means anything...

My next purchase will be a new 1.8a that tolerates 175+ on the fsb. The increase in on chip clock speed will dwarf any difference between RDRAM and DDR. That is why I suggest a new cpu and a good 512MB DDR stick for your machine. A good 1.8a with a stick of ram that will keep up on a BD7-II will outscore your 166fsb limited 1.6a no matter what board you put it on. And you could sell the 1.6a for more than the BD7. But I understand the lure of a good deal, $35 for a TH7 is attractive.
agreed. those new 1.8a C1's look truly amazing.

even though i am currently limited to 166 i believe once i get a decent hs/f that will go up considerably. this appears to be quite a good o/cing chip. this will also help the memory speeds too, naturally.

larva said:

Yes, there is not doubt temps read high and voltages read low on the BD7-II. But once you understand the temp is inflated by 5C and the voltage will read 1/2V low on the 12V it is a very effective board.

I considered the P4PE, but I could not justify 50% more just to get a 4:5 multipler. This is the only reason to consider PE boards, which the P4PE is one of. But as you said, putting big money into a PE board is probably not wise. If your ram is good screaming cheap boards like the BD7-II will provide clear improvements in fsb capablity over his current SiS for less than 90 bucks.

again, I like the bd7II, yet I'm talking about the lack of better core voltage options (bd7II-- +5%,+10%,+15%)....also, most of them undervolt a little also. and max 1.7v core,( I forgot the max vmem ).

mica

the p4pe is better all around for me.

micamica1217 said:

again, I like the bd7II, yet I'm talking about the lack of better core voltage options (bd7II-- +5%,+10%,+15%)....also, most of them undervolt a little also. and max 1.7v core,( I forgot the max vmem ).

mica

the p4pe is better all around for me.

Cool, glad you like it. I've got a P4PE/L/F coming in today to build my sister's 2.4b on. She wanted firewire, raid, et al on board, so it is really apealing for her application. At 140 bucks it's not cheap, but no more than any other board that incorporates all the features it does.

I agree that the BD-7II does not put a lot of voltage on the cpu. 1.65V in my case. Fortunately I observe a 1.65V limit for my northwoods already, so this is not a factor for me. My P4S533 would put 1.8V on a chip, but still wouldn't exceed 150fsb. Even with the minimal 1.65V allowed on the BD7-II, 162fsb is a reality.

I understand the P4PE will put a lot more voltage on the cpu, so if this is the goal it is does appeal on this count.

Maxvla said:

agreed. those new 1.8a C1's look truly amazing.

even though i am currently limited to 166 i believe once i get a decent hs/f that will go up considerably. this appears to be quite a good o/cing chip. this will also help the memory speeds too, naturally.

Perhaps just the change of board will allow more fsb, you never know. Each combination is its own, as each cpu is.

I haven't found the retail heatsink to limit fsb to any degree, but I bought an AX478 anyway because they are cheap. I highly recommend one as you are running the stock cooler. I dropped 5C of the max temperature on my chip while only using a 2900rpm/37cfm fan. If you have a tolerance for noise you can fit a tornado and drop many more degrees yet. A very good use for 25 bucks.

larva said:

Perhaps just the change of board will allow more fsb, you never know. Each combination is its own, as each cpu is.

I haven't found the retail heatsink to limit fsb to any degree, but I bought an AX478 anyway because they are cheap. I highly recommend one as you are running the stock cooler. I dropped 5C of the max temperature on my chip while only using a 2900rpm/37cfm fan. If you have a tolerance for noise you can fit a tornado and drop many more degrees yet. A very good use for 25 bucks.
yes.. my plan is an ax478 or the p4 version of the slk800 (whenever it comes out) and a vantec tornado 80mm

those together will probly run me 40-45 bucks or so. depending on the hs.

Yeah, I agree the SLK800 is the best out there. The Alpha, AX478, and Swiftech are all very good, but the SLK800 seems to surpass them all, especially with stout fans. You could always get one of those brackets that allows you to attatch Socket A heatsink to the P4 board an use the current SLK800. I have seriously considered going this route to open up the choices in heatsinks, but after having tried the AX478 find it good enough. As fan speed decreases the AX478 compares more favorably to the SLK800, and I like quiet fans.

larva said:
Yeah, I agree the SLK800 is the best out there. The Alpha, AX478, and Swiftech are all very good, but the SLK800 seems to surpass them all, especially with stout fans. You could always get one of those brackets that allows you to attatch Socket A heatsink to the P4 board an use the current SLK800. I have seriously considered going this route to open up the choices in heatsinks, but after having tried the AX478 find it good enough. As fan speed decreases the AX478 compares more favorably to the SLK800, and I like quiet fans.
link to such adapter?

adap2.jpg

Notice the three small tabs down each side of the bracket, down near the mounting surface to the motherboard. These allow a one or three lug socket A/370 heatsink to clip on just like it would to the nubs on the side of a cpu socket. I believe you can orient the heatsink in either direction, but I have not personally used one.

UPS just arrived, new toy time :D Time to see if a 256MB value ram will stand any more than the 512MB version. 14K is within reach, despite my below average Ti4400.

Holy crap, I just got back from tech and i didn't expect like 16 extra posts :eek:

Anyways, im going to look @ the bd7-II and the p4pe ..
thanx guys

I had a look at the abit bd7-II and it says that it only supports ddr266 ...
so I think Ill look into the p4pe

Goten^ said:
I had a look at the abit bd7-II and it says that it only supports ddr266 ...
so I think Ill look into the p4pe
it says it only supports ddr 266 but it will take anything you throw at it.

larva has his running at ddr 436. mine runs at ddr 420.

Alright cool, ill try some new memory before I try the mainboard... i've been needing 512 of ram anyways :D!

Back