• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new cooling Setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HKR

Registered
Hello,

Firstly let me say that i am fairly new to the Liquid cooling setup etc, i have the basic knowledge though. Well, i am planning to order a few components for my liquid cooling setup, however i live in India and am very much restricted with options as to what i should order as i plan to order these from U.S and a few sites only are willing to ship to India via DHL.

Well i have narrowed it down to Xoxide.com and added these components to my cart for now:

1) Swiftech H20-220 Ultima XT Water Cooling Kit $289.95
2) Enzotech VGA-IB Forged Copper VGA Waterblock $58.95
3) PrimoChill PC ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Fluid (32oz.) $12.99

Along with a few Fans by Bitfenix for my Case (HAF X). I know the current cooling kit i am choosing is not much of a DIY kit as it already comes with all the components and you don't get to choose your selection of pump, radiator etc whereas the components i have added in my cart on frozenpc.com are individual components for the kit as follows:

1) Swiftech Apogee HD High Performance 4-Port CPU Waterblock - Black (Apogee-HD-BK) $69.99
2) Swiftech MCP655™ 12v Water Pump w/ Speed Control and 3/8" Conversion Kit (317 GPH) $104.95
3) Swiftech MCW82 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Black (NVIDIA GeForce / ATI Radeon) $56.95
4) Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 Inline Reservoir - Ice Red (BP-WTZM250P-IRDBK) $49.95
5) Black Ice GT Stealth 420 Radiator - Black $97.95
6) Lamptron 30W - 4 Channel Aluminum Rheobus w/ Multi Color Backlit LED - Version 2 - Black (FC-5V2)
7) PrimoChill Pure Performance Coolant (32oz) - Blood Red

Well, as you might already know i am very much limited to options available on these sites and not to forget the $250+ in shipping charges and custom duties etc so i am kind of bound by my budget too.

I just wanted to know what you guys think of my cooling setup components, and if any make changes and suggestion to my above setup. In the 2nd setup i am a bit confused as to what size nozzles/barbs/hoses etc i would require. I see some items come with a 1/2 ID & 5/16 OD where as others don't and so on....

Kindly pour in your advices & suggestion as i want to finalize within the next 2-3 days max.

Thanks.

Hello HKR and welcome to OCF.

I apologize for being confused. Are you asking opinions regarding the top numbered list of parts or the lower numbered list?

If you get the kit, all the parts will fit together. Get similar tubing and fittings to connect to the VGA waterblock, which I presume is a universal VGA block instead of a full-cover. In that case you will need the requisite heatsinks for the VRM and possibly VRAM if you OC.

I use distilled water and silver so am not a fan of premixes but perhaps you have some good reason you can share. I and many others use silver and distilled water so maybe you can save money there if you don't need a pre-mix.

The ID & OD are the inner and outer diameter of the hose/tubing. What are your specific questions?

I know you want this to be 2 to 3 days max, but I suggest that expensive shipping to India deserves even more attention to get it all correct - hopefully the first time.

I strongly suggest you read: http://www.overclockers.com/beginners-guide-water-cooling/ because many of your answers to questions you haven't asked yet will be there. You can also learn to ask more pointed questions if we don't answer what you want.

There is also a Water-cooling FAQ in my signature plus Conumdrum's comprehensive set of links. You may also wish to link to parts you plan to purchase because some models are similar and it will lessen risk of error.

Perhaps when you get time, you can share your system you wish to cool, tell us what you think your heat load is, what you are using it for (is it on 24/7?), your tolerance for noise (to pick fans), etc.

Take your time and ask away. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Hello Musicfan,

thank you for your reply..

Well the first list has the complete kit as you said and its much cheaper options but i am not leaning towards it as i have already used 2 kits prior to this by thermaltake and this time i want to get separate components and 'make my own kit' if you get me?

I wouldn't be keeping the PC on 24/7 mostly but its always ON during the nights so i would use a fan controller to keep the fans slow at night in order to reduce the noise.

I already have the heatsinks for the VRM & VRAM so i plan on getting a Universal kit GPU water block because i might upgrade my GFX card soon hopefully, currently i am using a GTX 260 Black edition.

