• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my Phenom II X2 555

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

calriclarc

Registered
good day guys, just want to ask for help, here is my pc specs
CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555
Mobo - ASrock N68 S Ucc
Memory - Gskill Ripjaws 2x2gb 1600 CL 9 9 24
PSU - Hec Rapter II 500watt
Gpu - Powercolor HD6850 overclocked at 850/1200

just want ask, ive successfully unlocked my cores at 4, passed intelburn test at stock setting but when i increase my CPU speed to 3.4ghz, when i run interburntest after passing maybe around 3.4 test my pc turns off, what do i need to do? and may i ask also how can i overclock my GPU pass 850/1200? ATI Overdrive/Msi Afterburner only lets me go 850 and i cannot pass it, i cant even increase my GPU voltage, can anyone please help me? any help and and suggestions are highly appreciated,

THANKS

You probably need more voltage to the CPU (what we call "vcore" or core voltage around here). Just like your muscles need more oxygen and energy when you run instead of walk so a CPU needs more electrical push when you try to make it run faster.

But have you done any temp checking while loading the CPU? HWMonitor is a great program for this. You need first to relock the two extra cores, run Prime95 blend for 20 minutes with HWMonitor already open in the background and take note of max core and max CPU socket temps. You need to relock the cores because once you turn core locker on you lose the ability to monitor core temps. Note the differential between core temps and CPU socket temps because that differential will stay the same once you unlock the cores again. Then you can calculate the core temp by adding or subtracting the differential. Note that in HWMonitor, CUP socket temp may show up as CPUTIN or may be one of the generic TMPINx lines. The point of all this is that we know from experience that AMD CPUs often become unstable once core temps begin to exceed about 55c. And you want to prevent CPU socket temps from exceeding 70c and core temps from exceeding 65c to prevent damage. Also, you have not told us anything about your CPU cooler. Are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket one and if the latter, what is the make and model?

Your motherboard is very low end so it probably won't allow a high overclock. It's probably rated for 95W TDP and when you unlock the cores of the PII X2 955 you jack up the TDP of the CPU to around 125W and that is without any overclocking.

sorry forgot to put the cooler, it is ibp with 2 fans installed, cpu temps are around 39-43, and about my board, what do you suggest i replaced it to? ive tried tweaking cpu voltage to 1.4 and oc it to just aroung 3.6ghz and with no luck after 1 test on intel burn test, my pc just turns itself off, maybe its all about my board only supporting 95w max cpu?

sorry forgot to put the cooler, it is ibp with 2 fans installed, cpu temps are around 39-43, and about my board, what do you suggest i replaced it to? ive tried tweaking cpu voltage to 1.4 and oc it to just aroung 3.6ghz and with no luck after 1 test on intel burn test, my pc just turns itself off, maybe its all about my board only supporting 95w max cpu?

it may very well be because of the motherboard.try the 3.6 overclock with 2cores. see if that passes.

right now i tried it with two cores and oc'ed it to 3.6 at stock voltage, it passed intelburntest with ease, will try getting it to 4.0 at stock, but why is it that when at 4cores at 3.6ghz at 1.4v when i run intelburntest my pc tends to turn off

Very bad core that 'was' hidden or made not usable for a reason. Almost like a short. OR you have still not given enough CPU voltage for the unlocked core that "needs" a lot of voltage to be made usable and why the cores may have been hidden to begin with.

but i tried giving it 1.45v when at 4cores at 3.6ghz, when i try to run intelburntest, after a few seconds or minutes my pc turns off, why is that??

YOU can go back and choose to edit 'post' #4 and #5 and at the bottom choose to delete each of those useless added post of the same content as post #3.

One of the unlocked cores OR both are really defective and is why the two cores were hidden by AMD and the cpu sold as a two core processor.

no chance to unlocked and oc it to a stable state even if i change my board? how can i make it only 3cores insted of 4 to unlock?

right now, ive oc'ed my 2cores 555 to 4.0ghz with 1.425v, maybe ill oc it a little bit higher to find how much it will last,

stable at 4ghz 1.425v, nb at 2000mhz, when i try to increase the multiplier to x21 i get hangs after bootup, still this is 2cores only, when i unlock to 4cores i never get pass stock clocks even when i tweak voltage to higher ones, is this the board or maybe my psu?

Well, the motherboard is very low end so I would start there with an upgrade. No one can guarantee that you will get a higher overclock with a better board but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Then I would go for a better case with lots of fans for good ventilation. Good case ventilation is crucial to keeping temps down. And get one at least 8" wide so you have enough clearance to the side panel and so you can put your side panel back on. There are some very good wide cases out there with lots of places for fans for around $60 US like the Coolermaster HAF 912 and the Antec 300. Then I would go for a better PSU. Hec/Orion is not noted as a quality PSU manufacturer. You have some good quality components in your CPU, memory, and cooler but the rest is sub par.

In the meantime you might try placing a household fan to blow into the open side of your case to cool the motherboard components and see if that doesn't help the overclock. When you take the side panel off a case like you have you disrupt the flow of air through the case so that the motherboard doesn't get cooled even though the CPU cooler has access to fresh air.

Last edited:
stable at 4ghz 1.425v, nb at 2000mhz, when i try to increase the multiplier to x21 i get hangs after bootup, still this is 2cores only, when i unlock to 4cores i never get pass stock clocks even when i tweak voltage to higher ones, is this the board or maybe my psu?

99.95% sure one or both of your unlocked cores are bad-- That's why they're locked.

You should have a core control wherever you unlock the cores-- Core0 and Core1 are good, you don't need to mess with those.

Core2 and Core3. Disable Core3 first, then do a modest OC (Do 2 multi bumps without any voltage or RAM timign changes) and run IBT or prime for a while. If you lock up / shut down, then try Core2 disabled and Core3 enabled.

I had an unlocked Phenom II with a bad 4th core (Sitting in a box on my desk actually) given to me free by a guy who thought he blew up his processor after unlocking and crashing.

I doubt your PSU or your mobo are the causes of your problem.

I should have read your last two posts from early this morning more carefully. If you're getting 4.0 ghz out of that CPU as a two core on air cooling you really can't expect more than that and you don't need a new motherboard. Just stress test it with Prime95 blend for at least two hours to make sure it's stable. Spend you money on a new, wider case so you can close it up.

I suspect the problem is in MB and PSU. Of course we dont know if two of the hidden cores are really bad or something else is acting on here.
I will just share my story.
See my system on my signature. Currently i am running same CPU as yours (x2 555) as x4 B55 at 3.6 GHz on stock voltage of 1.34. It is solid stable like rock. Just about a month ago i ran Prime95 on this setting for more than 8 hours and this system held very well. It needs i tick more voltage to run at 3.8 GHz.

As you mentioned that, your system easily pass IBT as 4 core, I am very much hopeful that your hidden 2 cores are viable with better MB and PSU. BTW, how you overclocking it? how is your RAM setting, try your ram at 1333 instead of 1600.

Back