• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with new gaming / general use build, $2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

I'm looking to build a new gaming / general use rig.

I've looked through the forums and have seen some threads referencing new CPUs and maybe a new GPU in the near future?

I'm currently running an i5 2500k at 3.0-3.5MHz with an ASRock z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 665 MHz and a XFX Radeon HD 6870. I have 1 HD (2TB) and 1 SSD (much smaller, I'm seeing 57GB b/t free and used space) but am not attached to either. I'm keeping this rig intact, so what I want will be a brand new build.

What I want out of the new rig:

Support the latest and greatest monitor. I'm on the same Dell 2407 I got probably 8 years ago. I've done multiple monitors and I don't care for it. I'll be running one large (4k?) monitor / TV. (Advice post soon to follow)

Play games flawlessly on said monitor. I don't game much, but when I do it's for an hour or two and I'd like great graphics.

Possibly serve as a media server in my home network. I'm not talking about streaming tons of movies, just having the space for some movies and a ton of pictures and music.

I'd like to stick with Intel, I'd like a mobo with room to grow, case size is not an issue, I'd like to watercool at least the CPU, and I'd like 32GB RAM. GPU I'm leaning towards one of the 1080s but I have no loyalty. Storage-wise I'd like ample space on the OS SSD drive, and am open to suggestions on the rest.

Keep in mind; case, fans, optical drive, PSU, etc, as this will be a start-from-scratch build.

What would you build for $2500?

Thanks for your input!

You'll need to look at two strong video cards in SLI or Crossfire if you want fast frame rates on a 4k monitor. So you are looking at $1000-$1200 just for the GPUs. Two GTX 1080s perhaps or wait a bit and AMD is coming out with Vega soon and AMD tends to be a little less pricey for approximately the same rendering power.

Most of the 4k monitors out now have a 60 mhz refresh rate but more 144 mhz offerings are on the brink if that's something important to you.

AMD is supposedly coming out later this month I believe with their new "Zen" (or ryzen) CPU family which reportedly will give go toe to toe with current Intel CPU offerings but will likely be cheaper.

In short, I would hang on for a bit with regard to some of the key components and focus on the things that aren't changing in the near future like case, RAM, storage, PSU and cooling. SSD prices are going up because of a developing chip shortage so you need to look at pulling the trigger on storage soon.

I can spend more if needed... The goals are the same. I haven't found much as far as what 4k monitors require to run well, so I'll take into consideration having to buy 2 cards.

Thanks for the input!

It would probably be smart to look at a 500 gb SSD or nmve for storing the programs and a 2 tb spinner hard drive for storage.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147594

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD1P08389

You have to decide if you want to go with an i5 (sweet spot for gaming) or an i7 (great for gaming and all around fast computing) Kaby Lake.

With motherboards there are many good choices but the ASRock Extreme series is very popular and the Asus "A" series if very popular. Socket 270 of course.

For cooling, if you go with the i5 then then a 2x120 fan radiator all in one water system would be very adequate. If you move up to an i7 then I would recommend going to a 3x120 fan raditor system. Again, many good choices in all in one water systems. Are you considering a custom built water loop?

Pick a case. We can't choose your aesthetic preference, so it is better that you choose it, and ask if there is anything you need to know about said case. Since you want to watercool, look for some cases that have the rubber passthroughs*unless you want your system all internal.*

We can suggest cases as well, and surprisingly, I suggest the Corsair Air 540, because you have two spots for big rads, a 240 on top, and a 320 on the front.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

There is also a ton of room on the other side for various bits and bobs, as well as wire management. Less wires and more tubes in the front.

But It isn't really MADE for watercooling, and it does take up a large footprint because it is a cube case. It supports Full ATX motherboards, meaning all mobos are open, and its SEXY. ;)

It comes with a magnetic filter for the front, but I do suggest buying a 140mm filter for the PSU area.

Pick a case. We can't choose your aesthetic preference, so it is better that you choose it, and ask if there is anything you need to know about said case. Since you want to watercool, look for some cases that have the rubber passthroughs*unless you want your system all internal.*

We can suggest cases as well, and surprisingly, I suggest the Corsair Air 540, because you have two spots for big rads, a 240 on top, and a 320 on the front.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

There is also a ton of room on the other side for various bits and bobs, as well as wire management. Less wires and more tubes in the front.

But It isn't really MADE for watercooling, and it does take up a large footprint because it is a cube case. It supports Full ATX motherboards, meaning all mobos are open, and its SEXY. ;)

It comes with a magnetic filter for the front, but I do suggest buying a 140mm filter for the PSU area.

With the option for a 3x120 rad that sounds like a good recommendation. But if money needs to go for other critical components there are cheaper options out there.

With the option for a 3x120 rad that sounds like a good recommendation. But if money needs to go for other critical components there are cheaper options out there.

If it is rad space your looking for though, look at its ugly big brother, the Air 740.

360 Rad in front, 280 top AND bottom.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-740-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

I just think the case itself is Hideous, and there is no 5.25 bays on it either.

That's fair on the money thing though. They are expensive cases.

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB C14 (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case
EK-KIT L360 (R2.0)
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
(1) Gallon Distilled Bottled Water
Hold out for the Ti

If you shop it you can get in around 2.5K

Last edited:
the thing is no 5.25 bays. I actually use both on the air540, and wish I had more lol

Yeah, but that is what external USb optical drives are made for and most of us don't even use them much anymore cause so much of that has been replaced with flash drives. I can see your point of someone is doing a lot of archiving from old optical DVD/CD movie and music media to other media, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB C14 (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case
EK-KIT L360 (R2.0)
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
(1) Gallon Distilled Bottled Water
Hold out for the Ti

If you shop it you can get in around 2.5K

Witchy, didn't you leave out the GPU or GPUs?

You mean where you say, "Hold out for the Ti"? I saw that but it wasn't clear to me that you had factored that into the cost because there was no specific information about the model number. Are you inferring a GTX 1080 ti ?

So do you think 1 1080 Ti would suffice for running his 4k monitor for gaming?

I think that is what the Ti will be designed to do

If not obviously the $ 2500.00 would need to be allocated differently .

here is a few dollars at Performance PC

Spend $25 get 6% off: "VALDAY17-6"
Spend $250 get 8% off: "VALDAY17-8"
Spend $1000 get 10% off: "VALDAY17-10"

Last edited:
Is it for sure that the 1080 ti will be produced. From what I've read it hasn't actually been announced yet but most are speculating it will probably happen.

I have read a March release, but who knows

if not 1x 1080 does not make the trip for 4k

Down side of SLI is if a game is not supported it is academic anyways

Yes, SLI/Crossfire has that drawback so if there is a one video card solution at a reasonable price then that is definitely the way to go. Then again, are more and more games supporting SLI/Crossfire as time goes on?

Back