I really dont want to go with plain water, i want a premix mostly something like a UV red or blood red since i have red colored fans already ordered locally here along with my HAF X. I also have 4 red CCFL's for some lighting in my cabinet.

I have read the guide you linked me too along with other guides too, however i am still very confused with the sizes, as i am not sure if i go for 1/2 ID & 3/8 OD will this fit all my components like CPU & GPU block directly? or will i need to get some reducers etc? i planned on getting compression fittings instead of barbs.

Also, if you got some ideas on how i should loop my setup it would be great, i planned on this:

Pump>> CPU >> GPU >> radiator >> Reservoir >> Pump

What do you think?

Thanks.

Any sort of dye is going to build up in your loop, reducing performance and making you have to tear down the loop and scrub everything out more often. If you want color, get red tubing.

Will pre-mixed/pre-colored coolants cause the same problem? or only color DYE's cause this?

I really dont want to go with plain water, i want a premix mostly something like a UV red or blood red since i have red colored fans already ordered locally here along with my HAF X. I also have 4 red CCFL's for some lighting in my cabinet.
HKR, I have never used dyes and this is your call. But would red tubing satisfy or would Mayhem's dyes be a cheaper alternative?

I have read the guide you linked me too along with other guides too, however i am still very confused with the sizes, as i am not sure if i go for 1/2 ID & 3/8 OD will this fit all my components like CPU & GPU block directly? or will i need to get some reducers etc? i planned on getting compression fittings instead of barbs.
Glad you read the guides. The sizes are given both in inches and millimeters sometimes but 1/2" ID is the internal diameter (ID) of the tube or hose (around 13 mm). So tubing that is 1/2" ID & 3/4" OD has an internal diameter (the hole) of 1/2" and an outside diameter of 3/4" (about 19 mm). If you buy tubing that is 1/2" ID & 3/4" OD, you must buy the same size compression fittings...or a 1/2" barb with clamp. If you buy 3/8" ID & 5/8" OD" tubing you must buy the smaller but same size compression fittings...or a 3/8" barb with clamp. Here is an excellent review of tubing.

The G1/4" refers to a parallel thread size and is best described in the Wiki. G 1/4" is the part that fits into the block and the 1/2" or 3/8" is the part of the fitting that holds the tubing. Does that help? We can label a photo if you wish.

Also, if you got some ideas on how i should loop my setup it would be great, i planned on this:

Pump>> CPU >> GPU >> radiator >> Reservoir >> Pump

What do you think?

Thanks.

Loop order is fine. Main thing is reservoir before pump to feed the pump so it never runs dry. Otherwise loop order seldom matters much. Hope that gets you started. Keep asking questions and good luck. :)

Would you be able to help me with how many compressor fittings i would require? i assume 2 per component? which would be :

CPU : 2
GPU : 2
RAD : 2
RES : 2
making it 8 in all?

My main issue here is, do all my components listed in the 1st post have the same size fitting? I mean will the CPU/GPU/RES/RAD all be connected using the same 1/2 ID & 3/8OD hoses or will i need to get different sizes for all components?

I have taken a screenshot of my cart what i plan to order as soon as i can finilize it. Please take a look and tell me if i should add/remove/replace any item in it.
2ih5y5u.jpg

Would you be able to help me with how many compressor fittings i would require? i assume 2 per component? which would be :

making it 8 in all?

My main issue here is, do all my components listed in the 1st post have the same size fitting? I mean will the CPU/GPU/RES/RAD all be connected using the same 1/2 ID & 3/8OD hoses or will i need to get different sizes for all components?

Typically you need 2 compression fittings per component. One to go in and one to go out. But your Swiftech mcw82 GPU universal block looks like it comes with 2 barbs, is that correct? And your D5 pump choice has built-in 1/2" barbs, correct? And it's unclear how you are going to arrange your reservoir. Will it fit inside your case? Are you going to use a fill-tube? Do you have a build log that you are following so you know where it all fits? There are many build-logs for the HAF X case.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct about the fittings that come with the GPU block and the Pump. I would be fitting the reservoir inside the case itself next to the pump. I haven't written any build-log as such but i have a general idea as to what and how i will setup things.

As you side the GPU block comes with 2 barbs, what if i dont wish to use those and want compressor fittings? The RES i wish to use does not come with any fitting barbs or clamp. And the description read's this:

"The bottom piece gives the user 3 options for placing G1/4" fittings/barbs as inlets or outlets. Additionally, the top is fitted with G1/4" thread port used for a fitting/barb as an inlet from a fill port."

Does this mean i need some other type of fitting first to attach to the RES and then use the compressor fitting?

I have taken a screenshot of my cart what i plan to order as soon as i can finilize it. Please take a look and tell me if i should add/remove/replace any item in it.
2ih5y5u.jpg

1. Red fans are fine.
2. CPU block is fine.
3. D5 pump is fine - I own one. But you may wish to consider the mcp 35x since it is smaller with PWM control and built-in G 1/4" threads.
4. mcw82 is fine.
5. Not sure about the BP tank. It may depend on your pump choice. The 250 may be big so check some build logs. Would a 150 fit better? (Phobya makes a popular one too)
6. For fan information, see the link in my signature.
7. The radiator is a 420 or 140.3. Will that fit in a HAF X? I have a 120.3 in my HAF 932 and am not sure I could fit a 140.3. Again make sure you have a build-log so you don't get a radiator you can't use. If you must have a 30 mm rad, I would look at a Alphacool ST30. The Swiftech mcr-xp is only 34 mm and the XSPC-EX is only 35. Do you know what size you must have to clear your motherboard RAM and heatsinks?
8. Fan controller is fine.

Please try and take your time. Perhaps others will comment. I will check in tomorrow and see if you still need help. You are making progress. Good luck. :)

You are absolutely correct about the fittings that come with the GPU block and the Pump. I would be fitting the reservoir inside the case itself next to the pump. I haven't written any build-log as such but i have a general idea as to what and how i will setup things.

As you side the GPU block comes with 2 barbs, what if i dont wish to use those and want compressor fittings? The RES i wish to use does not come with any fitting barbs or clamp. And the description read's this:

"The bottom piece gives the user 3 options for placing G1/4" fittings/barbs as inlets or outlets. Additionally, the top is fitted with G1/4" thread port used for a fitting/barb as an inlet from a fill port."

Does this mean i need some other type of fitting first to attach to the RES and then use the compressor fitting?

You can unscrew the barbs and expose the G 1/4" thread to place any G 1/4" fitting (compressions or barbs) you wish.

That is why you need to make sure you mate the reservoir with the pump. If they are discrete (like my mcres), then you only need one in from the system and one out to the pump. But some of us like a fill-tube up top and that would be a third fitting. The places that don't need flow, you just put a stop there that screws in and fills the hole. Most reservoirs comes with a stop fitting or two.

The only additional fittings you might consider (once you get the res & pump figured out) are angled fittings that help guide tubing along a preferred angle such as a 45° fitting. Or sometimes if the radiator ports are hard to get to some use extensions of a various length.

When I said find "build logs", I mean find other people's threads for guidance. For example if I search this forum on "HAF" (your case) I get:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=9563488

I would start looking through those. Good luck. :)

making it 8 in all?

Got to bring this up. You say 1/2" ID and 3/8" OD. That is impossible ID means inside, OD means outside. Compression fitting are described like what I wrote. They are meant for tubing sizes.

Make sure your tubing fits your compression fittings EXACTLY, or they won't work.

5. Not sure about the BP tank. It may depend on your pump choice. The 250 may be big so check some build logs. Would a 150 fit better?

Some very good advice by musicfan. I have the same res here that I had in a Lian-Li a71 which is a big case as well and I found it to be too big. Hooking up any wires or SATTA cables was a pain, I almost had to take the res off to change any cables. I you are gonna use this res plan it out and make sure there is room for it.

HKR, I have never used dyes and this is your call. But would red tubing satisfy or would Mayhem's dyes be a cheaper alternative?
I think you are correct i have done some research and i think its best to let go the colored coolant and just get red colored tubing, so i have removed the colored coolant from the cart & decided to go with Distilled water itself.
Should i get silver foil then? Its available on frozencpu for about $7 and drop it in the RES?
5. Not sure about the BP tank. It may depend on your pump choice. The 250 may be big so check some build logs. Would a 150 fit better? (Phobya makes a popular one too)
Replaced the 250 RES with a 150 as advised to me :)

7. The radiator is a 420 or 140.3. Will that fit in a HAF X? I have a 120.3 in my HAF 932 and am not sure I could fit a 140.3. Again make sure you have a build-log so you don't get a radiator you can't use. If you must have a 30 mm rad, I would look at a Alphacool ST30. The Swiftech mcr-xp is only 34 mm and the XSPC-EX is only 35. Do you know what size you must have to clear your motherboard RAM and heatsinks?
Are you referring to this radiator here
I think any 120.3 radiator mounts very easily inside the case on top, though i am not sure yet if i want to mount it on top again adding to the heat inside the case, or mount it outside the case? If i decide to go with inside mount would i need to get those mount brackets which are listed below on the site as optional?

How about the Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360, i read its one of the best when comes to Heat Dissipation?
8. Fan controller is fine.
About the fan controller, i choose this since it has the most Wattage per channel that i could find and i want to connect my CCFL's to 2 off the channels, do you think its a good idea?

Got to bring this up. You say 1/2" ID and 3/8" OD. That is impossible ID means inside, OD means outside. Compression fitting are described like what I wrote. They are meant for tubing sizes.

Make sure your tubing fits your compression fittings EXACTLY, or they won't work.
Thanks for pointing this out i have taken a note off this now :)

Moving on, i have read quiet a few guides about tubing sizes and how bigger ID is not really always better. However what size tubing & What brand tubing you guys would recommend getting? Is 1/2 ID 5/8 OD a good size to get. I was thinking of red color tubing preferable if i get blood red even better....

1)Another thing i dont understand is, my CPU block compatibility chart says:
" Primary Inlet/Outlet-With 3/4" Tube OD fittings
Secondary Outlets-Max 3/8" tube OD fittings
Primary Intlet/Outlet-With 5/8" Tube OD fittings
Secondary Outlets-Max 1/2" Tube OD fittings "

Can someone pls explain me if my standard compression fitting that i get (1/2ID x 5/8OD ) would be compatible without any extra attachments?

2) Can i add a flow indicator? Or will it just hamper/slow the flow of water?

3) Started doing some homework now, drew up a few possible loop setups, and i think the best to do would be RES >> Pump >> RAD>> CPU >> GPU>> RES. This would significantly reduce the length of piping required! - Your comments pls.

4) Another prb i just realized is there isint any red tubing available for the 1/2 ID x 5/8 OD :(
Its only available in 1/2 ID x 3/4 OD.

1/2 ID 5/8 OD is thin walled and kinks easy, it's 1/16" wall thickness. Most of us use 1/8" wall thickness.

Get 3/8" ID tubing, 1/2" OD and compressions to match that.

Or go with the 3/4" OD ones and buy expensive Bitspower rotaries to let the compressions have space., 45 degree ones, you'll need two.

1/2 ID 5/8 OD is thin walled and kinks easy, it's 1/16" wall thickness. Most of us use 1/8" wall thickness.

Get 3/8" ID tubing, 1/2" OD and compressions to match that.

Or go with the 3/4" OD ones and buy expensive Bitspower rotaries to let the compressions have space., 45 degree ones, you'll need two.

Do you think this is a good product here

Will 10ft of this suffice for my loop?

Been issues with a batch of Primo LRT clouding badly. Maybe look at Danger Den tubing, Feser etc.

Don't know if all the bad batches of tubing are gone yet.

Most of us get 10' and it's enough for a build.

All right, i replaced the Primo LRT with Feser Tube Active UV Hose - 3/8" ID (1/2"OD) UV Red.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me exactly how many compression fittings i would require and elbows etc i would require, i dont mind getting a pair extra rather having to find out later i haven't got enough.

As per my calculation i would need 2 per component making it 10 of these(2 spare)
I would also need 2 elbow pieces for the GPU block, however i am not able to find these in the same brand and color on frozenpc :(

Back